• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2013/14

Mike5181

International Captain
I'd probably have Henry, Milne or Wheeler in there as the reserve bowler ahead of Bracewell. He just doesn't deserve to be there. Possibly Butler if he was fit too.

Although I don't really rate Redmond as a player, I'm happy to see him there. The desire to play for his country is obviously still there at 34 years of age, and Brownlie simply wasn't performing.

Understatement of the century here, but McCullum really needs to score some runs in this series. Ryder's legitimately on his way back this time, and we all know how much he loves playing India. At the moment Anderson's the only guy you could possibly justify dropping before him, so if he scores runs in this series and McCullum doesn't it'd be nonsensical to have Ryder missing from the starting XI. They could get away with it when Brownlie was the reserve batsman, because the argument that he was simply a better player was there, and that probably was fair. But it's a bit of a stretch to say the same when comparing him to Ryder.

The only other alternative is if one of Rutherford/Fulton fails miserably, and they move McCullum back up the order. That's unlikely, but possibly a situation he might not be able to avoid if he continues failing with the bat, and Anderson doesn't falter.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Brownlie's really fallen away, hasn't he? Selection wise. Not getting huge scores in his domestic runs this season counting against him, and now mcCullum is batting #3 in the tour match. Tbh trying to make himself a #3 to potentially fill in for Williamson has helped him at all. It's not a position he'd be in long term once Williamson was fit so sticking to the lower order should've been his best bet. All inretrospect though.

Baz batting 3 is most likely to give him time in the middle but I thought briefly they might've been entertaining him at 3 and bringing Brownlie in down the order...

Flem274*

123/5
Anderson will get dropped when Sodhi gets the flick for Vettori. I don't think Anderson is ready yet, and batting on slow low pitches in Bangladesh hid his lazy drive weakness outside off stump, so I'm not confident he will score runs in this series.

I hope he does though, because he's a quality young player (and I'd like to see McHesson squirm).

Richardson backed Ryder to open in tests the Herald the other day. It wasn't even the subject of the article (injuries were), he just listed a full strength side and had Ryder opening with no comment on it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Richardson backed Ryder to open in tests the Herald the other day. It wasn't even the subject of the article (injuries were), he just listed a full strength side and had Ryder opening with no comment on it.
Heh, I remember that. God he's a crap sports journalist.

Flem274*

123/5
ok so it's nice to make a game of it but why would you declare without at least a 200 run lead? The Windies still have all day...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Amazed that Williamson's recovered from his broken thumb quickly enough to be considered for the first test.

It was also odd reading through the last several posts and thinking 'yeah I agree with that' to everything, even though some comments seem in opposition to each other. There's a fair bit of uncertainty in pecking orders right now because borderline squad members are not performing very well (Brownlie, Bracewell), and the outside-squad first in line replacements (Milne, Henry, Latham) are also not presenting themselves for selection, or are injured/unavailable.

It's a shame for Brownlie but given his form he can have no real complaints that he's been overtaken by Redmond. Hopefully Williamson will play though - I only want to see another 34+ year old domestic stalwart play for NZ if it's replacing Fulton whenever he lose form or retires.

Milne probably bowled himself out of Bracewell's squad spot in the last PS match, but unfortunately that inconsistency is probably representative of his current ability. While Henry hasn't done enough either and didn't have a great NZ A tour.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Weird declaration. lol'd that Baz came in at 3 and yet could only muster 10 runs and decalred not long after :laugh:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Milne probably bowled himself out of Bracewell's squad spot in the last PS match, but unfortunately that inconsistency is probably representative of his current ability. While Henry hasn't done enough either and didn't have a great NZ A tour.
Yeah, Flem's right that Henry has an outstanding FC record, but this is his first go at FC cricket in nearly 2 years, following a serious back injury. He needs to show that he's at a similar (or higher) level to where he was in his first go at domestic cricket. And while he had an excellent List A season last year, his mediocre returns on the A tour, alongside significant competition for the 3 seamer spots, will probably mean he's also got a lot to do before being considered for the ODI side.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Craig gets Chanders. GET 'IM IN DA TEAM!!!!

Looks like the reason for the small target is that WI have given their ring-ins the afternoon off and are attempting to chase 160 with just 6 batsmen.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Redmond :laugh:

Hopefully this means he actually misses a couple of domestic games though so Papps scores more runs than him and Bahnz has to give me $10.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Dunedin Or Bust For Brendon McCullum | Stuff.co.nz

It all began for Brendon McCullum in Dunedin, and his home city could now become the scene of one of the toughest decisions of his career.

McCullum was yesterday named captain of New Zealand to face West Indies in Tuesday's first test, but doubts remain about his fitness as he battles a crippling back problem.

One source close to McCullum described his back injury as "very serious" and said the skipper remained worried about his playing future. Retirement from international cricket appears a serious option if there's any relapse.

"Next week he'll give it a go, but if it comes to a screeching halt again I think he will be making a big decision," the source said.

McCullum revealed the extent of his struggles in recent days, saying he was sick of playing cricket on heavy painkillers and didn't want to "completely break my body" by continuing. He has two protruding discs in his back and was also diagnosed with arthritis, which saw him return home early from the Bangladesh tour after aggravating the injury.

McCullum was understood to be considering retirement on his return, and was hurt by the public barbs thrown his way about returning home early. But after taking time out he was motivated to give it another crack in his 80th test at University Oval.
CricHQ | Albion Cricket Club (DN), Albion Senior

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'd go

Fulton
Rutherford
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum
Anderson
Watling (+)
Bracewell