Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 120
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: England 05 v England 13

  1. #31
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,895
    Flintoff 05 bats above Prior, no doubt about that.

    Vaughan captains the side.

  2. #32
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,167
    No wayyyyyyy.

  3. #33
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,167
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Swap Prior and Flintoff, get Vaughan the **** out of the side.


    So so hard.

  4. #34
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,218
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Flintoff 05 bats above Prior, no doubt about that.

    Vaughan captains the side.
    Jimmeh hates Vaughan the captain.

    Get him to ****, stupid Yorkshire prick.


  5. #35
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    7,809
    Strauss was in pretty good form in the 2005 ashes. On form he probably deserves a spot ahead of Cook.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

  6. #36
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Strauss was in pretty good form in the 2005 ashes. On form he probably deserves a spot ahead of Cook.
    Cook's just hit 154*. He'll be fine

    Ftr I think the current side's managed a lot more. It's essentially the same team as over the last 3 years and I don't think the 2005 team would have won in India or so easily in Australia.

  7. #37
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Cook's just hit 154*. He'll be fine

    Ftr I think the current side's managed a lot more. It's essentially the same team as over the last 3 years and I don't think the 2005 team would have won in India or so easily in Australia.
    Drew in India didn't they? Without some key players and against a stronger Indian side IIRC.

    Hard to argue that they'd have won so easily in Australia, as no-else has done that. But the current side hasn't looked as good for much of the time since then. I think it was one of those things when everything comes together beautifully, including the state of the opposition.

    I suppose a better comparison might be how they fared against the best side in the world at the time. And we all know how the current lot went against SA in 2012.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 06-11-2013 at 06:26 AM.

  8. #38
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,719
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    I think it was one of those things when everything comes together beautifully, including the state of the opposition.
    If anything I think that's an apt description of 2005 more than 2011/12.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  9. #39
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If anything I think that's an apt description of 2005 more than 2011/12.
    Yeah, it's probably true for both.

  10. #40
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If anything I think that's an apt description of 2005 more than 2011/12.
    Yep agreed.

    2005 obviously had the higher peak; if you were to put the current side against the 2005 Aussies then they'd be favourites to lose fairly comfortably I'd imagine. I actually think the current side is quite a lot better than the 2005 side though.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

    R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

  11. #41
    State Vice-Captain schearzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Isla de Muerta
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Flintoff 05 bats above Prior, no doubt about that.
    .
    Just because he averaged more I don't think I'd want him moved up. It would overdo his ego and he'd probably go *****. Great guy though he is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    Yep agreed.

    2005 obviously had the higher peak; if you were to put the current side against the 2005 Aussies then they'd be favourites to lose fairly comfortably I'd imagine. I actually think the current side is quite a lot better than the 2005 side though.
    I'm not sure they would lose xomfortably. It was very shaky stuff that got England across the line in 05. Without McGrath in 2 tests, I think I'd still give at least a drawn series with so much rain around at OT that year.
    Current Favourite XI 1. Cook 2. Gayle 3. Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. Rahane 7. De Kock+ 8. Neesham 9. Johnson 10. Herath 11. Steyn

  12. #42
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,361
    Yeah maybe tbf, I still think they'd probably lose though.

  13. #43
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    Just because he averaged more I don't think I'd want him moved up. It would overdo his ego and he'd probably go *****. Great guy though he is.



    I'm not sure they would lose xomfortably. It was very shaky stuff that got England across the line in 05. Without McGrath in 2 tests, I think I'd still give at least a drawn series with so much rain around at OT that year.
    It only rained on the Saturday. That's good for OT!

  14. #44
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,323
    Depends on the conditions tbh. Green seamers and 05 win in 4 days but if its a bit flatter and dryer then Swann really is a massive x-factor over Giles.

  15. #45
    International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Get ready for a broken ****ing arm.
    Posts
    4,580
    Flatter and dryer favours the reverse of Jones in particular, and also Flintoff, more than Swann. Jones in 05 was about the biggest X-Factor you can get. It was an incredible series.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2011 England vs 2005 Ashes England team
    By fishyguy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 06:45 AM
  2. Replies: 103
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 10:51 AM
  3. England Now vs England in late 1990's
    By ozone in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 26-01-2008, 03:11 PM
  4. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 17-11-2002, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •