• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara v Tendulkar ................. at fielding

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Despite being among the very best of the ...er ...very best - neither COMPLETELY changed the world in the field. Not like Taylor, Waugh, Dravid, or Kallis IMO.

Was this due to a "I'm so good at batting, why should I care" vibe? And who was better?

Himannv

International Coach
I think they both had the "I'm so good at batting, why should I care" vibe. On the whole, I think Tendulkar was slightly less worse than Lara.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What? Lara was a magnificent slip fielder imo... Extremely safe and took several stunners.
Never thought I'd pick one of them without hesitation in a Lara vs Tendulkar debate, bur Lara decisively because of his value in the slips

centurymaker

International Captain
Generally speaking, it's ******** to constantly talk about players who stopped playing ages ago.

Past doesn't exist nor is it revelant anymore.

basically tired of lara v tendulkar, mcgrath v marshall, murali v warne... It's all done and dusted. Their time was up long ago, time to move on.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Generally speaking, it's ******** to constantly talk about players who stopped playing ages ago.

basically tired of lara v tendulkar, mcgrath v marshall, murali v warne... It's all done and dusted. Their time was up long ago, time to move on.
Then simple. Don't read the threads.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara was an ATG/ Great slip fielder with superb hands and just a hair below the Taylor, Chappell, Hooper category.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

So why open a thread called "Lara v Tendulkar at fielding" ****? You know, it's pretty obvious what it's gonna be about.

uvelocity

International Coach
its like when you see a car broken down on a level crossing. you dont want to look, but you just can't stop yourself

centurymaker

International Captain
So why open a thread called "Lara v Tendulkar at fielding" ****? You know, it's pretty obvious what it's gonna be about.
So that a cricket nerd or two is maybe influenced to start a better discussion and not one that has been done to the core like a 1000 times (thats probably an under-estimate) as there's been a lack of good discussions of late.

OverratedSanity

So that a cricket nerd or two is maybe influenced to start a better discussion and not one that has been done to the core like a 1000 times (thats probably an under-estimate) as there's been a lack of good discussions of late.
So what if you have? You've been here a while, some haven't. I haven't discussed it... This seriously pisses me off about Cricket chat

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Despite being among the very best of the ...er ...very best - neither COMPLETELY changed the world in the field. Not like Taylor, Waugh, Dravid, or Kallis IMO.

Was this due to a "I'm so good at batting, why should I care" vibe? And who was better?
lol that's pretty low. both were more than decent fielders. Sachin was well above-average for an Indian fielder of his time (which in one sense isn't saying anything and in another says a lot). Lara, as has been pointed out, was a good slipper. Just because they weren't the greatest fielders of all time, doesn't mean they were a bunch of bums. They were very professional in the field. Why is it a must that you be ATG both with the bat and in the field? Totally different skills.

Think about this though too, what if Tendulkar demanded to be in the slips to have more impact in the field? VVS Fatman would have then had to do a lot more ball chasing. Sometimes it's about getting the most out of all of your players, at the cost of showcasing one's individual abilities; the pieces have to fit and that can often mean hiding your fatties in the slips. A quick bit of youtube searching and you can find some excellent moments of Sachin and Lara in the field, far more than any goof-ups. They were good fielders who don't deserve derision

So many other players are guilty of "I'm so good at batting, why should I care" that it's absurd to pose this question for either player. Think of a certain paper tiger of bengal

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

lol that's pretty low. both were more than decent fielders. Sachin was well above-average for an Indian fielder of his time (which in one sense isn't saying anything and in another says a lot). Lara, as has been pointed out, was a good slipper. Just because they weren't the greatest fielders of all time, doesn't mean they were a bunch of bums. They were very professional in the field. Why is it a must that you be ATG both with the bat and in the field? Totally different skills.

Think about this though too, what if Tendulkar demanded to be in the slips to have more impact in the field? VVS Fatman would have then had to do a lot more ball chasing. Sometimes it's about getting the most out of all of your players, at the cost of showcasing one's individual abilities; the pieces have to fit and that can often mean hiding your fatties in the slips. A quick bit of youtube searching and you can find some excellent moments of Sachin and Lara in the field, far more than any goof-ups. They were good fielders who don't deserve derision

So many other players are guilty of "I'm so good at batting, why should I care" that it's absurd to pose this question for either player. Think of a certain paper tiger of bengal
Well said. Agree with all of that.
It's ridiculous to accuse either if them of being unprofessional when in the first ball of the world cup final Tendulkar threw himself across the turf to save a couple of runs like a youngster.
Has a rocket arm too

smash84

The Tiger King
Both were very safe fielders. Lara probably a little better in the slips. Tendulkar the better outfielder