• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What a year!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shoaib Akhtar has only played 4 tests (mainly due to suspension and injury) but he took 30 wickets at an average of 12.36 a strike rate of 28.9 and had 3 '5 for' and 2 '10 for'.

Surely it is time for this man to get his mind and body into gear and become a leader of Pakistan's bowling attack.

2003 Calendar Year Test Bowling - Most Wickets

Last edited:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
And he's bowling frighteningly quick as well... I think he has well and truly separated himself from Lee in terms of pace. Lee might be quick at times, but Shoaib is currently the only man in the world who can bowl every ball in an over above 150k's. Unfortunately he might not play much test cricket in 2004, as one of the scheduled series for Pakistan is against India, and there are some talks about those tours being abandoned. If that's the case, then Pakistan won't play test cricket again until October. Can't wait to see him tour Aus in late 2004 though.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Adamc said:
And he's bowling frighteningly quick as well... I think he has well and truly separated himself from Lee in terms of pace. Lee might be quick at times, but Shoaib is currently the only man in the world who can bowl every ball in an over above 150k's. Unfortunately he might not play much test cricket in 2004, as one of the scheduled series for Pakistan is against India, and there are some talks about those tours being abandoned. If that's the case, then Pakistan won't play test cricket again until October. Can't wait to see him tour Aus in late 2004 though.
Yes, I too cannot wait until he tours Australia. Last time he was here for thre ODIs he ripped through the Aussies in the 3rd game at the 'Gabba. The Aussies had no idea against his shear pace, even the great Ricky Ponting had him middle stump go for a walk, and he bowled Lehmann around his legs.

The best spell of bowling I have ever seen live.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
The Aussies had no idea against his shear pace
Amazing how many teams have that problem against him, yet apparently pace alone isn't enough to get wickets...

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Amazing how many teams have that problem against him, yet apparently pace alone isn't enough to get wickets...
It's not but it certainly does help.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
It's not.;)
No teams have had much trouble with him when he's just hared in and tried to hurl every delivery down at 160 ks.
He's far better when "only" aiming for 145-150, and concentrating on getting swing and seam and bowling line and length.
In fact, he's so much better that I doubt any batsman in The World would have a cat in hell's chance against him at the top of his game.
I really hope he plays for Durham again next season (has he been signed?), one to keep improving his First-Class and List-A records and two just to keep him playing cricket and not allow the lethargy that has so often crept into his times off to once again throw him off course.
Of the "good periods" so far in his career this one has lasted the longest.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
I really hope he plays for Durham again next season (has he been signed?), one to keep improving his First-Class and List-A records and two just to keep him playing cricket and not allow the lethargy that has so often crept into his times off to once again throw him off course.
You really should read the news;)

CW's Shoaib News - early December

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, I seemed to remember something along the lines.
Still, people are subject to change their minds. Especially The PCB.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
It's not.;)
No teams have had much trouble with him when he's just hared in and tried to hurl every delivery down at 160 ks.
He's far better when "only" aiming for 145-150, and concentrating on getting swing and seam and bowling line and length.
Funny how an Australian observer says the Australian's had no answer to his sheer pace then isn't it, or does the fact he watched the games not count for anything?

CDAK

U19 Debutant
There's no doubt he is the superstar of bowling department. I personally like to see 3 people bowling. Akthar, Warne,Murali. Akthar is a one-man army.He can destroy any team in no time.(lee can only dream it).It's not worth comparing him to Lee. Lee is not a match winning bowler .
The discipline is the only prblm...can't help, nothing is perfect in this world.
Like masterblaster, I wish if there wasn't that border( not Allan) between IND & Pak.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Funny how an Australian observer says the Australian's had no answer to his sheer pace then isn't it, or does the fact he watched the games not count for anything?
Yes, of course it does, but you know perfectly well that almost anyone will talk about pace before any other virtue. It's pace and accuracy, movement rarely gets a mention. That's the main fault of cricket journalism and punditry, the three values are placed with least important first and most important last.

Mister Wright

Richard said:
Yes, of course it does, but you know perfectly well that almost anyone will talk about pace before any other virtue. It's pace and accuracy, movement rarely gets a mention. That's the main fault of cricket journalism and punditry, the three values are placed with least important first and most important last.
It wasn't just pace that got the wickets, he bowled good line and length too. But if he had of been bowling that line and length at 130 or 135km/h the Aussie batsman would have been good enough to pick him off, so therefore IMO it was the pace that got the wickets.

MZ_RPFC

Cricket Spectator
You cant compare Lee and Akthar because one has a huge advantage by chucking the ball and thats what Akthar does unfortunately, In my opinion if you cant see that then your blind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
It wasn't just pace that got the wickets, he bowled good line and length too. But if he had of been bowling that line and length at 130 or 135km/h the Aussie batsman would have been good enough to pick him off, so therefore IMO it was the pace that got the wickets.
IMO it was the combination of the seam-and-swing, the line-and-length and then the pace.
Because had he bowled the pace without either of the others he would have been less effective than had he bowled the others without the pace.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
cbreban_MZ_RPFC said:
You cant compare Lee and Akthar because one has a huge advantage by chucking the ball and thats what Akthar does unfortunately, In my opinion if you cant see that then your blind.
Which one? :P

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mate, welcome to the forums, but you, unfortunately, are talking rubbish in my opinion (which some will say counts for nothing:P) Lee is the one that chucks, not Akhtar.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I was seeing highlights of this one day game from Pakistan's last tour of New Zealand. Akhtar was bowling off just 7-8 steps n throwing the ball for every one to see. It was blatant throws. Lee has been suspect too at times. Both have chucked at times but all their deliveries r not throws. They do chuck n theres no denying that.