• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in India 2013

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
But early in the spell is a good time to take wickets as well - before the batsman settles in, if he is just facing the same flat stuff for 4 overs you're letting him off the hook IMO
Ashwin isn't some part-timer trying to break a partnership by surprising the batsman. And he has enough tools to not be some cheap mystery spinner.

Even Shane "ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK" Warne agrees: Anil Kumble 12 for 279 (includes 8/141) vs Australia 2004 4th test SCG - YouTube (links to precisely when Warne talks about the need to defend before attacking)

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have no idea what Shri is talking about. Bowling flat early on doesn't help you when you decide to flight it later on imo..

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Have no idea what Shri is talking about. Bowling flat early on doesn't help you when you decide to flight it later on imo..
You don't keep bowling flat all the time. You gradually increase flight so as not to lose your **** completely at the start. Maybe its different for everyone but I was someone who never really fired the ball in as an offie so my coach didn't have anything to say about me bowling flat. So if I were a bowler who fired it in too much, his advice would have been different.

Last edited:

Daemon

I see Gavaskar hasn't learnt how to pronounce Ojha properly yet. Still keeps saying Ozha.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Shri is just a hopeless fan boy when it comes to Ashwin; about 90% of his posts these days are just strangely aggressive attempts to deflect criticism from the guy.

I don't see the need for the over-analysis anyway. Ashwin was accurate but unthreatening for his first couple of overs but after he settled in he varied his flight a bit better and got some encouraging drift. That's what happened, and we're talking about an almost insignificant sample anyway. He deserves neither harsh criticism nor deifying praise for any aspect of that spell; seems an odd thing for the forum to be so divided on.

Daemon

How come Manjrekar doesn't speak intelligent stuff like this when commentating on matches?

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Shri is just a hopeless fan boy when it comes to Ashwin; about 90% of his posts these days are just strangely aggressive attempts to deflect criticism from the guy.

I don't see the need for the over-analysis anyway. Ashwin was accurate but unthreatening for his first couple of overs but after he settled in he varied his flight a bit better and got some encouraging drift. That's what happened, and we're talking about an almost insignificant sample anyway. He deserves neither harsh criticism nor deifying praise for any aspect of that spell; seems an odd thing for the forum to be so divided on.
You're implicitly taking Shri's side. No one's saying Ashwin's awesome for bowling flat sliders for two and a half overs with a fairly new ball, just that it's understandable and not worthy of criticism. Some seemed to think he should have been attacking from ball one. That's the point of contention

Daemon

Why is Sahara still sponsoring? Thought they had a major fallout over payments with the BCCI?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
You're implicitly taking Shri's side. No one's saying Ashwin's awesome for bowling flat sliders for two and a half overs with a fairly new ball, just that it's understandable and not worthy of criticism. Some seemed to think he should have been attacking from ball one. That's the point of contention
Nah just that after an over or two at the most (given his first over was taken to) he should have settled in and really tried to use some flight and dip, after all he was bowling with the newish ball (which is good for spinners because you get a mixture of big turn/bounce and slide) rather than simply looking for drift and slid each ball without changing his trajectory. I honestly think throughout his spell this was lacking a bit.

PEWS is right, this has been blown way out of proportion, not a big difference in opinion but we have struggled to clarify at times, we may have to agree to disagree

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Nah just that after an over or two at the most (given his first over was taken to) he should have settled in and really tried to use some flight and dip, after all he was bowling with the newish ball (which is good for spinners because you get a mixture of big turn/bounce and slide) rather than simply looking for drift and slid each ball without changing his trajectory.
Except that's pretty much what he did imo and cricinfo's opinion. W/e

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Except that's pretty much what he did imo and cricinfo's opinion. W/e
Like that matters :p

Samuels would be a really handy wicket for India here, although I dunno if I could handle watching Bravo continue at this rate with Shiv at the other end

Shri

Mr. Glass
Like that matters :p

Samuels would be a really handy wicket for India here, although I dunno if I could handle watching Bravo continue at this rate with Shiv at the other end
Can't be worse than Misbah. And i sat through that.:p