• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Latest PWC World Rankings (Test and ODI)

masterblaster

International Captain
Test Batsmen

1 Ricky Ponting AUS

2 Brian Lara WI

3 Matthew Hayden AUS

4 Rahul Dravid IND

5 Inzamam-ul-Haq PAK

6 Jacques Kallis SA

7 Herschelle Gibbs SA

8 Mark Richardson NZ

9 Gary Kirsten SA

10 Mahela Jayawardene SL

ODI Batsmen

1 Sachin Tendulkar IND

2 Chris Gayle WI

3 Michael Bevan AUS

4 Ricky Ponting AUS

5 Adam Gilchrist AUS

6 Yousuf Youhana PAK

7 Brian Lara WI

8 Jacques Kallis SA

9 Sanath Jayasuriya SL

10 Damien Martyn AUS

Test Bowlers

1 Muttiah Muralitharan SL

2 Shaun Pollock SA

3 Shoaib Akhtar PAK

4 Glenn McGrath AUS

5 Jason Gillespie AUS

6 Makhaya Ntini SA

7 Daryl Tuffey NZ

8 Anil Kumble IND

9 Harbhajan Singh IND

10 Jacques Kallis SA

ODI Bowlers

1 Muttiah Muralitharan SL

2 Shaun Pollock SA

3 Glenn McGrath AUS

4 Chaminda Vaas SL

5 Makhaya Ntini SA

6 Brett Lee AUS

7 Jason Gillespie AUS

8 Andrew Flintoff ENG

9 Zaheer Khan IND

10 Harbhajan Singh IND

PY

International Coach
No England players in top 10 batters yet 3 Englishmen in top 10 runs scorers of 2003. Interesting.

Can't really disagree with them though, has IMO the right order of Top 3 in Test (Batting).

NikhilN

International Regular
expected sachin to be on # 1 for odi...expected him not to even make the top 10 test list

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
sachintendulkar said:
expected sachin to be on # 1 for odi...expected him not to even make the top 10 test list
The odi batting ratings are a non-contest, clearly the only person viable for the spot is sachin. Chris Gayle has had a very good year allround as well, although it is slightly worrying that he is the highest rated of the West Indian bowlers in odi's...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
jamesryfler said:
surprised to see Tuffey in the top ten.
I'm not actually - I think he's one of these bowlers that quietly go avout their jobs and can always be depended on for 2 or 3 wickets. As such they are vastly under-rated, but every team looks better with one in there when they don't have the devasting strike bowler - a bit like a Gus Fraser for example?

Bazza

International 12th Man
PY - England played 13 tests this year. Compared to Rahul Dravid who played 5. But still scored nearly as many runs as many! I was quite impressed though to see everyone in out top 6 averaging 40+ for 2003.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Indeed. I do feel though that if we had a group of bowlers stay fit we would be very competitive (ie Hoggard, Flintoff, Jones, Anderson, Harmison (maybe), Johnson, etc).

masterblaster

International Captain
Latest Rankings!

Test Batsmen

1 Brian Lara 912
2 Ricky Ponting 891
3 Rahul Dravid 884
4 Matthew Hayden 881
5 Inzamam-ul-Haq 811
6 Jacques Kallis 808
7 Sachin Tendulkar 783
8 Herschelle Gibbs 781
9 Mark Richardson 775
10 VVS Laxman 756

Test Bowlers

1 M. Muralitharan 908
2 Shoaib Akhtar 861
3 Shaun Pollock 860
4 Glenn McGrath 798
5 Jason Gillespie 751
6 Anil Kumble 748
7 Makhaya Ntini 728
8 Daryl Tuffey 721
9 Harbhajan Singh 655
10 Chaminda Vaas 629

Not much surprise to see Sachin Tendulkar back in the top 10 (where he rightly belongs in my opinion), fantastic to see VVS Laxman get his recognition after many frustratingly inconsistent years at the top.

Im surprised to see Shoaib Akhtar take out the number 2 spot!! Ive always liked Shoaib and its good to see him up there. The fighter from Bangalore, Anil Kumble continues to climb up that list.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Woohoo, Lara's back! :P Not surprised to see Shoaib there, after his demolition of NZ.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
I'm not actually - I think he's one of these bowlers that quietly go avout their jobs and can always be depended on for 2 or 3 wickets. As such they are vastly under-rated, but every team looks better with one in there when they don't have the devasting strike bowler - a bit like a Gus Fraser for example?
Very under rated cricketers these...

Read also..
Shaun Pollock
Merv Dillon
Vasbert Drakes
Glenn McGrath
Heath Streak
Chaminda Vaas

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
McGrath's missed four tests, so that means ~8% off his rating, and he wasn't at his best in the WI, IIRC, and I don't think 860 is under-rating someone WRT Pollock!!

Bazza

International 12th Man
masterblaster said:
Not much surprise to see Sachin Tendulkar back in the top 10 (where he rightly belongs in my opinion), fantastic to see VVS Laxman get his recognition after many frustratingly inconsistent years at the top.

Im surprised to see Shoaib Akhtar take out the number 2 spot!! Ive always liked Shoaib and its good to see him up there. The fighter from Bangalore, Anil Kumble continues to climb up that list.
Well Tendulkar didn't deserve to be in the top 10 at the end of 2003, but 300 unbeaten runs against Australia will do that for ya! ;) Laxman needs to score some runs against other teams before he can get more credit. Well maybe not, the return series is less than a year away! 8D

There is a lack of quality bowling around at the moment - Murali, Pollock and McGrath (who hasn't played much in the last year due to injury) are the big 3 but Shoaib is definitely top 4 now. Kumble I've never thought of as an amazing bowler, but he always gets the wickets.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bazza said:
There is a lack of quality bowling around at the moment - Murali, Pollock and McGrath
You say that, but Neil and I were looking back through the years, and the levels of the bowlers in terms of points hasn't changed much from time when there were other bowlers we'd perceive to be better.