• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Exactly how good was VVS Laxman?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
On his day, pretty much peerless. My favourite trait of his was how he'd wristly flick away quick bowlers like they were spinners - then murder actual spinners.

But there is an element of enigma. For much of his career he averaged about 40, whilst his comrades in the India order for much of the time were Sehwag (50), Dravid (55), SRT (55), Ganguly (43)* meaning Laxman was regarded, and was picked as a number 6.

In what tier do you rank Laxman?

* I know some of these averages then reclined slightly

Last edited:

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
Very good imo.

Anyone who plays a knock as good as that 281* must be more than just good, anyway. Bottomline, he could win you test matches from the most outrageously bad situations, and to have done that as a lower middle-order batsman takes a lot of doing.

Apart from it, pretty much everyone agrees on how he made batting look so easy and charming to the eyes.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of my absolute favourite players ever. Rate him extremely highly. Apart from SRT, Dravid and Gavaskar, I would struggle to place any Indian batsman ahead of him. He had a touch of genius and an ability to come to our rescue when things looked dire. Yeah his average isn't great, yeah his century count is poor, his conversion rate pathetic because he scored o many pretty 60s-70s and threw his wicket away cheaply too often. But he played the role of "pull a rabbit out of the hat and dig the team out of an unimaginably deep hole" better than anyone I've seen. I mean, just in 2010 alone he played 3-4 innings of that sort within a matter if months, without which we probably wouldn't have got to number 1.

I'm not too much of a stats man, but that average of 46 doesn't do him justice imo. It's primarily so low because of his terrible start to his career when he was forced to open while he was clearly a middle order batsman.
In the period from 2000 till the end of his career in 2012, over 109 tests, he averaged over 50 against the top sides (excluding BZ/Zim). Not too shabby for someone considered inconsistent.

Among Indians, he's fourth all time imo behind Tendulkar, Dravid and Gavaskar

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It'd be difficult not to look like a good bloke when you consider some of the people he lined up alongside.

Flem274*

123/5
cbf checking the stats but his low average might be due to him not cashing in when the going was easy and India were 900/4.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
On his day, pretty much peerless. My favourite trait of his was how he'd wristly flick away quick bowlers like they were spinners - then murder actual spinners.

But there is an element of enigma. For much of his career he averaged about 40, whilst his comrades in the India order for much of the time were Sehwag (50), Dravid (55), SRT (55), Ganguly (43)* meaning Laxman was regarded, and was picked as a number 6.

In what tier do you rank Laxman?

* I know some of these averages then reclined slightly
For most of Laxman's career he averaged 50.

See my Greatest XI thread for why he was special.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Saved his best for Australia, which suited me, always loved watching him play but his record in England and SA leaves some to be desired, I think he will rightly be remembered for being a very aesthetically pleasing batsman capable of playing great innings', rather than a truly great batsman IMO

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He was a joy to watch. Matched my fave (M.Waugh) for elegance.

To watch VVS and M.Waugh put on a 200 run p/ship would be my idea of cricket heaven.