• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Donald Bradman & One Day Cricket

C_C

International Captain
haha and im parochial?... the fact is that you only are saying that because Bradman is Australian... hahaha you really are making a fool of yourself here...
you are parochial and assinine for asserting that i am only saying that because Bradman is an aussie, when i mentioned other reasons categorically.

Bradman COULD bowl.... what evidence have you seen that has shown sobers is a better fielder? you being really old and wise... at 23 years old!...
Yeah. Bradman could bowl. Even Lehmann or Tendy can bowl. Trouble is, he isnt even in the same galaxy as Sobers when it comes to bowling. Just like how tendy or Lehmann's bowling arnt in the same galaxy as Keith Miller's.
And Sobers was a FAR better fielder.
How do i know ? because i've taken time to educate myself when it comes to cricket.
Sobers alongside Eknath solkar were rated as the two best leg slippers ever.
articles and books written by people who've seen Sobers field said that the only one from his era or before in the same class was one Colin Bland in overall fielding- being a surehand at the slips or excellent in the outfield.

i think i'd pick bradman anyday of the week over sobers.... and im sure im not alone
as a batsman i would pick Bradman any day of the week over Sobers too.
But as a CRICKETER, i would pick Sobers any day of the week over Bradman.

By other forums do you mean the racist one you go too? nah i think i'll pass
like i said,it is just as racist as this one is.
And notice i said forumS not forum.
You would pass because you cannot deal with the fact that there are MANY MANY cricket fans who rate Sobers as a greater CRICKETER than bradman.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
C_C said:
nothing sadder than seeing two parochial fools backslapping each other.
8-)
lol how about one arrogant loser?

no point discussing anything with you... you are blinkered... you speak so highly of yourself.. yet what comes out of your mouth contradicts your thoughts

C_C

International Captain
no point discussing anything with you... you are blinkered... you speak so highly of yourself.. yet what comes out of your mouth contradicts your thoughts
no point discussing now.
When you gain the knowledge and nous to argue your case, then you may try again.

If you want the names of the books, i will be willing to oblige.
if you want footage of Sobers, i will be willing to oblige with the names of websites that can help ya out.

So far the most idiotic comment that i've heard is just coz Bradman could 'bowl', he equals Sobers as a cricketer.
hell....then brian Lara, who's turned his arm over ever so occasionally on the field, can equal Sobers too..right ?

benchmark00

C_C said:
no point discussing now.
When you gain the knowledge and nous to argue your case, then you may try again.

If you want the names of the books, i will be willing to oblige.
if you want footage of Sobers, i will be willing to oblige with the names of websites that can help ya out.

So far the most idiotic comment that i've heard is just coz Bradman could 'bowl', he equals Sobers as a cricketer.
hell....then brian Lara, who's turned his arm over ever so occasionally on the field, can equal Sobers too..right ?
yeah thats exactly what i said 8-)

You are so knowledgable and i am so stupid :notworthy 8-)

C_C

International Captain
you are if you think that the greatest batsman who could turn his arm over and who was a decent fielder can be a better cricketer than a great batsman who was a good bowler and a great fielder.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
This underlines YOUR parochialism, not mine.
It does?
No, stereotypes should not be placed without reason, but I'm afraid there's no two ways about the fact that subcontinentals - Indians especially - are generally those who are keenest to talk down the idea that Bradman was massively superior.
Therefore I cannot help wondering, were Vijay Hazare and Bradman to be the other way around, would a subcontinental be so keen on downtalking him?
I might add it is perfectly possible for you to be unaware of any prejudice you may have against him.
BTW, can't help feeling this'll probably get closed before long...

C_C

International Captain
No, stereotypes should not be placed without reason, but I'm afraid there's no two ways about the fact that subcontinentals - Indians especially - are generally those who are keenest to talk down the idea that Bradman was massively superior.
perhaps you should visit/interact with the caribbean community then.
Many there think that not only wasnt the Don the best batsman ever, he wasnt a patch on headley.

I might add it is perfectly possible for you to be unaware of any prejudice you may have against him.
BTW, can't help feeling this'll probably get closed before long...
perhaps but then thats valid for everyone.
I might add it is perfectly possible for you to be unaware of any bootlickin tendencies you have for him.

