Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Pace in the past

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flametree View Post

I wonder if there is just a reasonable maximum speed you can achieve while still maintaining enough accuracy and technique to get some movement. Without the latter attributes, even the quickest bowler won't get much beyond lower grade cricket. Occasionally someone with particular physical attributes like Lee, Thomson, or Shoaib come along who can break the natural limit, but otherwise the rest of the bowlers will bowl 138-142 at best most of the time.
    An interesting point - I wonder what the javelin world record would be if the throwing arc was pro-rata the same size as the width of a pace bowler's target area

International 12th Man
    There's some video of Tyson in Australia on the net somewhere. To say that the Australian batsmen were brave facing him is an understatement!

I think there is some merit in the relativity argument (even without getting into the debate about absolute speeds). When one considers a world without bowling machines, facing the fastest bowlers (however fast they actually were) would have been difficult I would think.

I'm not denying the difficulty - just the speed of the average seamer
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post

I think there is some merit in the relativity argument (even without getting into the debate about absolute speeds).
    Yeah it's obviously purely in terms of difficulty to play, or how fast someone "feels," not the actual physical measurement of speed.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Height =/= pace. Height is going to get you more bounce (which is just as good as pace) but pace is generated by your strength (not just muscles but the gymnastish strength of your body) and your bowling action.

Neil Wagner and Mitch M both look about 5'11 when they stand next to Taylor, KW and McCullum (6'0, 5'8, 5'7 respectively) and they're both noticeably quicker than Kyle Mills and in the same range or a bit sharper than the very tall Tim Southee. Milne isn't tall tall either and looking overseas, Waqar and Marshall weren't giants.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised to see some big disparities in perception v reality if we were able to put past bowlers under the gun. When radars came in and were halfway accurate weren't people amazed at McGrath's lack of pace? And almost every test you see a ball and the commentator goes "woah that was quick!" and then the gun reads 135kph.

Maybe good bowling just looks and feels faster?

Anyway this thread is just made for Thierry Henry. Can't believe he hasn't found it yet.
    Bounce and seam movement can make you look quicker too.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Benaud says Tyson is the quickest he's seen, very marginally in front of Thommo.

Although Benaud played against Tyson so that sometimes skews the opinions....

It's hard to imagine anyone (for bio-mechanical reasons) being much quicker than Thommo in is prime. The ball practically grazed the floor before he slung it.

He had the perfect sling-action.

Arrogant bastard though

Pakistani's think Akthar was as quick as Thommo if not quicker. The pKAistani cricketers claim Mohammed Zahid was a yard quicker than Akthar too. Akthar simply had the most amazing action for a fast bowler, with unbelievable elasticity of his body. Zahis simply was pure power at the delivery stride.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Pakistani's think Akthar was as quick as Thommo if not quicker. The pKAistani cricketers claim Mohammed Zahid was a yard quicker than Akthar too. Akthar simply had the most amazing action for a fast bowler, with unbelievable elasticity of his body. Zahis simply was pure power at the delivery stride.
    Jeff Thomson at his peak from 74-76 would simply blow Akthar/Zahid away for pace and aggression - I'm sure that Fletcher, Edrich, Denness, Rowe, Richards, and Lloyd would agree.

Also, Thomson's feat of hitting the side-screen on the half-volley at both the SCG and Perth is simply incredible, and I'm willing to bet that it will never be repeated by another fast bowler, ever.
    Tendulkar - M.Waugh - Ponting - Richards - Dhoni - Bevan - Kapil Dev - Hadlee - Akram - Garner - Muralitharan

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Well, give akhtar the non-existent padding and helmets of the 1970s and see him blow away people. I doubt Thommo would be too much quicker than Akhtar let alone blow Akhtar and Zahid away.
    hendrix and Flem274* like this.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Yeah, we don't know how fast the fastest guys in the past were, but to suggest anyone would 'blow away' someone who's sent down a couple of balls at a 100 miles per hour is questionable tstl.

Akhtar going all out is one of the most awesome sights I've seen in cricket (in all my years of scouring youtube )

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Well, give akhtar the non-existent padding and helmets of the 1970s and see him blow away people. I doubt Thommo would be too much quicker than Akhtar let alone blow Akhtar and Zahid away.
    Akhtar really was a wonder when you think about it... I agree that I don't think anyone's ever bowled faster than him, and definitely not for so long. He bowled express throughout his career and didn't slow down much at all

Awesome bowler to watch, and when he turned it on, like in Colombo against Australia, simply unstoppable
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    He'd only be unstoppable if you tried rolling him down a hill.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    He'd only be unstoppable if you tried rolling him down a hill.

that would be true towards the end of his career for sure but even then he could crank it up into the mid 90s

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Yeah, we don't know how fast the fastest guys in the past were, but to suggest anyone would 'blow away' someone who's sent down a couple of balls at a 100 miles per hour is questionable tstl.

Akhtar going all out is one of the most awesome sights I've seen in cricket (in all my years of scouring youtube )
    Yes, but the Aussie score in the video was 4/343 with Ponting not out. Not a good choice to demonstrate 'blow away'.

On the other hand - Thomo at his peak could knock over world class batsman and dominate an entire series, not just bowl fast.

Last edited by watson; 06-11-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information