• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Hashim Amla be among strong contenders for a spot in the AT World XI?

smash84

The Tiger King
Hashim Amla has come a long way since his debut and he has looked really solid for the last 3 to 4 years.

Hashim Amla | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

He has played about 70 odd tests and averages about 52. He plays the quicks really well and manages to play spin quite well too (usually plays it very late and from the crease but doesn't look uncomfortable doing that).

My question is that has he done enough to be considered for a spot in an ATXI? Or how long does he need to carry on like this to be a contender for a spot in an ATXI?

MrPrez

International Debutant
Bare in mind that the likes of Ponting and Lara averaged more than that when they were in their prime like Amla is now. They tailed off towards the end of their careers, just like Amla will in inevitably do what with his unorthodox technique. Also remember that Amla hasn't had to face Steyn/Morkel/Philander. Who else is there nowadays that can really be considered a great bowler? Anderson, Ajmal, Swann?

subshakerz

International Coach
Hashim Amla has come a long way since his debut and he has looked really solid for the last 3 to 4 years.

Hashim Amla | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

He has played about 70 odd tests and averages about 52. He plays the quicks really well and manages to play spin quite well too (usually plays it very late and from the crease but doesn't look uncomfortable doing that).

My question is that has he done enough to be considered for a spot in an ATXI? Or how long does he need to carry on like this to be a contender for a spot in an ATXI?
Nope. Sadly, given that the best attack in the world is his own team, and the bowling around the world pretty much sucks, its hard to rate him that highly even if he continually performs well in all conditions.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I would say no for a World XI, but he a definitely a certainty for a South African XI at first drop. Amla, Pollock, Kallis and Nourse.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Just Anderson. I wouldn't consider Swann or Ajmal as great bowlers. And why are you including Morkel in that list?
Wasn't claiming that all 3 are great, just that it's generally considered the best of bowling attacks nowadays, and he hasn't had to face it.

Great and All-Time Great are two different things, by the way.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Code:
season 2010/11		63.77	
season 2011/12		56.53	
season 2012		58.85	
season 2012/13		59.16	
season 2013/14		45.87	(After one match)
Is he really going to improve further?

akilana

International 12th Man
He has been awesome in the last few years. He doesn't need to improve but just keep doing what he has done in the last 4 years.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Code:
season 2010/11		63.77	
season 2011/12		56.53	
season 2012		58.85	
season 2012/13		59.16	
season 2013/14		45.87	(After one match)
Is he really going to improve further?
I'd say so. The next 3 or so years he will be in his optimus prime.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also this is the same as those people who said Hussey was soon to be an ATG.

Wait for career to be over.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also this is the same as those people who said Hussey was soon to be an ATG.

Wait for career to be over.
Come now.... Amla has achieved a lot lot more. That said it is better to wait till he's played at least 100-110 matches.

I'm confident Amla will end up ATG... It's not just his consistency, he's proved himself by scoring bug runs in every country he's played in. He's succeeded literally everywhere already. Has shown he can score at an amazing pace without taking too many runs as well. Sign of a great player in the making.