• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England 05 v England 13

Tom Halsey

International Coach
If anything I think that's an apt description of 2005 more than 2011/12.
Yep agreed.

2005 obviously had the higher peak; if you were to put the current side against the 2005 Aussies then they'd be favourites to lose fairly comfortably I'd imagine. I actually think the current side is quite a lot better than the 2005 side though.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Flintoff 05 bats above Prior, no doubt about that.
Just because he averaged more I don't think I'd want him moved up. It would overdo his ego and he'd probably go *****. Great guy though he is.

Yep agreed.

2005 obviously had the higher peak; if you were to put the current side against the 2005 Aussies then they'd be favourites to lose fairly comfortably I'd imagine. I actually think the current side is quite a lot better than the 2005 side though.
I'm not sure they would lose xomfortably. It was very shaky stuff that got England across the line in 05. Without McGrath in 2 tests, I think I'd still give at least a drawn series with so much rain around at OT that year.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Just because he averaged more I don't think I'd want him moved up. It would overdo his ego and he'd probably go *****. Great guy though he is.

I'm not sure they would lose xomfortably. It was very shaky stuff that got England across the line in 05. Without McGrath in 2 tests, I think I'd still give at least a drawn series with so much rain around at OT that year.
It only rained on the Saturday. That's good for OT!

91Jmay

International Coach
Depends on the conditions tbh. Green seamers and 05 win in 4 days but if its a bit flatter and dryer then Swann really is a massive x-factor over Giles.

Riggins

International Captain
Flatter and dryer favours the reverse of Jones in particular, and also Flintoff, more than Swann. Jones in 05 was about the biggest X-Factor you can get. It was an incredible series.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Combined XIs (only 2005 and 2013 series taken into account):

England:
Trescothick, Strauss, Vaughan, Pietersen (05), Bell (13), Flintoff, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Jones

Australia:
Rogers, Langer, Ponting, Clarke (13), Katich, Smith, Gilchrist, Warne, Harris, Siddle, McGrath

Interesting to look at how poor Lee and Gillespie were statistically in the '05 series, and how rubbish Martyn and Katich were throughout. Hayden pretty quiet as well.

Things would look very different if 06/07, 09 and that mythical 10/11 series were taken into account though.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I have no real memory of it outside of those fancy video packages that focus on Flintoff smashing sixes and taking poles; I was still in primary school at the time (feel old now?) so wasn't really staying up to 3am to watch the games to completion. Hence why I put the "statistically" qualifier on what I was saying.

Marto was such a good bat, criminally underrated.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
marto got absolutely sawn off that series.
There was a particularly bad one at Trent Bridge. Iirc Slater goes 'big inside edge' then the fingers goes up and he says 'wow I thought I heard an inside edge' - it was massive. Terrible shame :ph34r:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Katich got one or two roughies too.

And don't forget Kasper's shocker :ph34r:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marto was awesome... My absolute favorite batsman from that aussie side.
The whole lineup was found out in that series tbh, the bowling from the English quartet was simply too good. Martyn actually played a vital innings at Lord's in the second innings, unlike Hayden who cashed in when conditions were the easiest in the series. That hundred was useless

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Marto was awesome... My absolute favorite batsman from that aussie side.
The whole lineup was found out in that series tbh, the bowling from the English quartet was simply too good. Martyn actually played a vital innings at Lord's in the second innings, unlike Hayden who cashed in when conditions were the easiest in the series. That hundred was useless
My perception now is that for too long the Australian batting line-up had had it too easy for the few years preceding the Ashes 05 - so when they came up against a talented, varied, and extremely fit and motivated 4-man pace attack, they suffered a bit of a culture shock.

I've heard a few people say that Australian batsmen hit a run of poor form in that series. I disagree, they were played into poor form by the intensity of England's bowlers. And having 4 in attack meant that each and every bowler was looking for either wickets or to inflict physical damage in every spell.

In that whole series, only in one or two sessions did I get the feeling our attack was going through the motions, the rest of the time they had the scent of blood.

All of the Aussie batsmen apart from Gilly hit half centuries in that series. All of them at least once looked like they were on top of their game (apart from Hayden who until the last match was holding the bat the wrong way). But across the series, they just buckled under our pressure.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, I have no real memory of it outside of those fancy video packages that focus on Flintoff smashing sixes and taking poles; I was still in primary school at the time (feel old now?) so wasn't really staying up to 3am to watch the games to completion. Hence why I put the "statistically" qualifier on what I was saying.

Marto was such a good bat, criminally underrated.
get the **** out.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There was a particularly bad one at Trent Bridge. Iirc Slater goes 'big inside edge' then the fingers goes up and he says 'wow I thought I heard an inside edge' - it was massive. Terrible shame :ph34r:
Wasn't that Old Trafford?

Riggins

International Captain
Wasn't that Old Trafford?

TB - 11.1 This time Mr Dar gets it wrong. Big inside edge as Martyn drives. The ball then hits pad and the loud shout for lbw is upheld! Australia in deep trouble now
OT - 42.5 oh dear! thick inside edge onto the pad but umpire Bucknor upholds the lbw appeal - Martyn walks away shaking his head