Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Lara v Tendulkar ................. at fielding

Lara v Tendulkar ................. at fielding

Despite being among the very best of the ...er ...very best - neither COMPLETELY changed the world in the field. Not like Taylor, Waugh, Dravid, or Kallis IMO.

Was this due to a "I'm so good at batting, why should I care" vibe? And who was better?
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

I think they both had the "I'm so good at batting, why should I care" vibe. On the whole, I think Tendulkar was slightly less worse than Lara.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    What? Lara was a magnificent slip fielder imo... Extremely safe and took several stunners.
    Never thought I'd pick one of them without hesitation in a Lara vs Tendulkar debate, bur Lara decisively because of his value in the slips
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Lara was a very good fielder. Very very good.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    who was better at running between the wickets?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

who was better at ducking down when they got bowled
    JontyPanesar and smalishah84 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Generally speaking, it's ******** to constantly talk about players who stopped playing ages ago.

Past doesn't exist nor is it revelant anymore.

basically tired of lara v tendulkar, mcgrath v marshall, murali v warne... It's all done and dusted. Their time was up long ago, time to move on.
    the big bambino likes this.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Who was more scared against Akhtar.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    Generally speaking, it's ******** to constantly talk about players who stopped playing ages ago.

basically tired of lara v tendulkar, mcgrath v marshall, murali v warne... It's all done and dusted. Their time was up long ago, time to move on.
    Then simple. Don't read the threads.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Lara was an ATG/ Great slip fielder with superb hands and just a hair below the Taylor, Chappell, Hooper category.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar

So why open a thread called "Lara v Tendulkar at fielding" ****? You know, it's pretty obvious what it's gonna be about.
    kyear2 likes this.

its like when you see a car broken down on a level crossing. you dont want to look, but you just can't stop yourself

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    So why open a thread called "Lara v Tendulkar at fielding" ****? You know, it's pretty obvious what it's gonna be about.
    So that a cricket nerd or two is maybe influenced to start a better discussion and not one that has been done to the core like a 1000 times (thats probably an under-estimate) as there's been a lack of good discussions of late.

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    So that a cricket nerd or two is maybe influenced to start a better discussion and not one that has been done to the core like a 1000 times (thats probably an under-estimate) as there's been a lack of good discussions of late.
    So what if you have? You've been here a while, some haven't. I haven't discussed it... This seriously pisses me off about Cricket chat

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromLancs View Post
    Despite being among the very best of the ...er ...very best - neither COMPLETELY changed the world in the field. Not like Taylor, Waugh, Dravid, or Kallis IMO.

Was this due to a "I'm so good at batting, why should I care" vibe? And who was better?
    lol that's pretty low. both were more than decent fielders. Sachin was well above-average for an Indian fielder of his time (which in one sense isn't saying anything and in another says a lot). Lara, as has been pointed out, was a good slipper. Just because they weren't the greatest fielders of all time, doesn't mean they were a bunch of bums. They were very professional in the field. Why is it a must that you be ATG both with the bat and in the field? Totally different skills.

Think about this though too, what if Tendulkar demanded to be in the slips to have more impact in the field? VVS Fatman would have then had to do a lot more ball chasing. Sometimes it's about getting the most out of all of your players, at the cost of showcasing one's individual abilities; the pieces have to fit and that can often mean hiding your fatties in the slips. A quick bit of youtube searching and you can find some excellent moments of Sachin and Lara in the field, far more than any goof-ups. They were good fielders who don't deserve derision

So many other players are guilty of "I'm so good at batting, why should I care" that it's absurd to pose this question for either player. Think of a certain paper tiger of bengal
    Last edited by JontyPanesar; 18-10-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information