• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A spirited defence of Mr Flintoff

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
The revisionism taking place on here bewilders me. I can be certain in 10 years that Chris Martin would have been a better batsman than Flintoff; Younis Khan a better bowler; and Tuffers a better fielder.

And look at the evidence. 32 with ball, 31 with bat. Unarguably a crap player right?

Not really no, because those stats without context are meaningless. In the first 5 years Flintoff didn’t take bowling seriously – hence his then average of 40-odd with ball in hand. When he lost weight, and got fit, he was one of the best goddam bowlers in the world. A better bowler than Kallis I might add. Listen to the words of the Aussies who faced him. His 150 or so wickets in his prime came at an average of about 27, on flattening pitches to boot. I’ll concede that prime wasn’t long enough, but this wasn’t all his fault.

And batting. Well, Fllintoff in the same period averaged about 40, with a very high strike rate. He was a genuine number 6 for the said time, and scored 5 centuries, and 402 in the 05 Ashes (whilst taking 24 wickets). I’ve seen Flintoff bat in person, and I can tell you now that he was without doubt the hardest hitter of a cricket ball I’ve ever seen. Harder than KP, Hayden, Gilchrist and numerous others I’ve also seen live. And his timing, once in, was exceptionally good too. For me, Flintoff’s weakness batting-wise was his self-belief (weirdly for a guy who nailed 82 sixes in test cricket). He looked very nervous until he reached the 20 or 30 mark. But once he did, despite a lack of footwork, he could caress excellently as much as he could slug.

And he was an exceptional fielder in any position. Bucket hands, great anticipation, and than run-out of Ponting in 09 was unbelievable.

So yeah, the overall stats at the end of his career (when not taking into account the full story) are a magnet for “certain people” who like to claim that Kallis was a better bowler (nonsense he was), or that Vaas was his equal as an allrounder (laughable).

Flintoff’s crime, so to speak, is the front end of his career (when he shouldn’t have played test cricket, and ignored bolwing), and the back end (when near crippled through injury). For 3-4 glorious years he was the only, genuine, bona fide allrounder in Cricket. And we all know what I mean by that.

Amen.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Flintoff's getting done to death in here at the moment.

I'll summarise Flintoff for everyone here.

"He was a pretty handy cricketer".

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Always thought his best spot would have been number seven. Had he played a lot of cricket with Alec Stewart in the team and batting above him, I think he'd have averaged more with the bat.

Was a fine cricketer. Hard hitting, genuine pace, good hands and had presence. Too many good attributes to be a Pom, really.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, I wasn't nearly flippant or dismissive enough.
If you're gonna be bothered enough to log in and post an essay, then you may as well at least put enough effort in as to be flippant and dismissive, I hope this doesn't make you feel any less beefy btw

Daemon

So yeah, the overall stats at the end of his career (when not taking into account the full story) are a magnet for “certain people” who like to claim that Kallis was a better bowler (nonsense he was), or that Vaas was his equal as an allrounder (laughable).
Just wanted to pop in and say that no one (not even Migara) has claimed this is the case, so people need to seriously stop going on and on about it.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
A gifted underachiever with a ceiling higher than most.

Easy to forget he was in terms of averages a 40/28 man between 2003 and 2006 at test level. Not many all rounders put both parts of their games together for decent periods of time.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Always thought his best spot would have been number seven. Had he played a lot of cricket with Alec Stewart in the team and batting above him, I think he'd have averaged more with the bat.
Yeah, the thing that holds me back with Flintoff is his batting - even in his prime he was only averaging in the low 40s. Which is very, very good given his bowling, but I'm just not sure whether it was quite enough overall to justify being picked at 6 and classed as a 'genuine' allrounder. Would he have been selected in the top six of say the Australia 06/07 team (pre-Martyn retiring at least)?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No he wouldn't but I would imagine any side in the world would have been strengthened by him 03-06. You could argue South Africa would have had no need for him but I'd have thought they'd have taken him at that point as a bowler alone.

You could have put him in the Oz side at 8 if need be, but post 05 Ashes even they were obsessed with getting their own version (Watson, Symonds).

You couldn't say that about Shakib or Vettori for ****'s sake, and yes Dong nobody actually said Vaas was a better all-rounder but the fact his name even came up shows how absurdly he is being rated.

Last edited:

Daemon

No he wouldn't but I would imagine any side in the world would have been strengthened by him 03-06. You could argue South Africa would have had no need for him but I'd have thought they'd have taken him at that point as a bowler alone.

You could have put him in the Oz side at 8 if need be, but post 05 Ashes even they were obsessed with getting their own version (Watson, Symonds).

You couldn't say that about Shakib or Vettori for ****'s sake, and yes Dong nobody actually said Vaas was a better all-rounder but the fact his name even came up shows how absurdly he is being rated.
Someone brought up Flintoff's peak averages, I brought up Bresnans for fun, then Migara pulled Vaas' out of his gold and blue arse. I think his point was that while inferior, they were sort of similar, even though Vaas wasn't considered a genuine allrounder. That was just in order just to show that Freddie's peak stats aren't jaw droppingly great. After that people brought up the whole talisman thing and how it's not all about stats, which is fine, but yeah, Vaas is innocent, leave him out of this!

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, the thing that holds me back with Flintoff is his batting - even in his prime he was only averaging in the low 40s. Which is very, very good given his bowling, but I'm just not sure whether it was quite enough overall to justify being picked at 6 and classed as a 'genuine' allrounder. Would he have been selected in the top six of say the Australia 06/07 team (pre-Martyn retiring at least)?
When Andrew Symonds made that top 6 I'm not sure you can argue Flintoff wouldn't have.

Completely agree with what Burgey said about Flintoff batting 7. He was awesome there against South Africa in 2003.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Loved Flintoff but never saw him as a top 6 bat, always thought we had a fairly weak 6,7 and 8 in him, Jones and Giles but the fact we had a bloody good bowling unit lead by Flintoff meant we got away with it. Was a guy who got bums on seats in his prime as anyone who bowls 90mph or smashes the ball out of the park is worth watching and provides proper entertainment. Just a shame his pomp was so shortlived. Probably has to go down as a player who on his day was brilliant but as he wasn't a great for long enough has to go a level below the likes of Botham and Imran as an all rounder. All sides worldwide would want him now though some more than others.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
So yeah, the overall stats at the end of his career (when not taking into account the full story) are a magnet for “certain people” who like to claim that Kallis was a better bowler (nonsense he was), or that Vaas was his equal as an allrounder (laughable)..
Care to show when this was done? Who said Vaaas was better than Flintoff?