• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Player Of...The Reverse Sweep

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm curious to know who all of you think was the best player of the reverse sweep. Two obvious candidates spring to my mind:

Andy Flower and Shivnarine Chanderpaul.

Flower was the original and the master over the course of my cricket-viewing lifetime, but Chanders is the remix, and makes the shot incredibly attractive to watch.
I think Andy Flower just sticks in my head in a really negative way. He used to destroy India with his sweeping and reverse sweeping. And it just looked so ugly compared with every other stroke I've seen.
But my bias against the stroke flipped when I saw Chanders unleash it in the 2003 world cup against South Africa (I think?). Chanderpaul has played the smoothest reverse sweeps I've ever seen. I think scientists at NASA are still trying to figure out how a reverse sweep can look smoother than butter.

Thoughts and other worthy names?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Mike Hussey not only played it well but he seemed to know exactly when to pull it out as well

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can remember when Mushtaq Mohammad started to use it in the old Sunday League, and then a few others would occasionally copy it - they were light years away from what you see now - it was village green stuff in comparison to what you see now

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
Andy Flower's the best I've seen.

That first shot in the video by Morgan there was more of a reverse- reverse sweep.