• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

most talented young player!

george

Cricket Spectator
The person who spoke about the most exciting youngster,left out htis name JP Duminy from Western Province, i believe he will exceed the talent and skill of gibbs or even a sachin tendulkar.Give him another two years,when he turns twenty he will be a candidate for the sa team.

PY

International Coach
Rikki Clarke of course ;)

If the over-zealous Australian fans are true to form, expect Michael J Clarke to feature highly :P:P

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Jimmy Anderson, serious talent.

Another one worthy of mention, Ian Bell, a very fine young player, he's got to kick on soon.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Clarke (Michael :P ) , perhaps not as good as some of us Aussies would have you beleive but he's a serious talent & should crack the test team by 2005.

Ian Bell is very talented , had a superb 2001 but has done little since in FC cricket (although his OD form has been good , I was suprised he wasnt in the ODI squads for Bangladesh & Sri Lanka).

Patel has a huge future in the game , Marlon Samuels has more talent in his little finger than most do in their entire bodies , if he improved his attitude a bit & stopped getting out to lazy shots I reckon he could make a very good batsman.

2 young Bangladeshis I was very impressed with , Mushrafe Bin Mortaza & Hannan Sarker , Mushrafe is pretty accurate & can get it in the 140's when he wants to , Hannan is a compact opener & his shot selection has looked excellent to me so far.

Tatenda Taibu & Travis Friend also got lots of ability , a few other young Australian's to look out for with in next 5 years would be Shaun Marsh , Mark Cosgrove , Mitchell Johnson , Xavier Doherty , Marcus North , Luke Ronchi & Cam White , Shane Watson & Shaun Tait , who have all represented Australia A or Australia.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
David, Im going to throw another into that young aussie list, John Taylor, the Victorian who plays for WA, haha. From what Ive seen (he hasnt played a whole lot) he looks pretty darn good. Hes not selection material, but I reckon hell get there.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
iamdavid said:
Clarke (Michael :P ) , perhaps not as good as some of us Aussies would have you beleive but he's a serious talent & should crack the test team by 2005.
What are you saying here... we EXAGGERATE??!:O Never.
Im going along to watch him captain on Thursday, perhaps I should make a sign in Geds honour: THE MCAS LOVES YA MATEY:saint:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Linda said:
David, Im going to throw another into that young aussie list, John Taylor, the Victorian who plays for WA, haha. From what Ive seen (he hasnt played a whole lot) he looks pretty darn good. Hes not selection material, but I reckon hell get there.
I dont rate him much , he's got some decent pace , but he's more a hit the deck sort of bowler , dosent really move the ball at all & he's pretty accurate but not enough to grab the selectors attention.
If he improves his seam position & starts to move it around then maybe.
But until then he'll be a decent Pura Cup bowler but no more.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
iamdavid said:
2005 now?

I thought he was so good he should be playing now - glad to see someone showing a bit of sense and not over-rating him!

iamdavid

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
2005 now?

I thought he was so good he should be playing now
That is Ged talking.

He's got the talent & all the shots , but realistically he needs another year of so at Pura Cup level , he can be a bit impatient ATM , if you can tie him down for 20 minutes then you can be sure he'll do something stupid.
Really Love , Lehmann & possibly even Hodge & Hussey are ahead of him in the race for test honours , so I'd expect him to come into things around 2005 , in the mean time he'll become a fixture in the ODI XI , he's got all the makings of a great ODI player , and with a little time I dont see why he cant do well at test level to.

Bazza

International 12th Man
So who will replace Steve Waugh in the side in Sri Lanka? I thought Clarke was a banker to get a chance? Will they take Love?

I'm pretty excited about Hampshire having signed Warne and Clarke for this season.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
george said:
The person who spoke about the most exciting youngster,left out htis name JP Duminy from Western Province, i believe he will exceed the talent and skill of gibbs or even a sachin tendulkar.Give him another two years,when he turns twenty he will be a candidate for the sa team.
Looked for JP Duminy's stats on Cricinfo... came up with Jacobus Petrus Duminy, who also played for Western Province and died 23 years ago... wasn't until later that I found Jean-Paul Duminy's profile. He hasn't played many FC or List A limited overs matches, but already has a hugely impressive record, FC avg. of 70, List A avg. of 58 and he can bowl a bit... even if his averages are a bit inflated at this stage, I can't wait to see him in an international arena.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Ian Bell, Kabir Ali, James Anderson, Kevin Peiterson, Will Jefferson (OK, little Essex biased:P ), Michael Clarke, Cameron White, Sarandeep Singh, Danish Kaneria, Charitha Bandara.

Those are my picks for the future.

iamdavid

International Debutant
halsey said:
Will Jefferson (OK, little Essex biased:P )
Nah I agree , certainly plays the straight batted shots as well as anyone , tends to stand out a bit though , being all but 7 foot & built like a match-stick.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I know he's only 24 but he's only had two alright seasons so far. I wouldn't get too excited about him personally. Kevin Pieterson would be good though. Maybe he will replace Hussain or Thorpe in the middle order in about a years time, his bowling could come in handy too.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Clarke, Bird and Cosgrove are the talents to watch from Australia.

I don't rate White's bowling all that highly -- although he may have a ODi future with Australi as a hard hitting allrounder.

Patel and Pathan at 18 and 19 have both got promising futures for India.
Robin Uthappa is perhaps the next Indian batsman to watch out for -- people in Karnataka have compared him to Gundappa Vishwanath.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I hope this South African fellow Duminy keeps up the work.
And I hope if he does he doesn't get chucked into international cricket after just one decent season.

anzac

International Debutant
Bazza said:
So who will replace Steve Waugh in the side in Sri Lanka? I thought Clarke was a banker to get a chance? Will they take Love?

current selections would tend to favour Katich, although Love has previous selection as well. Hussey could be an outsider....