• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congratulations to Imran Tahir

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No I still don't think he's that good. But seriously it takes immense courage and character to bounce back from an unbearable nightmare like his last test in Adelaide to taking a 5-fer on day 1. I thought his career was over when he got the pummelling of 10 lifetimes from Clarke, and most bowlers would probably have been scarred for life. He may never get another 5-fer again, who knows, but for now, Congratulations on a fairytale comeback.

Also, props to him for saying repeatedly in his interview today that Steyn set the tone for him to make breakthroughs.

Daemon

I didn't see any of his bowling besides the wickets, which obviously had some pretty good deliveries in it, but his pitch map to the right handers was ok at best. So genuine question...did he really bowl that well, is it the pitch, the batsmen or a combination of all three?

OverratedSanity

I didn't see his whole spell and a couple of his wickets were din to horrendous shots.
But I seriously think it's irrelevant how he bowled. Most people are going to brush this performance off as him being lucky and feeding off Steyn's pressure. Yes he did but at the end if the day, it's five wickets, some with very good deliveries. I think he deserves credit

Daemon

I didn't see his whole spell and a couple of his wickets were din to horrendous shots.
But I seriously think it's irrelevant how he bowled. Most people are going to brush this performance off as him being lucky and feeding off Steyn's pressure. Yes he did but at the end if the day, it's five wickets, some with very good deliveries. I think he deserves credit
I'm not taking credit away from him, I just want to know whether we can expect some sort of consistency from the bloke.

OverratedSanity

I'm not taking credit away from him, I just want to know whether we can expect some sort of consistency from the bloke.
Probably not as he's got some very basic problems and even today did bowl some long hops which weren't put away. But he's clearly produced balls which the batsmen haven't picked... Those deliveries may have been mixed between a bunch of bad balls, I don't know, let someone who watched the match comment. But Akmal didn't pick his flipper, his googly landed pretty well too, so ll in all it can't have been a mediocre spell

What a story this is though... To come back from the worst bowling figures to a day 1 5-fer in a must win match. Superb

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, wtf is it with people talking about modern cricketers? Lets start an ATG draft thread instead.
You are right. But threads like these are not the answer either. How about I start a thread every time someone scores a century?

OverratedSanity

You are right. But threads like these are not the answer either. How about I start a thread every time someone scores a century?
I apologise my thread wasn't up to your Bradmanesque standards. I will consult you the next time I decide to post one.

I dunno, I just thought it was something worth talking about, and you don't, which I can handle. The snark was unnecessary

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wasn't snarking you man. I apologize. You are correct. I shouldn't be saying anything. Tahir's first over and first wicket today was bad. After that, good stuff!

salman85

International Debutant
He had a decent match.Not as good as his figures suggest though, mind you.He was aided by some crappy shot selection.

Steyn was the real destroyer.But any match where Steyn doesn't run through lineups is a surprise, not the other way around.This will probably be Imran's last noteworthy performance.Expect his career to be thrown down by the pit by a decent batting line in the near future, and not one as fragile as the one he bowled to today.Pakistani Batsmen have a history of making average bowlers look like world beaters, and today was no different.

If Imran had put in performance against a batting unit like India or England, THAT would have been an achievement.Today was just a false high.

It's like going to a brothel and scoring.Doesn't make you a ladies man.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He's been a pretty decent ODI bowler in the past, I did expect him to bounce back if given another shot tbh. Not so dramatically though.