• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2013 Fastest Bowler

Fastest bowler

• Johnson

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Morkel

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Steyn

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Finn

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
tshep: That video is of Merchant De Lange. Have seen him get past 150Km/h on occasion.

Very few out-and-out speed merchants (:ph34r:) about the place, lots of guys regularly in the low 90's but that's about it. Just shows you what a freakish time it was when we had Tait, Lee and Akhtar pushing the speed gun.
be aware De Lange only hit 150 in NZ, a place famed for it's notoriously generous speed guns.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
be aware De Lange only hit 150 in NZ, a place famed for it's notoriously generous speed guns.
Sure. Would rather face ****s like Lee, though; used to hate facing guys bowling at speeds disproportionate with appearances.

Brett Lee; run-up near the sightscreen, charges in, looks mean, something lightning this way comes. De Lange; has Chris Harris' run-up, jogs in like a javelin thrower, pace like fyyyre.

Just **** off.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
yeah 140kph from 6'5'' and a 10 pace run-up is definitely scarier than a comparative midget like lee at 150+. Must seem to come from nowhere.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
more meant mid-140s as compared to early 150s than right at either extreme. A few extra inches of release height is definitely more physically threatening than five to ten kph at those speeds because the bowler doesn't have to telegraph their bouncer as much due to the kick they get off a fuller length.

watson

Banned
Does anyone know what speed Chris Tremlett bowls at when fully fit? He's 205 cm (6 ft 7 in) and could make an impact in the Ashes series if he bowls consistently over the 140 kph.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I thought he was 6'0'' or so? Gets much lower in his action than most anyway so that's probably what gives the impression

Top_Cat

Wikipedia, bastian of correctness, puts his height at 6'2" (187cm). Does skid, though.

watson

Banned
Harold Larwood, Ray Lindwall, and Malcolm Marshall were all sub-6-foot midgets who skidded the ball through to the batsman, but were still a bit scary to face. Perhaps size is over-rated.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sure. Would rather face ****s like Lee, though; used to hate facing guys bowling at speeds disproportionate with appearances.

Brett Lee; run-up near the sightscreen, charges in, looks mean, something lightning this way comes. De Lange; has Chris Harris' run-up, jogs in like a javelin thrower, pace like fyyyre.

Just **** off.
Yeah couldn't agree more. Takes so much concentration at the start of a spell to convince your natural reactions that it's going to be quick.

smash84

The Tiger King
Harold Larwood, Ray Lindwall, and Malcolm Marshall were all sub-6-foot midgets who skidded the ball through to the batsman, but were still a bit scary to face. Perhaps size is over-rated.
Shoaib Akhtar is 5 10 and waqar not much taller either.

Webcomics

Cricket Spectator
Do we know anything of domestic players in many countries who are actually VERY fast, perhaps as fast as their professional counterparts, but not as accurate or skilled? Technically there might have been a county or first-class player somewhere who might have bowled the FASTEST ball ever but wasn't necessarily skilled enough to make it to International cricket.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Does anyone know what speed Chris Tremlett bowls at when fully fit? He's 205 cm (6 ft 7 in) and could make an impact in the Ashes series if he bowls consistently over the 140 kph.
Tremlett bowled around 83-84mph(133-136kmh) last time around iirc. Now he's more like 80-81mph and can hardly play two games in a row.

Johnson then Tino for me in this poll based on this year alone.

Tymal Mills then possibly Matt Dunn are the quickest in England. Both less than 6 foot I would guess.

Top_Cat

Do we know anything of domestic players in many countries who are actually VERY fast, perhaps as fast as their professional counterparts, but not as accurate or skilled? Technically there might have been a county or first-class player somewhere who might have bowled the FASTEST ball ever but wasn't necessarily skilled enough to make it to International cricket.
Exceedingly unlikely, in my opinion. Atul Sharma barely played cricket at all (not even club cricket I believe) and got a heap of attention. No news travels faster in any form of organised cricket than somone bowling with decent wheels.

Top_Cat

In terms of speed, sure. But for wicket-taking, without being a firm rule, the tall guy will get the nod in selection over the quick guy.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Exceedingly unlikely, in my opinion. Atul Sharma barely played cricket at all (not even club cricket I believe) and got a heap of attention. No news travels faster in any form of organised cricket than somone bowling with decent wheels.
I never knew until this post that atul sharma was a real person. That video seemed too comical to be true.