Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Captain Cook's All Time ODI XI

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Captain_Cook's Avatar

Captain Cook's All Time ODI XI

I've noticed a large number of threads dedicated to Test XI so I'm going to add to the smaller number of ODI XIs. There are some surprises and some predictable choices. Be warned, this list is a matter of personal preference.

I will start with the twelfth man before I start the list:

Shane Watson
    Australia 2002-

RHB RFM

Runs - 5105
    Average - 41.16
    Strike Rate - 89.48
    100s - 8
    50s - 30

Wickets - 162
    Average - 29.53
    Economy - 4.83

This Australian all rounder is one of my favourite players, mainly due to his antics in the summer of 2005 for Hampshire where he recorded his highest FC score. I think he's the perfect twelfth man: an aggressive batsman at any position in the batting order (despite his technical flaws) and a stingy pace bowler who can bowl 10 inexpensive overs and take wickets when batsmen make errors. However, his jack of all trades, master of none playing style has cost him a place in the team outright.

I - ?
    II - ?
    III - ?
    IV - ?
    V - ?
    VI - ?
    VII - ?
    VIII - ?
    IX - ?
    X - ?
    XI - ?

Twelfth Man - SR Watson
    He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right, but when he bowls at the stumps, he makes England look ****e!

My Modern Test XI (since 2000): AN Cook, GC Smith (c), HM Amla, KC Sangakkara (w), MJ Clarke, IR Bell, S Watson, GP Swann, VD Philander, DW Steyn, JM Anderson.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    thanks for the warning
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

decent pick IMO, Watson's ODI credentials are often forgotten when we get pissed off at him ****ing up constantly in tests, very valuable ODI player.

Although I probably don't consider him up with the ATGs though tbh
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

Jonty ftw.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Although I probably don't consider him up with the ATGs though tbh
    I do. Batting average of 40 at a SR of 90 as an opener. And he's your 5th bowler sorted.

Adds a lot of flexibility to an ODI team does Watto

Yeah, his figures looks excellent but you have to consider the era of ODI cricket he has played in - very different to the 80s and 90s and I think that should be taken into account tbh.
    Zinzan likes this.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Captain_Cook's Avatar
    X

Wasim Akram
    Pakistan
    1984-2003

LHB LF

Wickets - 502
    Average - 23.52
    Economy - 3.89

The leader of the bowling attack. Akram's record is spectacular and I would use him to open and close the innings along with my IX. The weapons he had at his disposal are matched by few ODI bowlers in the game nowadays. Even in this era of powerplays, better bats, two new balls and short boundaries, I feel that Wasim Akram's talents would still be almost impossible for most batsmen to dominate. As the master of the yorker, he defines the death bowler as it was originally intended and I don't know anyone who has executed it better.

I - ?
    II - ?
    III - ?
    IV - ?
    V - ?
    VI - ?
    VII - ?
    VIII - ?
    IX - ?
    X - W Akram
    XI - ?

Twelfth Man - SR Watson

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Here's hoping Ronnie Irani will make it in the team.
    Maximas likes this.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Mate, that guy was the main reason for my successful Essex campaign in cricket captain 2005, although Graham Napier wasn't too shabby either

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Mate, that guy was the main reason for my successful Essex campaign in cricket captain 2005, although Graham Napier wasn't too shabby either

Whatever Ronnie lacked in international cricket, he made up for in demonstrating his calisthenics to the adoring crowds.

I can even forgive him his unfortunate affliction - being Lancastrian.

They both belong in my XI (or get very close). So I like the start.

Yeah, his figures looks excellent but you have to consider the era of ODI cricket he has played in - very different to the 80s and 90s and I think that should be taken into account tbh.
    I still think he's one of the best ODI players of all time though. He'd definitely make my list of the best eleven ODI players, but he probably wouldn't make my all-time XI (or XII) for balance reasons.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    No doubt, but his figures compare with Amla, KP and AB Devill, who are the best modern ODI bats imo

Even though this is an ATG ODI team, I do have a problem with the selection of players who aren't also great/extremely good Test match players. They just seem like half-baked players with some kind of flaw in their game to me.

So while the selection of Shane Watson just makes me go "blllurrrrr", the selection of Wasim Akram is excellent from every angle.
    Last edited by watson; 24-10-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - David Gower - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Even though this is an ATG ODI team, I do have a problem with the selection of players who aren't also great/extremely good Test match players.
    Well I think that's a problem you have to deal with as picking a ODI side has as much to do with test credentials as vice versa.......and Shane Watson is the perfect example of this.

As others have said it is debatable if Watson is an ATG ODI player, I can certainly see arguments for both sides but one thing is for certain he is one of, if not the best short format players in the game today. Personally I don't think he is worth a squirt of piss as a test player though.......but why on earth would that stop me picking him in a current World 11 One Day or T20 side??

Do you suggest that Michael Bevan shouldn't make Captain Cooks list??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information