Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Sir Don Bradman vs Sir Gary Sobers

International Debutant
    Oh ffs sake. Cricket was professional in Bradman's era and for a long time before hand. Cricket was developed by the interwar years. Tests began some 50 years earlier. Cricket itself atleast 100. Frankly you morons should just go back to ICF where Sunny was the best of all time until Sachin came along and where 55 is greater than 99.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Big Baby having his usual crying session.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Oh ffs sake. Cricket was professional in Bradman's era and for a long time before hand. Cricket was developed by the interwar years. Tests began some 50 years earlier. Cricket itself atleast 100. Frankly you morons should just go back to ICF where Sunny was the best of all time until Sachin came along and where 55 is greater than 99.
    Firstly, you need to learn to have some manners. You are rude.

Secondly, I never said it was an unprofessional time. Basically, cricket has now reached the peak of professionalism, whereas in that era it was probably in the early stages of professionalism, so cricket still has come a long way since then.

Thirdly, we won't ever get another Bradman again because the professionalism & competition won't allow it.
    kyear2 likes this.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    Firstly, you need to learn to have some manners. You are rude.

Secondly, I never said it was an unprofessional time. Basically, cricket has now reached the peak of professionalism, whereas in that era it was probably in the early stages of professionalism, so cricket still has come a long way since then.

Thirdly, we won't ever get another Bradman again because the professionalism & competition won't allow it.
    I wasn't addressing you. My manners are as good as anyones and I at least know only to respond when spoken to. Since you have spoken I'll reply that cricket wasn't in its early stages of professionalism. It can't be stated with any certainty this era is the peak of the game's professionalism. Professionalism doesn't negate the emergence of the freak performer as Phelps and Jordon prove. You have not shown how competitiveness improves with the passing of time. The topic is only raised to place a subjective handicap on Bradman's record. Whereas you can gain a measure of the competition Bradman faced by isolating him and looking at the averages of his team mates. Then you get an idea of the standard he went on to dominate.

There must be some correlation between competitiveness and a nations development over time. Take China for example, with the economy doing better they have been able to invest in sport which showed in the Olympics.

International Debutant
    Yes. A nation can improve over time. The example of China is a gold standard. Though I think competitiveness isn't necessarily related to professionalism. Look at our cricket. All the modern benefits of professionalism are available to CA yet our competitiveness has taken a big dive over the last - well since 2009 for sure. Standards improve over time (though I don't think that means a modern player is naturally better than those who preceded them). It seems to me competitiveness fluctuates. I'm guessing 2 reasons for that could be the competence of the the sport's governing administration and the talent of the players available. Right now I don't think Aus, WI or Pak are as competitive as they once were. Eng are better now than at some points in their history but not all. India are as good as they've generally been. SL, not as good as when they had Murali Jaya, Arjuna etc. NZ are improving but I'd still back their team from the 80s as superior. SA, on a high now have been pretty consistent throughout their history.

I think the curious thing about all this is that Bradman and Sobers held each other in the absolute highest possible regard, and would no doubt consider a discussion where either one of them had their achievements questioned or denigrated in order to elevate the other (which is what always tends to happen with these kind of things) to be both pointless and amusing.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Well said.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I think the curious thing about all this is that Bradman and Sobers held each other in the absolute highest possible regard, and would no doubt consider a discussion where either one of them had their achievements questioned or denigrated in order to elevate the other (which is what always tends to happen with these kind of things) to be both pointless and amusing.
    They probably wouldn't be sitting on an online cricket forum and debating away in the first place
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Sobers certainly wouldn't - now there's a man who knows how to enjoy himself!

At times, a bit too much.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    At times, a bit too much.
    Thats why he doesn't invite you.
    Agent Nationaux likes this.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

Kyear wouldn't go to a party even if Sobers invited him because he would be too busy looking up his stats. He is more in love with the idea of his stats than the man himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Thats why he doesn't invite you.
    Unfortunately he is one of the Barbadian Test cricketers I have never met.

Really hope to meet and have a conversation with the great man before it's too late.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information