• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any Fast bowler who got a lot wickets on sub-continent pitches w/o relying on swing?

sambha

Cricket Spectator
Any Fast bowler who picked up lot of wickets on sub-continent pitches especially in India without having to rely upon swing?

salman85

International Debutant
Depends on what your definition of what 'a lot' is.

Mcgrath and Pollock are the first ones that come to mind.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weren't Marshall and Hadlee predominantly swing bowlers? Or did they not get much swing in SC and relied more on cutters etc? Correct me if I'm wrong

Holding got a bunch of wickets here and what I've read about him portrayed him as someone who relied on his sheer pace accuracy and some seam movement instead of significant swing... But Hadlee was always described as a master of swing, while Marshall did everything

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
John Lever and Ian Botham. Lever was accused (probably rightly tbf) of using artificial aids - in the Jubilee Test Sir Beefy was at his brilliant best

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall and Holding in '83 with sheer pace.

Though they both (especially Maco) could swing it when required.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Michael Holding.....WAFG.....could crank it up on flat wickets and keep up the pace. Could make life so uncomfortable

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Excuse my ignorance, but what is it about Indian wickets that make them so **** for pace bowlers.

I mean India have only produced one good pace bowler ever.

smash84

The Tiger King
nothing too wrong with the pitches.....it is the attitude towards the game....the pitches in pakistan are more roads than India

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Excuse my ignorance, but what is it about Indian wickets that make them so **** for pace bowlers.

I mean India have only produced one good pace bowler ever.
Kids just want to be batsmen here. Lazy little rascals cbf running 30 yards at full tilt

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
The main difference is blind luck. Pakistan got Imran Khan, who spawned a generation of imitators. That led to the WWs, which led to today.

India got a bunch of batsmen, and some handy spinners.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Imran's been on record stating that the Northern Pakistanis just have a bigger build and are more genetically suited to fast bowling, but I don't buy that. You don't really need to be that big to be a good fast bowler, and I know plenty of Indian expats who have very athletic builds. Players like Umesh Yadav certainly have a good enough physique.

Heroes clearly matter in the subcontinent.

I suspect all if would take is for a few cricket ads on TV to show a reverse swinging yorker rather than endless Sachin straight drives and Dhoni helicopter shots. In 10 years that would create enough fast bowlers for India, but it won't happen.

watson

Banned
The main difference is blind luck. Pakistan got Imran Khan, who spawned a generation of imitators. That led to the WWs, which led to today.

India got a bunch of batsmen, and some handy spinners.
I've always assumed that the proliferation of spin bowling in India is due to the Indian cultural preference for things intellectual and complex. Looking in as an outsider it seems obvious to me that the art of spin bowling with its subtleties and deceptions seems more in tune with the Indian 'psych', rather than the simple brawn and machismo of fast bowling. It could be a case where the mindset of religion (Hinduism) has effected the way sport is played.

But I could be completely wrong of course.......

Last edited: