• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Seam movement - Random or not?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'm pretty sure Ewen Chatfield said he just tried to get it to hit the seam on a good line and length, and what happened after than was beyond his (and hopefully the batsmen's) control.
Indeed I noted that in my post. He reckoned if he didn't know which way it was going then the batsman definitely couldn't know.

That comes from his autobiography by the way which I take it you have read?

Flametree

International 12th Man
Sorry, I just skimmed earlier posts. No, I haven't read his autobiography, might have heard a commentator quoting it.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember reading about Ambrose that he bowled with a seam position constantly fluctuating between the 5 0' clock and the 7 o'clock angle in the air, and the precise angle of it hitting the deck was unknown to him, though of course he bowled it right at the off-stump to make the batsman play at it. I guess McGrath has to be the one with the most control on the seam. Also, because Ambrose was faster than McGrath. Plus, I don't really what happens if the seam and the swing conflict each other. Anybody know?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm no magician but have bowled the occasional ball which swerved on way in the air and moved the other on pitching. I never full control over it (or was close, tbh) but found it was more likely when I wasn't going for big swing, just point the seam slightly in the direction you want to swing and let the deck do the rest. Was obviously much more likely on a cloudy day with something in the deck too.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, once or twice I reckon I got a slight away swinger to cut back in after pitching and hit off stump, made me look like genius.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Has there ever been a bowler who could bowl the Outswinger and get it to seam in and then also bowl the Inswinger and get that to seam out?

Maybe Wasim?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
The final trick in the bag is the top spinner bowled at pace while holding it across the seam. Invariably it hits the seam and pops and is the perfect bouncer.
It's not a bad idea to bowl with this seam position at a good length as it will at times cut either way. I've seen Razzaq use this trick successfully with the white ball.

Also, on the wobbly seam, Pakistan in SA 2007, Asif had one strategy. Bowl just out the off stump/at the off stump at either a good or fuller length and let the seam movement do the rest.

smash84

The Tiger King
what, that the ball swings in the air in one direction and moves off the seam in another in the same delivery? You are saying that it is somewhat in bowler's control? :blink:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
what, that the ball swings in the air in one direction and moves off the seam in another in the same delivery? You are saying that it is somewhat in bowler's control? :blink:
No, read my post. I'm saying it is much more likely to happen with certain bowlers vs others, i.e; it is random but still likely happens with a certain set of bowlers due to their actions.