• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Exactly how good was VVS Laxman?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Flipping logging beef.

Sounds like something a bunch of gay lumberjack cattle farmer hamburger lovers would do Saturday nights.

watson

Banned
Very good player.

But he had a glaring weakness against genuine pace and the incoming deliveries.Plus his tendency to get bowled so often is something that somewhat puts me off,and IMO suggests that there was something missing in his technique.This is one of the reasons why he will always be a notch under the likes of Dravid and co as far as i'm concerned.
Dravid: Bowled 55/286 - 21.7%

HowSTAT! Player Dismissal Analysis Graph

Laxman: Bowled 39/224 - 20.4%

Tendulkar: Bowled 53/327 - 18.4%

Sehwag: Bowled 31/180 - 17.8%

Gavaskar: 33/214 - 16.7%

Ganguly: 26/188 - 15.2%

It appears that Ganguly defends his stumps the best out of some great Indian batsman. But what does that mean?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That settles it I reckon. Ganguly has the least technical faults among India's batsmen while Dravid has the most deficiencies. Sounds about right

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
That settles it I reckon. Ganguly has the least technical faults among India's batsmen while Dravid has the most deficiencies. Sounds about right
Far more technical faults around than ones that only get you bowled. Case in point: Shane Watson.

Though it does seem opposite to conventional wisdom that David got bowled so much, given he was known as The Wall

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid's technique is often exaggerated as being perfect.

He did actually get bowled fairly often, and not just at the end of his career.

What was so outstanding about his technique is that he always played the ball as late as possible. He'd rarely be caught behind the wicket to outswing, for example. That is a pretty awesome quality.

Someone like Sachin in his peak had perhaps more orthodox technique but could be known to swing through the line of the ball, and if there was shape he'd be as vulnerable as anyone to being caught behind the wicket.

Dravid was extremely good at waiting for the ball to swing and playing it right in front of his eyes.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the other thing that set Dravid apart was his mental aptitude and hunger to play long innings, even if he wasn't scoring many runs

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Really good but also very flawed. My favorite batsman (favorite != best or anything near it)

Flaws:
1.) Lazy on the front foot made him very pleasing on the eye, but that also meant he could get in trouble against quality swing bowling. It wasn't a pace or bounce issue. It was a swing issue and to a larger extent, a moving ball issue.
2.) Could throw away his wicket cheaply when the runs were there for the taking. If he didn't have those match-winning contributions in tough situations (Ahmedabad, Kolkata, etc), we'd call him temperamentally weak for how he threw his wicket away oftentimes. The 'appetite for runs' was lacking. I don't find this to be a big deal but those obsessed with needing to have a 50+ average should point to this. IDGAF (see strength 1).

Strengths:
1.) The strongest case for Laxman is that he made runs when most of the team didn't or couldn't make runs (overseas conditions, 4th innings chases, avoiding follow-ons). It's a team game; you should want players to complement each other in order to increase the set of circumstances in which your team can win or save matches. There's no point having seven clones of the same batsman if they will still succeed and fail in the same situations. It's part of why Laxman was twice the player Sehwag was imho. Sehwag almost always made runs in conditions where any other Indian bat down the order would've made runs. Laxman's 4th innings average is amazing. He also didn't earn his average by FTB-ing in India. Au contraire, his overseas average is very comparable to his average in India, which is rare to say for an Indian batsman.
2.) One of the best at shepherding the tail. He got the most out of Ishant, Zak, Kumble, Harbhajan, and RP Singh when he batted with them.
3.) Wrists
4.) Timing

Salamuddin

International Debutant
High quality player. Averaged 40+ in Australia and South Africa. Very few subcontinental players managed that. The 40+ in SA is particularly impressive - given the nature of SA wickets and particularly so when suncontinental teams tour.

Toaster

Cricket Spectator
A slightly off topic question, how on Earth did Gayle and Samuels manage to average in mid 50s in the tough wickets of South Africa?4

_00_deathscar

International Regular
One of my absolute favourite players ever. Rate him extremely highly. Apart from SRT, Dravid and Gavaskar, I would struggle to place any Indian batsman ahead of him. He had a touch of genius and an ability to come to our rescue when things looked dire. Yeah his average isn't great, yeah his century count is poor, his conversion rate pathetic because he scored o many pretty 60s-70s and threw his wicket away cheaply too often. But he played the role of "pull a rabbit out of the hat and dig the team out of an unimaginably deep hole" better than anyone I've seen. I mean, just in 2010 alone he played 3-4 innings of that sort within a matter if months, without which we probably wouldn't have got to number 1.

I'm not too much of a stats man, but that average of 46 doesn't do him justice imo. It's primarily so low because of his terrible start to his career when he was forced to open while he was clearly a middle order batsman.
In the period from 2000 till the end of his career in 2012, over 109 tests, he averaged over 50 against the top sides (excluding BZ/Zim). Not too shabby for someone considered inconsistent.

Among Indians, he's fourth all time imo behind Tendulkar, Dravid and Gavaskar
Classy, classy batsman Laxman - wonder if the last sentence changes with what Kohli has done/started doing recently though.

Kirkut

International Regular
I remember a story when India toured Australia in 1999, Laxman wasn't getting any runs initially and his stats were horrible. Before the Sydney test, Laxman's father had adviced him to quit cricket and continue his studies in medicine, so that Sydney test was a do or die for him. And then he bats in Sydney as if there was no tomorrow, scored an awesome 167 comprising of effortless class shots, thus began his love for scoring against Australia, because of that 167 his cricket career was saved.