• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne on Ponting

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Something had to be done. Can't have him undermining team morale.

Warne just whoring for attention here. I used to think he'd make a great captain. Not so sure after I saw some of his Clive Palmer remedies for Australian cricket and the players he would pick in the test team if he was God and the only selector. Warne looks at an argument and comes down on the side of his best mate. He's just tight with pup and wont credit Ponting being right about him. Doesn't really matter that Ponting was as crap as a captain as he says. Its just a diversion to Ponting's observations on Clarke.
Warne probably would've been a good on field captain tactically, a bit like Clarke, but potentially as divisive as Clarke has been in the dressing room. As far as being a selector or in cricket admin, it's clear as **** that Warne has NFI.

On the whole, I think Aust cricket captains have to be pretty run of the mill, vanilla sort of blokes. Like Waugh. It's hard for guys with a bit of flamboyance to lead a test team.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't have a problem with all this.. Sport has become so boring with it's regurgitated sound bytes and plastic personalities.. it's nice to get an insight into the chemistry of what's going on in the team..I think Warne has been making a lot of his comments on his column in the Telegraph? Well someone is paying him for his opinion then, and when we all read it we can't say he doesn't have the right to an opinion..

The whole Aussie contingent sound very precious at the moment.. I heard Hussey talking about the problems surrounding Katich, Clarke and the team song after a test match win.. The whole thing was incredible to hear as an outsider who has no idea about Aussie culture.. I can't believe that these blokes who have struck fear into basically every opposing cricketer for about 15 years have had a catastrophic fallout over a song, arguably resulting in the end of Katich's career.. Seems a far cry from how I thought these Aussie teams operated..

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't have a problem with all this.. Sport has become so boring with it's regurgitated sound bytes and plastic personalities.. it's nice to get an insight into the chemistry of what's going on in the team..I think Warne has been making a lot of his comments on his column in the Telegraph? Well someone is paying him for his opinion then, and when we all read it we can't say he doesn't have the right to an opinion..

The whole Aussie contingent sound very precious at the moment.. I heard Hussey talking about the problems surrounding Katich, Clarke and the team song after a test match win.. The whole thing was incredible to hear as an outsider who has no idea about Aussie culture.. I can't believe that these blokes who have struck fear into basically every opposing cricketer for about 15 years have had a catastrophic fallout over a song, arguably resulting in the end of Katich's career.. Seems a far cry from how I thought these Aussie teams operated..
Yeah agree with all this. But there's always personality peculiarities even at that level of sport. For example, it's (now) well known much little Mark Taylor thought of QLD cricketers. Despite being the best team in Shield cricket during the period, an entire generation of top-notch bats and bowlers were basically ignored because of him and if they did manage to snag a game, you had things happening like this where Taylor didn't bowl Kasper for the entire second dig.

When the team's doing well, all this stuff is laughed off but when it's getting smashed, it's all we ****ing hear about.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
What was the story with Taylor and Qld cricketers? I've not heard this one before!

To the untrained eye, Kaspa seems like the kind of bloke Taylor would really like.

And Taylor and Healy (Qld) seem best mates.