• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How quick was Harold Larwood?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Are there any more videos of him? I know there's one website where there are a lot of videos of that series, not sure which.
Very quick indeed and outside of the South African opening attack, comfortably better than any bowler in operation today.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Gave him some thought as well andthat one is fairly difficult to properly gauge. Anderson not that effective outside of England and no one ever puts Jimmy up for a spot in an England All Time XI while Larwood normally makes the team.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anderson not that effective outside of England
Seriously? Why is this misconception still going strong? Anderson was fantastic on his most recent series in Australia, India and UAE. He's proved he's not just a home track bully

Ftr, I still think Larwood was better

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Gave him some thought as well andthat one is fairly difficult to properly gauge. Anderson not that effective outside of England and no one ever puts Jimmy up for a spot in an England All Time XI while Larwood normally makes the team.
Do people still think this?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't say he was awful or wasn't effective overseas. I just believe that he is at his very best at home. But I forgot I am not entitled to my own opinion here.
At least Flem got in his shot for the week.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
In the last 2 years Anderson has averaged 26 in Asia, whereas at home he averaged 28. This does not reflect your claim.

And since when did Flem say anything about you not having an opinion?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He looks really quick in the footage I've seen.

There's a DVD called "The Cricket Archives" that has some footage of him. He looks as quick as anyone from the modern era

Binkley

U19 Captain
I seem to remember seeing a short TV clip years ago about how they did an early form of speed test on him. It was fairly complicated. From memory it involved a side-on camera and him bowling against a wall with markings on it. The testers estimated his fastest ball during the test was 98 mph. No references I am afraid, just a faulty memory. But perhaps you can find the clip on YouTube?

PS, Just checked and Wikipedia references the speed tests on their page for Larwood, but doesn't provide much detail.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I seem to remember seeing a short TV clip years ago about how they did an early form of speed test on him. It was fairly complicated. From memory it involved a side-on camera and him bowling against a wall with markings on it. The testers estimated his fastest ball during the test was 98 mph. No references I am afraid, just a faulty memory. But perhaps you can find the clip on YouTube?

PS, Just checked and Wikipedia references the speed tests on their page for Larwood, but doesn't provide much detail.
If that's right, it's ****ing quick!

Hard to imagine facing it without a helmet