• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Donald Bradman & One Day Cricket

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
We all know Bradmans great batting feats, especially his Test average of 99.94. Though if ODI's were around in his day, how do you reckon he would go? For example would he have a ODI average better then Michael Bevan or a ODI strike rate better then Adam Gilchrist?
I think that Bradman would of been a great ODI batsman, he probablly would of torn bowling attacks to pieces. What do you all think?

masterblaster

International Captain
Im going to play a 'straight bat' on this one. How are we meant to compare players from the past in today's society???

Society has changed in the last 60 years. The standard that was there 60 years ago is incomparable to today's.

Somethings we just aren't meant to know.....OR worry about!!!!

Bradman as an ODI player in the 20th/21st century???

I don't know!, and I surely dont care!

Sorry for sounding a little pompous, but thats the truth and I stand by that.

Bradman vs Tendulkar
Bradman vs Viv
Bradman vs Lara

who really cares???

I've enjoyed watching all three bat and all three are the best in the business.

Nothing else to me, really matters anymore.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
masterblaster said:
Im going to play a 'straight bat' on this one. How are we meant to compare players from the past in today's society???

Society has changed in the last 60 years. The standard that was there 60 years ago is incomparable to today's.

Somethings we just aren't meant to know.....OR worry about!!!!

Bradman as an ODI player in the 20th/21st century???

I don't know!, and I surely dont care!

Sorry for sounding a little pompous, but thats the truth and I stand by that.

Bradman vs Tendulkar
Bradman vs Viv
Bradman vs Lara

who really cares???

I've enjoyed watching all three bat and all three are the best in the business.

Nothing else to me, really matters anymore.
Firstly I wasn't specifically comparing Bradman with any modern players in particular.

My post was just meant for creating discussion.

You are entitled to your opinion and thats great.

Also I'm entitled to post things as long as my posts are within the rules of the forum (which they are) :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It is an interesting point, but not one that will ever get a satisfactory conclusion (not that I think it's worthless - debate is what this place is about!)

For me, I don't think he'd average as many as Bevan (since he won't bat as low as Bevan does as he's more of a middle order player than a finisher)

I also don't think his S/R would be as high as Gilchrist / Sehwag / any-other-primarily-opening-big-shot-hitter as I think he'd serve the side better by coming in down the order and would average a lot more.

One things for certain - I which I'd seen him bat!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you ask me Bradman would probably average about 150-200 if he played Test-cricket now (no certainties - just a conclusion I've reached. Some assess the evidence the other way).
In the one-day game I'm confident he'd average about one dismissal every 10 innings if he batted at three, so I'd expect him to average close to 1000.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I think Richards right in as much as I would picture Bradman batting the way many players did when ODIs first came about in the 70s. They were so used to preserving their wicket they would have a very high average but a rather poor SR.

eg Miandad had a SR of 66 and Gavaskar 62. This is just 4 runs per over = 200. Not a particularly good SR yet these were great test batsmen.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
He scored at a very quick rate in Tests. I've read he could score 300 in a day. That makes me think that he would be perfectly suited to the one day game.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Bradman did score quickly, but they used to bowl alot more overs in those days - I looked up his first double and he scored 254 off 376 balls which is pretty quick, but that was probably scored in under a day (the match had over 500 overs in 3 days).

Indeed the next match he scored his 334 off 448, then a 232 off 417 nothing special.

Bradman has the fastest 200 in terms of minutes, faster even than Astle, but he probably faced nearly twice as many balls in that time.

krkode

State Captain
Setting aside all society-comparison barriers, I'd say Bradman would be a batsman very similar to Tendulkar, or maybe Viv Richards.

I don't think he would average like Bevan. Bevan is aided by numerous numerous not outs, and the likes of Bradman, I don't think he would bat at #6. He'd probably bat at #3, and that would give him good exposure to big scores but little exposure to not-out accumulations.

He'd be aggressive but I don't think Gilchrist, Afridi aggression. More like Tendulkar/Richards in terms of aggression. In terms of average also, I'd imagine, he'd be more like them - mid 40s.

That is *if* he were playing today. If he were playing in ODIs of the 70s, then perhaps you can subtract a good 5 runs from the average and another 10 from the SR.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I think personally its very difficult for me to judge how bradman would have fared in todays cricket, with different style of bowling, wickets, umpring, etc. That goes for ODI and tests alike.

But if there were ODI cricket in those days his feats would definately have been extraordinary and unparalled just like test cricket.

Andre

International Regular
To me, Bradman would have to be the only cricketer I can confidently say would have been brilliant in any era or generation.

So as for the question as to would he succeed in ODI cricket, I've got no choice to respond with a resounding yes.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Anyone here about the 28 ball hundered Bardaman supposedly scored once??

I dont think it was a FC match because it would be a record but form what I have heard the team containd sevral quality bowlers a few FC players of the time and past test bowlers.

I have read about this supposed hunderd on quite a few occasion's I wonder if anyone know's anything more about it?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Anyone here about the 28 ball hundered Bardaman supposedly scored once??

I dont think it was a FC match because it would be a record but form what I have heard the team containd sevral quality bowlers a few FC players of the time and past test bowlers.

I have read about this supposed hunderd on quite a few occasion's I wonder if anyone know's anything more about it?
The innings in question was a non-FC match, with Bradman playing for an invitational Blackheath XI vs Lithgow Pottery Cricket Club on Nov. 3 1931. According to Bradman's biography ('The Don'), he was on 54 when an offspinner by the name of Bill Black (who never played FC or Test cricket) was brought on. Bradman is reported to have asked the keeper 'What does this fellow bowl?', to which the keeper replied 'Don't you remember this bloke? He bowled you out a few weeks ago [in a previous tour]. He's been boasting about it ever since.'
Black apparently set an ambitiously attacking field. Bradman hit the first ball for 6 over mid-on, then hit a further 6,4,2,4,4,6,1 (retains strike for next over), 6,4,4,6,6,4,6,4, (partner hits single) 6,6,1 (partner hits single) 4,4,6.
In that sequence of three eight-ball overs he went from 54* to 154* in 22 balls and 12 mins, the fastest 100 runs ever recorded at any level of cricket. He went on to make 256, with 29 4's and 14 6's.

He had also taken 4/49 in the first innings bowling leggies :P

Last edited:

ian671

Cricket Spectator
battle of the era's

i would have to agree that "the don" is the greatest cricketer ever. his records speak for themself, i wish i had the pleasure of seeing him play. but its impossible to compair era's in any sport, mostly due to the advances in equipment and playing conditions. would a bevan score so many runs or a warne taken so many wickets had they played on the uneven surfaces? and the primativeness of the equipment (compaired to todays game). its like compairing jessie owans 100m record to tim montgomary's 100m. the advances in footware and tracks make it impossble to compaire, but makes for an interesting topic of discussion. :D

C_C

International Captain
40-50 average is my bet, though i can see him average under 40. Great test batsman doesnt necessarily translate to ODI success and there are numerous examples of this.
For all we know, Bradman may've pulled a Sehwag- awesome average in Tests, pathetic in ODIs. Or a steve Waugh/Clive Lloyd ( who was a very fast scorer himself).

Richard's claims are way too preposterous for debating.

The guy was the best damn batsman ever ? Absolutely
The guy was the best damn cricketer ever ? arguable
The guy was God ? No.

Considering he never even played ODI cricket, this is like debating would Genghis Khan have liked smoking a pipe or a cigar.

C_C

International Captain
Scallywag said:
I think Richard's claims make a lot more sense than yours, but thats just my opinion.
ofcourse
expected response from you.

Dont forget the 'Aussie Aussie Aussie. OI OI OI' on yer way out.
8-)

Scallywag

Banned
C_C said:
ofcourse
expected response from you.

Dont forget the 'Aussie Aussie Aussie. OI OI OI' on yer way out.
8-)
Your an idiot C_C, what crap will you come up with for saying the Don would ave less than 40 in ODI's.

Let me guess, you read in Bothams book that all bowlers play better in ODI's and the Don would have scored less than 10 day/nighters.

You allways think you know everything about every cricketer but your just full of shyte.

Yeah I know that you aknowlege that the Don is the greatest but you think by saying that it allows you to spew forth you vile putrid bile.

C_C

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Your an idiot C_C, what crap will you come up with for saying the Don would ave less than 40 in ODI's.

Let me guess, you read in Bothams book that all bowlers play better in ODI's and the Don would have scored less than 10 day/nighters.

You allways think you know everything about every cricketer but your just full of shyte.

Yeah I know that you aknowlege that the Don is the greatest but you think by saying that it allows you to spew forth you vile putrid bile.

because it is NOT certain he would've averaged over 40.
Scored well in tests ? scored astronomically fast in tests ?<which is a slight stretch>
all i can say is: Sehwag or Lloyd.

him averaging under 40 is a small possibility but a real possibility.
Now bugger off.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
C_C said:
because it is NOT certain he would've averaged over 40.
Scored well in tests ? scored astronomically fast in tests ?<which is a slight stretch>
all i can say is: Sehwag or Lloyd.

him averaging under 40 is a small possibility but a real possibility.
Now bugger off.
I just wonder if bradman was from the sub-continent would you say he would average more....

I dont think, however, bradman would be explosive as gilly or others around the world, because its a known fact he is not a 6 hitter, he only hit something like 3 6's in his whole test career, however, i do believe he would be as solid as a rock, and would average very very highly, but i sort of doubt his ability to take a match away from a team... no dis-respect intended