• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden names All Time World XI

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I really like this team..I am glad they have such a nice blend of players from different eras rather than just packing it with those that today's generation knows about..
And mighty glad with Knott over Gilchrist..Gilchrist being an automatic selection in every All Time XI is so boring.

watson

Banned
Happy to see Tendulkar there, great choice by Wisden. But they should have put him at 3.
Why No.3? I've batted more times at No.3 for India than Tendulkar has.

The only contentious choice for me was Wasim Akram. If Sobers wasn't selected then fair enough because Wasim would add variety to the attack. But Sobers was selected so why not a right-armer?

BTW kyear - Do you have a link to the original Wisden article? The Wisden people may discuss their rational for the team make-up. Could be interesting.

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
I think Grace is probably the most contentious for mine. Definitely picked on mythology and domestic record pre 1877 rather than Test record (which tbf started after his 32nd birthday and went for 19 years so past his prime). Fair enough to acknowledge his position in establishing the game as as mass spectator sport in England, but would have been happier seeing Ranji named if they wanted to make sure a 19th century player was included.

Wasim and Knott the other ones I'd quibble with a bit. Two champs but Imran offers so much more over Akram other than the left hand angle (Sobers can cover that), and Gillies batting for mine just brings too much more to the table than Knott's glovework.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Love the team. I don't think it's just a test team though... Probably all forms of cricket.

Akram's record never really impressed me that much. 414 wickets in 104 matches isn't that great for such a great bowler. Anyway i don't get the logic of picking a left armer for the sake of variety when you've got a cricketer who is at worst equal as a bowler and a far more capable batsman. This one all-rounder only rule which most such lists seem to follow is BS. Imran deserves a spot

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is a needless display of knob polishing from an 'authority' that no longer has any relevance to modern cricket supporters.

Anyone who argues that the addition of Gilchrist over Knott, for example, wouldn't strengthen this team is a fool.

This list has no more credibility than Joe Whatshisname from down the road.

akilana

International 12th Man
Love the team. I don't think it's just a test team though... Probably all forms of cricket.

Akram's record never really impressed me that much. 414 wickets in 104 matches isn't that great for such a great bowler. Anyway i don't get the logic of picking a left armer for the sake of variety when you've got a cricketer who is at worst equal as a bowler and a far more capable batsman. This one all-rounder only rule which most such lists seem to follow is BS. Imran deserves a spot
But remember "stats don't tell the whole story."

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is a needless display of knob polishing from an 'authority' that no longer has any relevance to modern cricket supporters.

Anyone who argues that the addition of Gilchrist over Knott, for example, wouldn't strengthen this team is a fool.

This list has no more credibility than Joe Whatshisname from down the road.
You've always hated Joe ever since he turned you down when you asked him out to the year 10 formal.

Bushranger

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not happy at all with wisdens selections.

01. W.G. Grace
02. Sir Jack Hobbs
03. Sir Donald Bradman *
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Sir I.V.A. Richards
06. Sir Garfield Sobers
07. Alan Knott +
08. Wasim Akram
09. Shane Warne
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Sydney Barnes

My Team
1. Jack Hobbs
2. Sunil Gavaskar
3. Don Bradman
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Viv Richards
6. Garry Sobers
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Imran Khan
9. Shane Warne
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Dennis Lillee

12th. Jacques Kallis

Now I get Barnes was great but I feel on sticky wickets back then in the early 1900's Sharma could have bowled a average of 16.
Now Knott I get he was a great keeper and was a good leader but Gilchrist and Sangakkara have changed the game and there average is way better than Knotts.In fact Gilchrists average is 12 runs better a game.
WG Grace the man the myth well no one really knows how good he was but the fact there was 3 countries playing cricket at the time the Comp wasnt flash. So Sunny gets the Nod by a mile...
Wasim now someone mentioned this earlier and I feel the exact same way. You have Sobers as a left handed bowler. And for me Imran was on par bowling wise with Wasim but god Imran could Bat.

Theres my reasons and I feel my team looks better and Im sure most would have this team as there top 11 and with Kallis in at 12th.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
I have a personal distaste for choosing players for which there exists no video footage. If you haven't seen the player play, I have a hard time taking your views seriously. I know, it sounds harsh and disrespectful of cricket's history.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is a team to celebrate 150 years of Wisden and is clearly designed to cover all the players who have played in that time, given that is the crietira then Grace is an automatic pick.

Knott and Wasim far more contentious, Wasim seems to pop up a lot in these sort of sides and I don't really get it.