• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cruel Cricket

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
This. I read an article posted somewhere else here about Boswell, in the Guardian. Absolutely harrowing, albeit captivating reading for a (happily) ex-bowler.
Yeah I read it. It was excellent, and underlines how cruel a sport cricket can be.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've seen highlights of that game :happy: At 414/6, NZ would have been favourites, surely.
It seemed to me, an impressionable 13 year old, that they suddenly realised the enormity of what they might achieve and bottled it - I was supremely confident that Bruce Taylor, who all the commentators talked up as a man to rush them over the line, would do the business, but even he had a "rabbit in the headlights" look about him

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This. I read an article posted somewhere else here about Boswell, in the Guardian. Absolutely harrowing, albeit captivating reading for a (happily) ex-bowler.
'It took 10 years to recover': the story of Scott Boswell and the yips | The Spin | Sport | The Guardian

Articles like this actually make me quite angry. Worst bit;

Leicestershire lost. "We were playing Gloucestershire on the Monday after the final. Nobody spoke to me, I just wasn't playing, that was it. I wasn't told." Only one close friend, the former England bowler Jimmy Ormond, tried to talk to him. "People would just walk past me. But Jimmy took me out for a pint and he just said: 'What the hell happened there?' He was the only person who confronted me, the only person who I talked to about it.
Ormond aside, and I know this is just Boswell's perspective but it really does suck how bad cricket sides are at dealing with when one of their spearheads has a bad day, let alone gets the yips to degrees like this. Anyone who's played cricket at any level has been in that situation where the **** with the bat in his hand "looked as though he was 50 yards away. He was like a tiny dot. I just couldn't see him." yet what did his team do? A bunch of professionals just pretended he didn't exist. Even after bowling first, they sat in a changeroom with him for hours and apparently noone thought to help him out.

The sport isn't cruel, his bloody teammates and hierarchy were and I wish people would call **** like this out more often.

EDIT: I do hasten to add that he wouldn't have been in the mood for an on-field D&M, given. Also an interesting coincidence the bloke he was bowling to for that over.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
His name escapes me for a moment, but there was one England player (IIRC a Glamorgan batsman, so I'll say a Jones, maybe...) who was awarded a test cap when he appeared for us in those "tests" versus the ROTW XI, which subsequently lost their gold standard status, & he never again featured outside of that series.

The way the MCC behaved towards Lol after the 32/33 tour definitely fits too. A noble, decent and proud man was treated as an indentured servant.

&, obviously, Archie Jackson's truncated career is cruel in a way that's above and beyond cricket.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His name escapes me for a moment, but there was one England player (IIRC a Glamorgan batsman, so I'll say a Jones, maybe...) who was awarded a test cap when he appeared for us in those "tests" versus the ROTW XI, which subsequently lost their gold standard status, & he never again featured outside of that series.
Bit of a big target that one - 'twas Alan Jones - they even asked for the cap back - at least he had the decency to tell 'em to go shag a sheep

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It seemed to me, an impressionable 13 year old, that they suddenly realised the enormity of what they might achieve and bottled it - I was supremely confident that Bruce Taylor, who all the commentators talked up as a man to rush them over the line, would do the business, but even he had a "rabbit in the headlights" look about him
As an equally impressionable 13 year old, I thought they'd make it from 400 for 5, but the wicket of the late Ken Wadsworth was vital.

Great match.