• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cruel Cricket

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Atherton declaring on Hick's 98* in Adelaide

Trent Bridge 05 being Simon's Jones last Test

Scott Boswell

...add more at your will

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Tragic stuff. From being on the brink of being a possible England legend, to completely finished in a second.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Tendulkar making 136 with a back injury against Pakistan in Chennai and the other idiots losing the game for India with very few runs to get.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stuart Law getting just one match, doing well in that and never getting picked up again.
An excellent example - made all the more cruel by dint of the fact that either Law or the other batsman making his debut in that game was going to have to give way in the next Test when Steve Waugh returned from injury - the other bloke got 96, but it should have been a duck, as he was dropped before he had scored - if that one had been held and Punter got a blob, what might Stuey have achieved then?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
An excellent example - made all the more cruel by dint of the fact that either Law or the other batsman making his debut in that game was going to have to give way in the next Test when Steve Waugh returned from injury - the other bloke got 96, but it should have been a duck, as he was dropped before he had scored - if that one had been held and Punter got a blob, what might Stuey have achieved then?
No idea whether Law would have gotten another Test had Ponting failed but I think it's fair to say, of the two guys, Law would have made way for Waugh regardless. Ponting was earmarked early, Law was the fill-in.

On topic, Australia losing to the WI in '92 at Adelaide was cruel because everyone knew what was coming in Perth.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Hick had himself to blame for that 98*. You can see in my vid that he barely made an effort to score near the end.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
haha, I'm now seeing the motivation behind Rob's uploading of cricket vids - to shut up anyone who makes a dodgy claim. :thumbsup:

On Law - I know there are many who reckon he was hard done by but, tbh, he really only became a run-scoring machine after he'd done his dash for the international side. Had he kicked on in his early 20's like he did in his early 30's, could have been anything but for a long time there, was one of those guys who'd get to 30-40, look safe then play some airy shot. Lacked hunger for big tons. Sad, really, because genuinely had an all-wicket game; you didn't score runs on the 90's 'Gabba strips without knowing how to play the moving ball.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
100 is just an arbitary landmark.

98* is as good as a 100*
True but the history books look better, what if the Don had one more run to get 3 triple centuries, it would look better, or if Lara had declared on 399*, still amazing but the first to ever get to the 400 mark in a test, amazing, just utterly blows the mind. For Hick he payed the price for being too slow for what Athers and England needed.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
100 is just an arbitary landmark.

98* is as good as a 100*
Yeah in a way it is. But Hick was a player especially low on confidence, and one whom the unruly mob* had successfully targetted and with some serious GBH of the earhole. A century, to him. would have been big.

But I also accept that he was playing like a bit of a wet flannel whilst on 98, as proven in the linked video above.

* sorry, I like Australia and Australians, but I get all Jardine when Ashes season approaches.