Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Wasim - style over substance?

Wasim - style over substance?

Whatever the answer is, still a great player - but with slightly under 4 wickets per match, and a higher proportion of tail-enders than some of his fellow greats in the quick department, is Wasim an ever-so-slight victory for style over substance?

This isn't to say there isn't massive amounts of substance too. But to look at Wasim, and examine what he has in his locker, so to speak, you could be forgiven for imagining a sub-20 average bowler. But a data analysis show him to be statstically inferior to those who would challenge his implied supremacy.

Opinions
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    What's your beef with Wasim?
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Talisman of his side tbh
    hendrix likes this.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    To answer the first post -- a little bit. He certainly had substance but he is made to be more than he was. "He could bowl 6 different balls an over!" So what?

I dont really have emotional attachment to cricketers so I dont quite get it when other people do. It leads me to looking like I overly criticise many people's favourite players when in reality I just think they are rated over and above their pure contributions. I am perhaps a working class, pit face, dour cricketer and aesthetics mean little to me. No Wasim, Carl Hooper, David Gower, Mark Waugh near any of my favourite XIs.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    What's your beef with Wasim?
    That his success took some of the limelight off Heath Davis
    Black_Warrior likes this.

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    To answer the first post -- a little bit. He certainly had substance but he is made to be more than he was. "He could bowl 6 different balls an over!" So what?

I dont really have emotional attachment to cricketers so I dont quite get it when other people do. It leads me to looking like I overly criticise many people's favourite players when in reality I just think they are rated over and above their pure contributions. I am perhaps a working class, pit face, dour cricketer and aesthetics mean little to me. No Wasim, Carl Hooper, David Gower, Mark Waugh near any of my favourite XIs.
    I would tend to agree with you on most points.. While I do have an emotional attachment to certain players and Wasim is one of my personal favourites, but I to tend to critically analyse them and most of the time, my most favourite players such as Inzamam and Wasim Akram tend to fall short on 'substance'

Going back to the original post, yes I would agree with that, although I am not sure if its so much about style over substance but more like the substance not matching up to the skill level.
    Yes he could bowl 6 different deliveries without much change to his action or wrist position, but does he have the career to show for that?
    Bowlers who could NOT do all that and did not possess that skill level have a better career to show.

There were perhaps a few external factors that made a difference but at the end of the day, when you look back at a player's record, you don't look at all that, you look at their quantifiable achievements and Wasim if he is being honest with himself would acknowledge that he might have been the most skilled bowler of his time, but he was unable to use that to become the best bowler of his time.

More quality and substance than Flintoff
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    More quality and substance than Flintoff
    I don't think even GuyFromLancs would deny that. Not really the point though.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

I agree that he didn't dominate as much as he should have and could perhaps have done better. Having said that, I'm not really bothered much about statistics as I don't feel they always capture the quality of the player. I haven't seen too many bowlers who are better than Wasim Akram and I think he's clearly one of the greatest of all time.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    On what planet does a bloke with over 400 Test wickets at an average of 23 fall short on 'substance'?

He had an enormous box of tricks and is statistically is probably in the top 10 bowlers of all time when you look at the volume of wickets he took. What more are you looking for?
    hendrix and Jono like this.

International Vice-Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    On what planet does a bloke with over 400 Test wickets at an average of 23 fall short on 'substance'?

He had an enormous box of tricks and is statistically is probably in the top 10 bowlers of all time when you look at the volume of wickets he took. What more are you looking for?

Probably shouldve taken more wickets considering the amount he played, but he's obviously a great great bowler no one's denying that
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromLancs View Post
    Whatever the answer is, still a great player - but with slightly under 4 wickets per match, and a higher proportion of tail-enders than some of his fellow greats in the quick department, is Wasim an ever-so-slight victory for style over substance?

This isn't to say there isn't massive amounts of substance too. But to look at Wasim, and examine what he has in his locker, so to speak, you could be forgiven for imagining a sub-20 average bowler. But a data analysis show him to be statstically inferior to those who would challenge his implied supremacy.

Opinions
    Fully agree with that, especially the part in bold.

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Both substance and style.

He was a massive crowd puller however, and easily one of the most exciting crickets to have ever played the game.The enigma and spark around his ability does add a lot more to his career persona.He has a career record that rightly puts him amongst the greatest crickets to have played the game.However,yes, when you look at the astronomical talent that he had, he could have ended up heads and shoulders above all other fast bowlers, whereas as things stand, he is one of the best, not THE best.

Obviously this is down to issues off the field, and the fact that Wasim indulged in the ever present web of groupings in Pakistan Cricket. I think it got to a point where his own self belief in his ability got the better of him occasionally, and thus shows career figures that could have been better had he focused on the game itself.

A good thing that i've noticed about Wasim after retirement, is his constant help to young bowlers.He was responsible for Gul becoming a top drawer bowler a couple of years back, he transformed Ishant into a much better bowler when he coached KKR, played a role in Irfan Pathan bursting into the international arena, and also left a marked impression on Starc. Sure, this isn't really a lineup of fast bowlers who are the greatest in the world, but it does go on to show he has always been willing to pass on knowledge, and every time, there has been a marked improvement in the mentioned fast bowlers performance when he has been in Wasim's guidance.
    Last edited by salman85; 24-10-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Talisman of his side tbh
    Not for Lancashire

he played alongside some rank fieldsmen in his day and age. in many ways he was the picture of inconsistency but having said that, he could be, and was, about as devastating and mercurial as they come. the batsmen could never afford to relax because the next unplayable delivery was just around the corner
    smalishah84 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information