Page 10 of 131 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree333Likes

Thread: ***Official*** West Indies in India 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    I'm watching the game man, I know what happened, and tbf it was maybe one ball per over he flighted, he bowled well later but he certainly should've attacked a little more early on IMO
    I am too. We're all susceptible to distorted observations though

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    I was always instructed by my coach to use the first few overs to get my accuracy, line and length in order before trying to turn the ball as a kid. This just looks normal to me.
    But early in the spell is a good time to take wickets as well - before the batsman settles in, if he is just facing the same flat stuff for 4 overs you're letting him off the hook IMO
    There are two colours in my head

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Haven't seen him bowl anything other than Leggies for years now
    Nah, he bowled offies v. Pakistan in the Asia Cup. He sometimes does leggies to righties and offies to lefties.

His dobblers were last bowled a while ago I think

But early in the spell is a good time to take wickets as well - before the batsman settles in, if he is just facing the same flat stuff for 4 overs you're letting him off the hook IMO
    Obviously it is different if you are bowling to a complete spin-bunny but if the batsman looks like he can play you competently, you don't try fancy **** immediately. Maybe if you are feeling adventurous on that day and don't mind the coach cussing you and your family from the boundary for doing stupid ****.

Depends on your mindset at that moment really.

Ashwin isn't some part-timer trying to break a partnership by surprising the batsman. And he has enough tools to not be some cheap mystery spinner.

Even Shane "ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK" Warne agrees: Anil Kumble 12 for 279 (includes 8/141) vs Australia 2004 4th test SCG - YouTube (links to precisely when Warne talks about the need to defend before attacking)
    Last edited by JontyPanesar; 05-11-2013 at 10:46 PM.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Have no idea what Shri is talking about. Bowling flat early on doesn't help you when you decide to flight it later on imo..
    Last edited by Daemon; 05-11-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Have no idea what Shri is talking about. Bowling flat early on doesn't help you when you decide to flight it later on imo..
    You don't keep bowling flat all the time. You gradually increase flight so as not to lose your **** completely at the start. Maybe its different for everyone but I was someone who never really fired the ball in as an offie so my coach didn't have anything to say about me bowling flat. So if I were a bowler who fired it in too much, his advice would have been different.
    Last edited by Shri; 05-11-2013 at 10:49 PM.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I see Gavaskar hasn't learnt how to pronounce Ojha properly yet. Still keeps saying Ozha.

I see Gavaskar hasn't learnt how to pronounce Ojha properly yet. Still keeps saying Ozha.
    Both pronunciations are ok #TheMoreYouKnow

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by JontyPanesar View Post
    Both pronunciations are ok #TheMoreYouKnow
    Haha my bad then. My Grandad used to do the opposite and pronounce his 'z's as 'j's.

This match point thing on cricinfo is pretty interesting actually.

Shri is just a hopeless fan boy when it comes to Ashwin; about 90% of his posts these days are just strangely aggressive attempts to deflect criticism from the guy.

I don't see the need for the over-analysis anyway. Ashwin was accurate but unthreatening for his first couple of overs but after he settled in he varied his flight a bit better and got some encouraging drift. That's what happened, and we're talking about an almost insignificant sample anyway. He deserves neither harsh criticism nor deifying praise for any aspect of that spell; seems an odd thing for the forum to be so divided on.
    Shri likes this.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    How come Manjrekar doesn't speak intelligent stuff like this when commentating on matches?

How come Manjrekar doesn't speak intelligent stuff like this when commentating on matches?
    Cuz he has too much of that huge bcci c**k in his mouth
    Shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Shri is just a hopeless fan boy when it comes to Ashwin; about 90% of his posts these days are just strangely aggressive attempts to deflect criticism from the guy.

I don't see the need for the over-analysis anyway. Ashwin was accurate but unthreatening for his first couple of overs but after he settled in he varied his flight a bit better and got some encouraging drift. That's what happened, and we're talking about an almost insignificant sample anyway. He deserves neither harsh criticism nor deifying praise for any aspect of that spell; seems an odd thing for the forum to be so divided on.
    You're implicitly taking Shri's side. No one's saying Ashwin's awesome for bowling flat sliders for two and a half overs with a fairly new ball, just that it's understandable and not worthy of criticism. Some seemed to think he should have been attacking from ball one. That's the point of contention

I turn my TV volume up whenever I hear that classic music

Page 10 of 131 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread Information