• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden names All Time World XI

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
And McGrath not making either XI is outrageous imo. My third XI would beat both of the teams above

- Victor Trumper/ Barry Richards
- Gordon Greenidge
- Ricky Ponting
- Jaques Kallis
- Clyde Walcott
- Allan Border
- Syed Kirmani
- Richard Hadlee
- Curtly Ambrose
- Glenn McGrath
- Bill O'Reilly

watson

Banned
It would also be an interesting exercise to get DoGs 'Peak Averages' (25 Tests) and use them to calculate the team average/total runs. After all, there's a ton of difference between the batting average + skill level of Viv Richards circa 1980, and circa 1988. Obviously the 'real' Viv Richards is closest to the early 80s than at any other time.With ultra consistent batsman like Bradman the use of 'Peak Averages' doesn't matter so much, but for batsman with long and varied careers it does.

Last edited:

bail

Cricket Spectator
Lara should be there on any great XI over Tendulkar. Noisy Indian media have heavily influenced the general public opinion to think otherwise. Lara is the most stylish batsman to ever play this game and he remained the same through out his career. He played and scored against the best of the era (McGrath,Gillespie, Warne etal playing together in there prime) and his style of batting never changed through out his career. The best player of spin bowling among all the eras.

bail

Cricket Spectator
Another surprising omission is Ambrose. One will be surprised to know the fact that only once in his career, spanning of more than 400 wickets, he gave away more than 100 runs in an innings. That too in the fag end of his career in a sub-continent wicket. Mean, Miserly, Unplayable Ambi is a wonder.

Last edited:
This is a very good team I think. Maybe McGrath could have been in there, or Murali as a second spinner. The only thing I would definitely change is that Gilchrist should no doubt be there.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Telegraph actually thought Botham had a shot! Much as I like the man, he doesn't get close to being in the consideration set in first two XIs realistically.

archie mac

International Coach
Lara should be there on any great XI over Tendulkar. Noisy Indian media have heavily influenced the general public opinion to think otherwise. Lara is the most stylish batsman to ever play this game and he remained the same through out his career. He played and scored against the best of the era (McGrath,Gillespie, Warne etal playing together in there prime) and his style of batting never changed through out his career. The best player of spin bowling among all the eras.
Did not think he was even the most stylish of his generation, let alone all time. Mark Waugh for my money

bail

Cricket Spectator
Did not think he was even the most stylish of his generation, let alone all time. Mark Waugh for my money
Mark Waugh, Hooper, Aravinda Desilva all comes to my mind when we speak about elegance from 90s.

It is special when a left hander drives against a fat spinning delivery from Warne through the cover point. When the same left hander dance down the track and plays an on-drive through the carpet against the spin off Murali, it is even better to watch. And when he scores the winning runs off a bullet boundary through the covers against Gillespie, it is a sight to behold.

Lara was class apart when you consider all round batting - both against spin and fast bowling. Hooper comes second, but was very lazy and sometimes looked like a dunce.

sambha

Cricket Spectator
Develiers should be included as wicket-keeper...

excellent batsman,great fielder/wicket-keeper.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeez, some of the posts in this thread... Great XI from Wisden, encompassing all eras of cricket. Differing from my own of course, but great in its own right.

Sharry2013

Cricket Spectator
My all time XI
1 Hobbs
2 Hutton
3 Bradman
4 Viv Rchards
5 Miandad
6 Sobers
7 Rod Marsh
8 Malcolm Marshall
9 Michael Holding
10 Charles Aubrey Smith
11 Muralitharan
12th man:Ernest Jones

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My all time XI
1 Hobbs
2 Hutton
3 Bradman
4 Viv Rchards
5 Miandad
6 Sobers
7 Rod Marsh
8 Malcolm Marshall
9 Michael Holding
10 Charles Aubrey Smith
11 Muralitharan
12th man:Ernest Jones
ok I'll bite - what did "round the corner" Smith ever do to deserve to be in that company?

andyc

Certainly a bold move to include a one-Test wonder in your All-Time XI.

Langeveldt

Soutie
This is a needless display of knob polishing from an 'authority' that no longer has any relevance to modern cricket supporters.

Anyone who argues that the addition of Gilchrist over Knott, for example, wouldn't strengthen this team is a fool.

This list has no more credibility than Joe Whatshisname from down the road.
Yeah this

I'll take a test average of whatever Gilly's was over anything thank you very much..

And I've no idea how WG would deal with Johnson on a bouncy Gabba pitch.. He'd probably tread on his stumps and refuse to leave the ground

Sharry2013

Cricket Spectator
He was Wonderful

ok I'll bite - what did "round the corner" Smith ever do to deserve to be in that company?
If You read about there was a lot he did with the ball unfortunately not many people know about him a he was more famous as an actor. Smith could ball fast bring the ball back in sharply,.legcutter ,offcutter he did give great performances in First class cricket once he won it one for his team by dismissing last 2 batsmen without a ru that his team won by 2 runs. He also troubled the batsman with his Confusing action. W.G Grace, the most celebrated Batsman of 19th Century rates him as the best
h v

fredfertang

Can't help but think that the reason he never played a proper Test match (ie one against Australia) is that he wasn't one of the best players of his own generation, let alone of all time