• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden names All Time World XI

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Wisden All Time World XI
01. W.G. Grace
02. Sir Jack Hobbs
03. Sir Donald Bradman *
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Sir I.V.A. Richards
06. Sir Garfield Sobers
07. Alan Knott +
08. Wasim Akram
09. Shane Warne
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Sydney Barnes

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath for Barnes. Also would probably have Hammond or Headley for Tendulkar, but meh.

There'll be some comment about Knott over Gilly I suppose, but I don't see a problem with going for a pure gloveman in an ATG XI.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Did Gilchrist ever win Wisden Cricketer of the Year? If not, that would definitely explain his absence.

I do like how the team consists of cricketers from all the different eras of Test Cricket.

gwo

U19 Debutant
Hard to disagree to much with that XI.

I think the most contentious places in the squad are Knott (plethora of alternatives), Warne (Murali), Grace / Barnes (depending on stance of pre WWI cricketers) and Akram (Lillee, McGrath, Imran etc etc)

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did Gilchrist ever win Wisden Cricketer of the Year? If not, that would definitely explain his absence.

I do like how the team consists of cricketers from all the different eras of Test Cricket.
He won it in 2002.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Was genuinely surprised at Akram over Lillee and Grace over Hutton, otherwise fairly predictable. Don't think it's a Test xi, but rather cricket in general encompassing Test, First Class and ODI, but could be very wrong.

Personally though, just don't believe though that Barnes did enough to merit selection, Grace wasn't successful at Test cricket and don't know what Wasim brings to a team that Imran doesn't beside being left handed. Knott was handy with the bat, but Gilly was a match winner with the bat and brilliant vs Warne with the gloves, but no real problem with that selection as it's really a toss up with those two. wicket keeper batsman or batsman wicket keeper.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
And he's awesome.

I love all time teams, but I really think that pre-1910/1920 cricketers are too hard to gauge.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I get the feeling that we (CW) generally like to pick more of a bowling all rounder at 8 and figure that Wasim isn't good enough for the other two fast bowling spots.
No, because he wasn't that great a bowler compared to the competition. Less than 4 WPM, too high a percentage of tail end wickets and his strike rate was a tad high.

And he's awesome.

I love all time teams, but I really think that pre-1910/1920 cricketers are too hard to gauge.
Fully agree.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
No, because he wasn't that great a bowler compared to the competition. Less than 4 WPM, too high a percentage of tail end wickets and his strike rate was a tad high.
How come you asked me why if you already had your own answer.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
You are correct, sorry.

But I didn't mean why we don't pick him (those are the reasons I listed) , but why is he selected by these type of teams.

Phrased the reply poorly.

smash84

The Tiger King
:laugh:

I think these teams are also selected based on how skillful a bowler really was in his playing days. To me there has been no one who was more skillful with the ball than Wasim. He could do pretty much everything off a 10 pace run up without losing any speed. Despite the terrible Pakistan fielding unit his average is 23.5. With a slightly better fielding unit it probably would have been much better. Perhaps ratings like Wisden do take these things into account.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Happy to see Tendulkar there, great choice by Wisden. But they should have put him at 3.