Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What a year!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!

What a year!

Shoaib Akhtar has only played 4 tests (mainly due to suspension and injury) but he took 30 wickets at an average of 12.36 a strike rate of 28.9 and had 3 '5 for' and 2 '10 for'.

Surely it is time for this man to get his mind and body into gear and become a leader of Pakistan's bowling attack.

2003 Calendar Year Test Bowling - Most Wickets
    Last edited by Mister Wright; 30-12-2003 at 07:20 PM.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    How I wish Shoaib was Indian....
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Burger Time Champion!
    Originally posted by masterblaster
    How I wish Shoaib was Indian....
    Maybe he could become Indian bowling coach...

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    And he's bowling frighteningly quick as well... I think he has well and truly separated himself from Lee in terms of pace. Lee might be quick at times, but Shoaib is currently the only man in the world who can bowl every ball in an over above 150k's. Unfortunately he might not play much test cricket in 2004, as one of the scheduled series for Pakistan is against India, and there are some talks about those tours being abandoned. If that's the case, then Pakistan won't play test cricket again until October. Can't wait to see him tour Aus in late 2004 though.
    Last edited by Adamc; 30-12-2003 at 07:41 PM.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

Burger Time Champion!
    Originally posted by Adamc
    And he's bowling frighteningly quick as well... I think he has well and truly separated himself from Lee in terms of pace. Lee might be quick at times, but Shoaib is currently the only man in the world who can bowl every ball in an over above 150k's. Unfortunately he might not play much test cricket in 2004, as one of the scheduled series for Pakistan is against India, and there are some talks about those tours being abandoned. If that's the case, then Pakistan won't play test cricket again until October. Can't wait to see him tour Aus in late 2004 though.
    Yes, I too cannot wait until he tours Australia. Last time he was here for thre ODIs he ripped through the Aussies in the 3rd game at the 'Gabba. The Aussies had no idea against his shear pace, even the great Ricky Ponting had him middle stump go for a walk, and he bowled Lehmann around his legs.

The best spell of bowling I have ever seen live.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Mister Wright
    The Aussies had no idea against his shear pace
    Amazing how many teams have that problem against him, yet apparently pace alone isn't enough to get wickets...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Debutant
    Originally posted by marc71178
    Amazing how many teams have that problem against him, yet apparently pace alone isn't enough to get wickets...
    It's not but it certainly does help.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    It's not.
    No teams have had much trouble with him when he's just hared in and tried to hurl every delivery down at 160 ks.
    He's far better when "only" aiming for 145-150, and concentrating on getting swing and seam and bowling line and length.
    In fact, he's so much better that I doubt any batsman in The World would have a cat in hell's chance against him at the top of his game.
    I really hope he plays for Durham again next season (has he been signed?), one to keep improving his First-Class and List-A records and two just to keep him playing cricket and not allow the lethargy that has so often crept into his times off to once again throw him off course.
    Of the "good periods" so far in his career this one has lasted the longest.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Originally posted by Richard
    I really hope he plays for Durham again next season (has he been signed?), one to keep improving his First-Class and List-A records and two just to keep him playing cricket and not allow the lethargy that has so often crept into his times off to once again throw him off course.
    You really should read the news

CW's Shoaib News - early December
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Yes, I seemed to remember something along the lines.
    Still, people are subject to change their minds. Especially The PCB.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    It's not.
    No teams have had much trouble with him when he's just hared in and tried to hurl every delivery down at 160 ks.
    He's far better when "only" aiming for 145-150, and concentrating on getting swing and seam and bowling line and length.
    Funny how an Australian observer says the Australian's had no answer to his sheer pace then isn't it, or does the fact he watched the games not count for anything?

There's no doubt he is the superstar of bowling department. I personally like to see 3 people bowling. Akthar, Warne,Murali. Akthar is a one-man army.He can destroy any team in no time.(lee can only dream it).It's not worth comparing him to Lee. Lee is not a match winning bowler .
    The discipline is the only prblm...can't help, nothing is perfect in this world.
    Like masterblaster, I wish if there wasn't that border( not Allan) between IND & Pak.
    the real cricket-fan

Funny how an Australian observer says the Australian's had no answer to his sheer pace then isn't it, or does the fact he watched the games not count for anything?
    Yes, of course it does, but you know perfectly well that almost anyone will talk about pace before any other virtue. It's pace and accuracy, movement rarely gets a mention. That's the main fault of cricket journalism and punditry, the three values are placed with least important first and most important last.

Burger Time Champion!
    Yes, of course it does, but you know perfectly well that almost anyone will talk about pace before any other virtue. It's pace and accuracy, movement rarely gets a mention. That's the main fault of cricket journalism and punditry, the three values are placed with least important first and most important last.
    It wasn't just pace that got the wickets, he bowled good line and length too. But if he had of been bowling that line and length at 130 or 135km/h the Aussie batsman would have been good enough to pick him off, so therefore IMO it was the pace that got the wickets.

You cant compare Lee and Akthar because one has a huge advantage by chucking the ball and thats what Akthar does unfortunately, In my opinion if you cant see that then your blind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information