• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2013/14

Flem274*

123/5
And as far as reserve openers go, only Redmond and Raval come to mind as options with runs behind them, so if Rutherford or Fulton get injured or fade away and Redmond continues to push his case then he belongs in the conversation.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
awta

Just view this as the Aaron Redmond tribute match; a reward for many years of domestic service to Otago :happy:
Back in my day when someone got a tribute match, or was selected as a one-off replacement based on weight of runs, or whatever you want to call this.. they averaged more than 35 in First Class cricket. :p

Just seems a bit cheap to me, and all the feel-good comments about a supposed domestic "champ" being given a game is something I can usually get right behind, but Redmond is.. Redmond. He'd had his moments and purple patches but he's not been a special player at domestic level across his career. The commentators are annoying me about it more than anything else really. He ain't no Sinclair, Fulton or even Cumming or Papps.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ooh, Cricinfo commentator's busting out some colourful descriptions of Redmond's shots - 'delectable flick', 'crunching cover drive'. Seems to be a fan.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
This is possibly the worst W.I bowling attack ever fielded in a test match, especially considering the cloud over Shillingford's action.

Two words. Miguel Cummins.

With a bit of luck and common sense we could be fielding an attack of
Roach
Rampaul
Cummins
Shillingford

The batting lineup is about as good as we can muster at this time, and yes Jonathan Carter is exceptionally talented, but needs to prove he can score hundreds far less big hundreds.

Flem274*

123/5
Back in my day when someone got a tribute match, or was selected as a one-off replacement based on weight of runs, or whatever you want to call this.. they averaged more than 35 in First Class cricket. :p

Just seems a bit cheap to me, and all the feel-good comments about a supposed domestic "champ" being given a game is something I can usually get right behind, but Redmond is.. Redmond. He'd had his moments and purple patches but he's not been a special player at domestic level across his career. The commentators are annoying me about it more than anything else really. He ain't no Sinclair, Fulton or even Cumming or Papps.
The same Papps and Cumming who averaged mid 30s themselves?

You're indulging in a bit of revisionism here. Cumming only began to dominate the Shield when he was the same age as Redmond is now, and while Papps has had his big seasons, he's followed them up with his faire share of mediocrity, and unlike Redmond has no back foot to speak of.

edit: you're also being very disingenuous to Redmond's development as a player. He began his career with Canterbury as a leg spinner who batted a bit, and worked his way up the order until he was batting at three and then opening for Otago. Papps and Cumming were mediocre to good before (in Cumming's case) hitting their straps at the end of their careers. Redmond has shown gradual improvement over time.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Some of this goodwill towards him might be to do with the fact that he was kind of harshly dropped last time. He scored a terrific 83 against Australia, clearly the best innings of his test career, in his last game before being thrown out into the wilderness for five years. So it's nice that another opportunity has finally come his way.

And you can combine that too with the legend of his one-cap centurion father.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Heh, well I can't really disagree with any of that. Distinct lack of fake mustaches for a tribute match though.

You're indulging in a bit of revisionism here. Cumming only began to dominate the Shield when he was the same age as Redmond is now, and while Papps has had his big seasons, he's followed them up with his faire share of mediocrity, and unlike Redmond has no back foot to speak of.
To be fair to PEWs' comparison, Redmond has just 6000 FC runs. By comparison Fulton has 8000 at 41, Papps and Cumming have 9000 and Sinclair has 13000.

Flem274*

123/5
Aaron Redmond has played 57 matches for Otago and averages 43 with 10 hundreds, despite averaging 14 with the captaincy for them.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Aaron Redmond has played 57 matches for Otago and averages 43 with 10 hundreds, despite averaging 14 with the captaincy for them.
Yeah Redmond has a had a distinctly different career since he moved to Otago. Even with that rubbish season a couple of years back he does have a lot of runs over a number of years. Definitely the best selection in this case.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cumming and Papps weren't Sinclair and Fulton either, but they were (or are in Papps's case) better than Redmond. Not only do they average a few points higher but they reached the sorts of heights you'd expect from a dominant domestic player in individual seasons that Redmond has never really done; Papps had a season averaging 91 and Cumming put two consecutive seasons together averaging over 60. Redmond has not done this sort of thing; his highs simply haven't been as high or prolonged.

You're right about Cumming, but if Cumming was picked before he'd done that then I would've said similar really. Redmond has a chance to "do a Cumming" and go down as more than just a pretty good domestic player if he really piles on the runs in the next few seasons but until he actually does that, forgive me for not getting dem feels over a pretty typical domestic player in a purple patch getting a Test. It may well be true that it's the best option (I don't even really agree with that much) but I think it's a bit far to go on about how deserved he is and how he's earned it based on weight of runs. He's earned on based on weight of short-term form.

_Ed_

Fulton becalmed at present - 1 run from his last 37 deliveries.
He does seem to have an issue with singles and twos. 24 of his runs today have been boundaries. He doesn't seem to be able to keep the score ticking over when the boundaries aren't flowing.

_Ed_

Cumming and Papps weren't Sinclair and Fulton either, but they were (or are in Papps's case) better than Redmond. Not only do they average a few points higher but they reached the sorts of heights you'd expect from a dominant domestic player in individual seasons that Redmond has never really done; Papps had a season averaging 91 and Cumming put two consecutive seasons together averaging over 60. Redmond has not done this sort of thing; his highs simply haven't been as high or prolonged.

You're right about Cumming, but if Cumming was picked before he'd done that then I would've said similar really. Redmond has a chance to "do a Cumming" and go down as more than just a pretty good domestic player if he really piles on the runs in the next few seasons but until he actually does that, forgive me for not getting dem feels over a pretty typical domestic player in a purple patch getting a Test. It may well be true that it's the best option (I don't even really agree with that much) but I think it's a bit far to go on about how deserved he is and how he's earned it based on weight of runs. He's earned on based on weight of short-term form.
The point about Redmond going to another level since shifting to Otago is a pretty good one, though.
The Home of CricketArchive

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Now ffs Taylor, hasn't cashed in when batting conditions are easy in recent times and we could really use a breezy hundred here.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Redmond has a had a distinctly different career since he moved to Otago. Even with that rubbish season a couple of years back he does have a lot of runs over a number of years. Definitely the best selection in this case.
It should also be remembered that he played a bit for Canterbury as a leggie who could bat, before turning himself into a top-order batsman - a reverse Todd Astle ( or like a leg spinning Richardson). As a result the batting av is a bit low