• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2013/14

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really thought they'd actually sack him this time. If he's selected to bat above eight in a Test again I'll change my avatar to Anton Devcich for the duration of the tour in protest.

Flem274*

123/5
Who else just started really hoping Sammy has a long career at number seven?

Anyway, surely Sammy will just be one of three pacers this time? You don't need two spinners in unzud. Two spinners are only ever used to bowl millions of overs on motorways like Napier. The **** will bowl first change and score a ton at number eight.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anyway, surely Sammy will just be one of three pacers this time? You don't need two spinners in unzud. Two spinners are only ever used to bowl millions of overs on motorways like Napier.
The selectors don't really see him as a bowler anymore though I don't think. So if Sammy bats eight they'll probably think they're only picking two seamers - which you wouldn't do in NZ. Napier being the road it is (if there's a Test there) may see three quicks + Shillingford + Sammy, if that makes sense.

And yeah I will Devcich up if that happens.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm interesting that Shillingford got picked, though I suppose they can sub him out if he fails his test.

After the batting disasters in India, I struggle to see WI going into this series without a proper batsman at number 6, so I'm betting on Sammy and two other seamers, with the WI selectors using the (false) justification that NZ pitches will suit his style of bowling.

But yes, he will obviously take 7/43 against us in the first test.

The three tests are Dunedin, Wellington and Hamilton I believe.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There's simply noone to replace Sammy. Do they really want to ask Dinesh "talk nah Viv" Ramdin to captain again? I suppose there's Gayle or Shiv but I don't see it happening. Samuels?

Also, are their replacement bowlers that much better that they can justify dropping him? Obviously when Roach comes back he's their spearhead, but I think Roach/Best/Shillingford/Sammy/Deonarine is actually their best attack, as poor as Sammy is. And if Shillingford fails his test...well

SeamUp

International Coach
hasn't he been their best pace bowler recently?

Cotterell looked awful anyway.
I thought Cottrell had a little bit of something to work with. Left-arm and could bowl into the 140s. Reckon they need to work on his intensity and he could trouble a few batsmen. More a replacement for Roach and Rampaul as the opening bowler. Gabriel was rank and should never be looked at again, probably need to start looking into this Miguel Cummins.

But my pick though would be Jason Holder to be first change and use his height and back-of-a-length ala Morkel. But they need to Rampaul and Roach to stay on the park.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Do they have enough fast / seam bowlers in the squad for an NZ tour?

Best, Gabriel, Cotterell, Sammy.

Probably enough considering Sammy guaranteed 3rd seamer.

Although plenty didn't rate Cotterell in the India tour thread, but when I saw him get one to nip back into Dhawan and smack him in the midriff, I thought be could cause Rutherford some (physical) problems.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
The three tests are Dunedin, Wellington and Hamilton I believe.
:thumbsup:

Dunedin has a nice ground but the weather is often an issue (like many grounds in NZ). They should hire the company that made the rugby stadium to put a clear ETFE roof over the ground. I'm sure the Dunedin rate payers will be happy to foot the bill (s******).

EDIT: I guess you can't say snig-ger.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Cottrell had a little bit of something to work with. Left-arm and could bowl into the 140s. Reckon they need to work on his intensity and he could trouble a few batsmen. More a replacement for Roach and Rampaul as the opening bowler. Gabriel was rank and should never be looked at again, probably need to start looking into this Miguel Cummins.

But my pick though would be Jason Holder to be first change and use his height and back-of-a-length ala Morkel. But they need to Rampaul and Roach to stay on the park.
Oooh, I forgot about Rampaul (who I really like).

The best attack would probably be
Roach
Rampaul
Best
Shillingford
Deonarine

but if Roach and Rampaul aren't fit, or if Shillingford fails his test they're screwed. I suppose Sammy still has to play really.

On the Jason Holder bowling back of a length - I'd not want him doing that. It's only kinda worked for Morkel and he's more dangerous bowling a good length. We've seen numerous examples of bowlers trying to be that back-of-a-length third seamer in recent times and it's just fail so often. Siddle, Broad, Bracewell etc.