I've already said he is the best ever who'd most likely average 40-50 with the bat in ODIs but i can see him average under 40, as he didnt play ODI cricket so we dont know if he would be one of those oddball cases.
You claim of 1000/500 ave. are preposterous to say the least. His chink in the armor was playing express pace and in modern day times it would've cost him a lot more than in his era.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
besides bodyline, when tactics were used that are now deemed illegal, when else did bradman struggle against extreme pace?

C_C

International Captain
I've read numerous accounts of bodyline series and i've come to the conclusion that it was not as bad as facing the WI four prong or Lillee/Thommo.......Bodyline had bowlers of inferior pace compared to the WI four prong by most accounts and that alone would be enough to drag Down Bradman to some saner numbers.
Another thing about Bodyline- it may take a bit of time for me to search for the articles, but there were articles written DURING bodyline that suggested Bradman just wasnt comfortable against intimidatory bowling. He got suckered into the "bouncer-then yorker' combo by Larwood three or four times during that tour and IIR the article correctly (it had exerpts from the SMH), Bradman was very much perturbed by larwood's fast-medium pace and fuller line.....few ungainly swipes ( very un-bradman-ish) and then comprehensively bowled.

benchmark00

C_C said:
I've read numerous accounts of bodyline series and i've come to the conclusion that it was not as bad as facing the WI four prong or Lillee/Thommo.......Bodyline had bowlers of inferior pace compared to the WI four prong by most accounts and that alone would be enough to drag Down Bradman to some saner numbers.
Another thing about Bodyline- it may take a bit of time for me to search for the articles, but there were articles written DURING bodyline that suggested Bradman just wasnt comfortable against intimidatory bowling. He got suckered into the "bouncer-then yorker' combo by Larwood three or four times during that tour and IIR the article correctly (it had exerpts from the SMH), Bradman was very much perturbed by larwood's fast-medium pace and fuller line.....few ungainly swipes ( very un-bradman-ish) and then comprehensively bowled.
Yes but he would have no trouble if the same rules applied back then as they do now, i mean he would now know that 6/7 of the 8 balls bowled werent all going to be bouncers, so ofcourse he would feel alot more comfortable and could play it with ease...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
And I've shown quite clearly that you are incorrect if you think you know for certain that the bowlers were of inferior pace in those days.
There is absolutely no reason to assume that - and I too have read many accounts of Bodyline.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
perhaps you should visit/interact with the caribbean community then.
Many there think that not only wasnt the Don the best batsman ever, he wasnt a patch on headley.
Yep, and if you ask me anyone who thinks that is biased towards someone from their own country.
From everything I can deduce Headley was the one batsman of the 20th-century who came closest to Bradman - but he wasn't as good or anywhere near.
perhaps but then thats valid for everyone.
I might add it is perfectly possible for you to be unaware of any bootlickin tendencies you have for him.
It is - but why would I have any? There is no logical reason for such.

C_C

International Captain
And I've shown quite clearly that you are incorrect if you think you know for certain that the bowlers were of inferior pace in those days.
plenty of reasons are there actually. Here's one
CLR James wrote in late 50s that Wes Hall bowled at a pace not seen in the interwar period ( except for the case of Learie Constantine in patches).......
Wes Hall later said that he didnt bowl THAT fast, high 80s/low 90s stuff and his prime weapon was the steep bounce he could generate.

Its inference really.
Bodyline = intimidatory bowling by high 80s/low 90mph bowlers.
WI four prong, Wasim,Waqar,Imran, Donald, etc etc = mid/high 90mph bowlers.

If Sir Don batted TODAY, he would've probably dominated just like in his era as apart from Akhtar, there arnt quality fast bowlers right now.
but through the 70s,80s and 90s, he would've faced men significantly faster than he ever faced in test cricket.

C_C

International Captain
From everything I can deduce Headley was the one batsman of the 20th-century who came closest to Bradman - but he wasn't as good or anywhere near.
overall i agree. On sticky wickets, i would pick headley 10 times outta 10 over Bradman though.

benchmark00

C_C said:
On sticky wickets, i would pick headley 10 times outta 10 over Bradman though.
Disgusting comment, how can you be so sure? its unknown so you cant say itd be so one sided