• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2013/14

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Right it would be nice if something decent happened in this match to reward my late night vigils. Please can just one of you make a nice attractive hundred? That's all I ask/expect.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That's your response? You questioned the existence of West Indies cricket. I refuted it and that's all you got? Seriously? I give up. Back to the cricket....
Wouldn't be too concerned with Burgey's assertions here - he's prodding to see what reaction he gets. No-one thinks West Indies deserve to be playing test cricket any less than NZ or SL at present - three teams fairly competitive at home but often terrible abroad. Though I forecast NZ are on the up*, SL are on the way down and I'm not sure about the West Indies.

* optimism YERRRR

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Good nut. Poor Edwards, having to open because his board couldn't get their dude over. Isn't he a number three normally?
He's opened a fair bit in the West Indies setup, usually in one day cricket though. He's seen as a top order batsman but #3 is his regular spot, yeah. Don't know about "poor Edwards" as such though; he wouldn't have played at all if Brathwaite had arrived in time.

Flem274*

123/5
He's opened a fair bit in the West Indies setup, usually in one day cricket though. He's seen as a top order batsman but #3 is his regular spot, yeah. Don't know about "poor Edwards" as such though; he wouldn't have played at all if Brathwaite had arrived in time.
Would have picked him ahead of Deonarine obvz

Beamer

Anyway, the question of whether the NZers would find swing has been categorically answered.
I always thought Southee would swing the new ball. Nothing much has changed tbh, we just have to try and survive the new ball and then make hay.

Looking a bit tricky though I must say. This is what happens when you pitch the ball up and make the batsman play with the new ball.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Darren Bravo doesn't really cop much stick tbh. Dwayne does, but he's not playing.
I swear every Windies series if Bravo fails someone goes "If Bravo wants to succeed at x he needs to do y and z or he will waste his talent" etc etc. Maybe my memory is foggy.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Right it would be nice if something decent happened in this match to reward my late night vigils. Please can just one of you make a nice attractive hundred? That's all I ask/expect.
I made 96 a few weeks ago, was a decent knock. I know it's not a ton, but maybe if I talk you through it it'll be worth staying up so late.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I swear every Windies series if Bravo fails someone goes "If Bravo wants to succeed at x he needs to do y and z or he will waste his talent" etc etc. Maybe my memory is foggy.
He's one of those players who might be prone to over-criticism because he looks a bit better than he actually is, but I honestly haven't really noticed it much here. People have pointed out his flaws at times but that doesn't mean he's copping undo stick. We were discussing Taylor's flaws before this match and he has an even better record.

Beamer

He's one of those players who might be prone to over-criticism because he looks a bit better than he actually is, but I honestly haven't really noticed it much here. People have pointed out his flaws at times but that doesn't mean he's copping undo stick. We were discussing Taylor's flaws before this match and he has an even better record.
He has a habit of making glorious 30 -60 run innings before getting out softly. This is an incredibly frustrating habit of his. Also, it has been a few tests since he was at his best, he was averaging 50 odd just 4/5 tests ago.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
haha i swear we try and get the ball changed every 5 overs
I'm not sure if a change in rules to have a proper new ball every five overs would make New Zealand better or worse. The new ball period is by far the part of New Zealand's bowling attack right now but opening batting skills have never really been your thing.

Immenso

Trying to work out who is at 3rd and 4th slip.

Saw Southee fielding at 3rd when Boult bowling, don't know who is 4th, or who is 3rd when Southee bowls?

Edit: Anderson is in there somewhere

Last edited: