• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Khan - Made in England

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Imran Khan - Made in England

Most would agree Imran Khan is the greatest cricketer his country has produced but, as Martin explains, in large part Pakistan have England to thank for that
I'm going to be honest here. Not the best article I have read on Imran. First of all, it was the WSC that really helped him transform and secondly the article made no mention of how he worked on his action throughout his early years.

However, your writing itself is as good as always.

watson

Banned
Actually, now that I think about it, most of humanity's greatest art, science, literature, philisophy, and religion have come from the intelligentsia located in the middle to upper classes of British society. The rest of the planet has merely played catch-up to that little island off the coast of western Europe for the last 500 years or so.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, now that I think about it, most of humanity's greatest art, science, literature, philisophy, and religion have come from the intelligentsia located in the middle to upper classes of British society. The rest of the planet has merely played catch-up to that little island off the coast of western Europe for the last 500 years or so.
The ancient Greeks, Romans, Egyptians and Chinese - to name but a few - will be really pissed off to hear that. Let alone the Italians and French of the renaissance, who the English copied in deriving a lot of their cultural, artistic, architectural and musical mores.

Burgey

On reflection, the old English slip cordon of Da Vinci, Aristotle, Plato and Michelangelo at gully was as good as any we've seen.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
this is trolling, right?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Really enjoyed the article.

No sooner had he upset one employer than Imran crossed swords with another, as he became one of the Pakistani players who consistently held out through the various Test series of 1976/77 for better terms. At the time Pakistan players picked up just GBP50 for a Test - to put that in context near neighbours India paid their Test cricketers GBP350 per match. The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) used plenty of stick, with the occasional carrot, in order to weaken the resolve of the Pakistani players but Imran and five others stood firm and eventually secured better terms for the whole team. In Worcester this lingering dispute was of course interpreted as further evidence of Imran being financially motivated, but in truth money for him was irrelevant. For Imran the desire to play for Pakistan was so strong that he would have done so for no remuneration at all, but there was an important point of principle at stake for him, and he was acutely conscious of the financial strain placed on those members of the side who did not have the priviliged background that he had.
WAG

I'm going to be honest here. Not the best article I have read on Imran. First of all, it was the WSC that really helped him transform and secondly the article made no mention of how he worked on his action throughout his early years.
It mentions both of these things.

smash84

The Tiger King
and yes, I will be taking my sweet time going over this before commenting. I don't know for some reason I have been having trouble accessing CW for the last few days

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: most hilarious post I have read on CW in a while :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

watson

Banned
The ancient Greeks, Romans, Egyptians and Chinese - to name but a few - will be really pissed off to hear that. Let alone the Italians and French of the renaissance, who the English copied in deriving a lot of their cultural, artistic, architectural and musical mores.
I did say the 'last 500 years'. Yes, I'm all in favour of the ancient Greeks and have a soft spot for the battles of Marathon, and Salamis.

Anyway, back to Imran Khan..........I've heard from Smali that he's a very good cricketer.

smash84

The Tiger King
i don't know why you didn't like this piece Agent, I thorough enjoyed this piece which shed light on a part of Imran's life which isn't that often covered.

And i do totally agree with the assessment that Imran's early years in England really set the tone for his future endeavors and the way that he viewed the world. Moving around in the British high society he has picked up ideals that you would think belong more to people who brough the west minster model of democracy rather than a proud pathan from pakistan.

benchmark00

I'm not a numbers man as such, but I think we all want to know Imran's stats in the UK. i.e. how many loose Worcester bish's did he pull.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thanks for the article Fred. So you do fulfill requests :D
I do for people who make favourable comments on my work and/or have a post count of 32,406 or more - I am currently working on a piece about some bloke called Darren Murphy who has been involved in a number of low profile incidents involving Stuart MacGill and Richard Chee Quee which need to be in the public domain - I have managed to track down Mr Murphy's agent in order to get his input but at this stage James won't agree to his fee demands

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Loved this anecdote.

But that didn't sit comfortably with Neale's observation that I didn't find him at all arrogant and a story he tells of Imran's sense of humour He once got five noughts out of seven innings, and Norman Gifford teased him about how bad he was against the spinners, and said he didn't like men round the bat. Whenever he played against us for Sussex, Giffie would put himself on early, and post the close fielders round him. Imran could see the joke - he would smile and say "Oh no Giffie" - and we would have a great battle.
Good article fred, with a nice slightly controversial title to ruffle some feathers.