Flem274*

123/5
Roach, Rampaul, Best, Shillingford is the Windies best possible attack imo. Sammy for a while there was a lot better than he's ever been given credit for but lately he's fallen behind those guys imo, partially due to the lack of faith shown in him by the selectors.

edit: On modern New Zealand pitches you need to bowl full and you need to look for swing. The pace of the pitch varies between grounds and summers but the last green top was probably the one where Sanga tonned up in the mid 00s. Ever since then our pitches haven't shown much deviation apart from when a select few bowlers bowl - Gillespie got the ball to jag around against SA a bit - but conventional and reverse swing along with the McGrath corridor is your best bet, and dropping short is suicide on the slower pitches.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting: Vettori-spins-back-into-test-reckoning

Vettori is available for New Zealand in all three cricketing formats and earlier this month earmarked the India series in January-February as his likely comeback. But his speedy recovery and impressive form for Northern Districts piqued the interest of the national selectors, one of whom, Bruce Edgar, will be watching with interest today.
Brownlie looks almost guaranteed to bat 3, which I like though it would help a lot if he would score some runs for Canterbury first.

"I feel like the higher I go the better I play. Hopefully, I get the opportunity to bat at No 3. Time will tell."
With Kaneh around he's not going to have a future at 3 obv. Precursor to that step up to opener?

Beamer

They retained THAT squad? Seriously?

Well New Zealand are now favourites IMHO. Our selectors are an absolute disgrace. It is hard to watch knowing that this is nowhere near the best team we could put out on the park, even given the pace bowling injury crisis. They are still obsessed with pace and so Best, Gabriel and Cotterell are being picked above Holder and Cummins who are both far superior bowlers who have taken wickets by the bucketload in FC cricket and on A team tours. The difference is Holder and Cummins move the ball, even in dry conditions.Those selected bowl 140-148kph but hardly move the ball at all. Hence they go for lots of runs.

Our pace bowling attack offers no control whatsoever so the NZ run-rate will be above 4 runs per over when the spinners come on. I won't even bother talking about Sammy who, having served his purpose, has now become an absolute embarrassment.

The batting better find form pronto or this is going to be another awful series. This one would be particularly galling as I honestly feel it is one we should win with the talent at our disposal.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
This one would be particularly galling as I honestly feel it is one we should win with the talent at our disposal.
Well, maybe...but it's worth remembering that in the last 6 home matches against South Africa and England, New Zealand only lost once.

Beamer

Well, maybe...but it's worth remembering that in the last 6 home matches against South Africa and England, New Zealand only lost once.
Granted. Before the last 2 tests things were going rather swimmingly for us and our last tour to India before this we were extremely competitive. Cricket is a funny old game. I just think if you put the two teams up against each other we should have the better lineup given the talent we have.

But given the side we have selected, Sammy's continued presence and the injuries to Roach and Rampaul I fancy New Zealand to take the series. If/when they do I hope it forces the WICB to look at themselves and change the selectors who are doing a terrible job. Above all else, Sammy must go!

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
we were comprehensively thrashed by SA. The rain and a flukey Kane century got us out of it.

But yeah, I agree, NZ at home should beat WI regardless of whom they select. The batting is relatively equal in that it's Taylor vs Samuels, but NZ's seamers should be much better in home conditions and have been far better since the last time these two teams played each other.

Southee, Boult, Wagner, Vettori, Anderson is a very good attack.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The W.I deserves to loose this series 3-0. This is a ****ing embarrassment that we would field this same team and keep Sammy as captain. The selectors either don't care or have an agenda. Kraigg Brathwaite, Miguel Cummins and Ravi Rampaul needs to be selected for the tour. This is so pathetic it's staggering in it's incompetence. We were not just beaten in India,we were destroyed and then you pick the exact same team. What the hell. Kirk Edwards needs to bag at three, Bravo has lost his confidence and looks lost out there, Gayle no longer cares and Powell needs to work on his technique. Best, Cottrell and Gabriel has no right in any test team and if Shillingford has to miss out for any reason, it' s another white wash over 9 days of test cricket.

Sad, so damn sad.