• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question- what is the last test hundred made without wearing a helmet?

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Interesting question! I'm a bit stumped! Boon 1992 vs India? Something by Richie Richardson?

adub

International Captain
According to your video "Richie Richardson wears a helmet for the first time in international cricket" Richie had scored 15 of his 16 test tons lidless which would make his 109 in Sydney in Jan 93 his last ton without a helmet.

robelinda

1993 could be it. I need to investigate a few innings that I can remember from the sub continent, may have been cap only.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Surely there have been some cap only innings on the subcontinent since, I can remember Graham Thorpe in a floppy sunhat on the subcontinent

stumpski

International Captain
There must have been many hundreds made in Asia, and elsewhere, when the batsman started off wearing a helmet but changed it to a cap or sunhat when the spinners were on. That used to be quite common. Now batsmen are apparently terrified of being hit on the head by a ball from Ashwin or Ojha.

theegyptian

Dhoni was my outside guess.

This was probably the only game he could have done it. 3rd Test: India v Sri Lanka at Mumbai (BS), Dec 2-6, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

He faced spinners for the first 57 runs before Welegedara came on. Now I can remember Dhoni batting without a helmet against some random medium pacer in the past and a sri lankan in mumbai would be as good a place as any but chances are he didn't do it this game.

All the photos of him batting are without a helmet and interestingly they have the shot to get to his hundred and he is still without a helmet even through Welegedra is bowling at the other end(normally they don't change every over between cap and helmet iirc if a pacer/spinner combo is bowling)

India claimed the No. 1 Test ranking | Photo | India v Sri Lanka 2009/10 | ESPN Cricinfo You'll have to scroll along the photos as it won't let me link to it.

Someone here can probably remember the game and discount this game.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There must have been many hundreds made in Asia, and elsewhere, when the batsman started off wearing a helmet but changed it to a cap or sunhat when the spinners were on. That used to be quite common. Now batsmen are apparently terrified of being hit on the head by a ball from Ashwin or Ojha.
Yeah I can't remember seeing this in ages. Maybe I've just not noticed but the last time I remember seeing it was Freddie during the 06 tour of India. Not a hundred, obv, and as I say I'm sure someone will have done it since but I've not seen it in years.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What about some chump versus Bangladesh in Bangladesh. Peter Fulton was batting with floppy the other day, not to mention a rather jaunty wide brimmed hat.

He'd have been opening the batting, so surely someone who can actually score runs at a decent clip would have a good chance of a helmet-less ton in Bangladesh?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
A couple of years ago when Clarke had that big score purple patch I seem to remember him batting in a cap a bit.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!

And it was glorious.

TBF he did start with a helmet, but it didn't last long.

robelinda

Loads of innings start with a helmet, but then a cap. Still hunting, Chris Lewis vs India 1993 looks a winner so far. If that is the last one then what a shock! Thorpe in Pakistan 2000/01 im investigating, and Ponting vs SL in 1999.

Flem274*

123/5
Riggins you'll be pleased to know T Mac is schooling his young opening partner for Auckland in the ways of the floppy.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
See, the fact we're all supposing it can only have happened recently in the subcontinent says everything one needs to know.