• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne on Ponting

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Still stupid to release it before the Ashes. At the very least it gives KP another chance to hypocritically tell Clarke that no one likes him.

howardj

International Coach
I understand that the context was he was talking to a UK audience on TV, however even allowing for that, it's such a stupid comment on so many levels; the main one being that Ponting is jealous of Clarke's batting?

If there is anybody who harbours resentment it is Warne in not captaining Australia

Also confirms my thoughts that Warne thinks good captaincy is all about attacking fields - if you set a leg slip, bat pad, three silly mid-ons...you da man.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Still stupid to release it before the Ashes. At the very least it gives KP another chance to hypocritically tell Clarke that no one likes him.
It wasn't hypocritical given the context. Use words properly you complete moron.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hey hey I commended KP's sledging that day, but no doubt KP telling anyone that they aren't liked is hilarious, even if its a retort.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hey hey I commended KP's sledging that day, but no doubt KP telling anyone that they aren't liked is hilarious, even if its a retort.
I fully agree but it still wasn't hypocritical. Acknowledge this and apologise or there will be pictorial consequences via VM.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I fully agree but it still wasn't hypocritical. Acknowledge this and apologise or there will be pictorial consequences via VM.
Did you post this before or after the Hitler Tendulkar picture on my VM wall?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
See I've just written three different replies and then finally decided you were being a smart arse

91Jmay

International Coach
I think Clarke is a good captain, but the crap about his field changes and bowling changes is just guff for the large part. Its quite easy to take carefree gambles when you are well on the way to losing a test, not really much pressure is there.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have noticed one big difference between him and Ponting; long spells. Under Clarke, they basically don't exist, certain circumstances notwithstanding. If you so much as look like the bats are on top, to square-leg with you whereas Ponting would keep a bloke like Johnson bowling even if they were going after him.

Probably the difference between playing all your cricket in a strong era vs reaction to it being over.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
He's the only Test captain I've seen who gives new-ball bowlers one-over spells if that one over is particularly horrid.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
I think Clarke is a good captain, but the crap about his field changes and bowling changes is just guff for the large part. Its quite easy to take carefree gambles when you are well on the way to losing a test, not really much pressure is there.
lolwut, look at when Australia started bowling full and wide to Cook, Lyon went around the wicket to KP, and Trott was given odd field placings. Hardly a case of tactical gambles in garbage time.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's more likely:

a) media latch onto and report the bit where Ponting says Clarke's a bit of a ****"
b) media headline is "Clarke's a good guy - Ponting".

Given that, making the comments on the eve of an Ashes series is a bit stupid is it not?

Yeah sure, Ponting's retired. But **** me, show a bit of respect for the blokes still wearing the baggy green, particularly the guy who inherited the poisoned chalice from you and who had to score a mountain of runs to make up for how crap you were in your last 2 years.
I'm assuming you've read the book,

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
He's the only Test captain I've seen who gives new-ball bowlers one-over spells if that one over is particularly horrid.
This can't be good for the confidence of the bowler in question.

"go up and bowl lad, but a coupla over-pitched ones, and you're keeping the boundary warm, ya spanner"

No way this can work!

the big bambino

International Captain
Warne's such a **** I'm dropping him from my ATG team now. That'll show him.
Something had to be done. Can't have him undermining team morale.

Warne just whoring for attention here. I used to think he'd make a great captain. Not so sure after I saw some of his Clive Palmer remedies for Australian cricket and the players he would pick in the test team if he was God and the only selector. Warne looks at an argument and comes down on the side of his best mate. He's just tight with pup and wont credit Ponting being right about him. Doesn't really matter that Ponting was as crap as a captain as he says. Its just a diversion to Ponting's observations on Clarke.