• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne on Ponting

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Warne, what a ****. Bet he's still jealous that he himself wasn't captain of Australia. The same way he still hold petty jealousies against Steve Waugh and Gilchrist.

I have read Ponting's book and there's nothing wrong with what he wrote of Clarke. It's just a shame that the media grabbed the two negative lines and ran with it.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Some observations:

- Warne is an attention-seeking child. It's his THING. Part of the reason the man in the pub can identify with him.

- Warne clearly doesn't like Ponting on a personal level. And was clearly angered that Ponting was captain of Australia after Waugh (who he also hated)

- but .... in a way he is right. I always thought Ponting was a poor captain. He just managed to hit his peak as a batsman at the right time. And what a peak it was! So in a way he led by personal example - but I felt he was both a poor communicator, and an even worse tactician. In short, the best batsman in a team of great players ... but yes, poor captain. No doubt.

- Clarke may have imagination, but he's still a total c ...

My two cents

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really wish benchmark00 had waited until after these comments were made to get himself banned

Spikey

Inspired by the critically acclaimed book 'On Warne', by Gideon Haigh, comes this year's most anticipated release, Shane Warne 'On Ponting'

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Alright that's it. The new rule is you are not allowed to post in any of my threads.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Isn't this just the latest in a long line of examples of Warne attempting to keep himself relevant by using the media to take a shot at someone? I remember when Gilchrist retired, Warne wrote a tribute to him in some newspaper, which was basically just a rant about how he thought John Buchanan was ****.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It hurts me so much that the very first post of you breaking my rule I have to "like". But I do.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I thought Ponting said wtte he had concerns about Clarke buying into the team ethos when he first started playing but by the time he took over the captaincy he was of the view Clarke was right as rain?

I really don't see what the problem is with that tbh, unless there's something else Ponting said which I haven't latched onto.
Yep, completely AWTA. Tbh, it wouldn't surprise me if Warne hadn't actually read what Ponting said, and just heard that he "had doubts about Clarke" as such.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I'm always slightly astounded that Warne can read tbh.

Warne's got an eye for the spotlight but he's done sweet FA to help Aussie cricket since retiring.

Burgey

He helped bring to national prominence renowned left arm spinner Michael Beer.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Warne's such a **** I'm dropping him from my ATG team now. That'll show him.

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
The thing that I get out of all this is basically the only man saying Clarke was awesome is his best mate in the team ''Warne''.
If you have players as good as and nothing but team players from the past like Ponting, Hussey, Hayden, Symonds and Katich all saying the same thing well there must be something wrong.

I mean look how good the Australian ODI team have come together and are actually playing some great cricket under Bailey.

Ive always been of the opinion that Clarke although a great batsmen he is **** at leading aswell as being a team player.

Riggins

International Captain
I think it's a bit of a generational thing for sure. The older guys don't seem to be down with Clarke's style of leadership, but everyone you talk to from that younger group of guys absolutely loves him. And he's a genius on field too.