• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan in UAE, Where Would Your Back-Up Be?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If your country was forced to play Tests in a non-Test playing country, where would be the most logical choice?

I suppose for England it would have to be Ireland. Close proximity, easy to travel to, same time zone etc.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Eastern US would be quite a good time zone for English fans actually. Start late afternoon and go through the evening. Means people could watch after getting back from the seaside and Tescos.

Howe_zat

Audio File
With things as they are I'd expect the ECB to play neutral matches in the UAE anyway.

Ireland is a nice thought but I'd think they'd be reluctant to give Irish cricket more weight in the international arena - they do know which side their bread is buttered, you fear

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Are there any decent cricket pitches in Fiji? It's pretty much the same timezone as NZ.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Most countries would use the UAE because you already have everything there and the facilities are top notch plus the pitches are good (fast bowlers and spinners). Good for the fans as well with Dubai being a tourist destination and free entrance to test matches.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Most countries would use the UAE because you already have everything there and the facilities are top notch plus the pitches are good (fast bowlers and spinners). Good for the fans as well with Dubai being a tourist destination and free entrance to test matches.
Really? UAE as a whole gets 8 mill int tourists a year - about the same as Indonesia. Malaysia, where I live gets 25 million and all pale in comparison to France with 80+ mil. Dubai is definitely an international city but it isnt top of the list of places where English cricket fans would want to watch cricket (though probably neither are Malaysia or France)

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NFI. We're pretty isolated, so it would probably be a South-East Asian country if they have adequate facilities.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Beefy boy is losing the plot.

Goughy mentioned Hong Kong for England, I was thinking the same for Australia if the facility was good enough. They are about 3 hours behind Australia so Test matches would start at around the same time as day night matches start. There are a number of ex-pats obviously too and if we were playing a subcontinent team they would get good support too.

PNG to get a token Test too.