• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muttiah Muralitharan vs Sachin Tendulkar

The better cricketer

• Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Muttaih Muralitharan

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • Would rank them equally

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
So who has been the better cricketer over the course of their careers? SRT the highest run scorer in ODIs and Tests. Murali the highest wicket taker in tests and ODIs. We will be talking test matches here so who has been the better cricketer over the course of their careers. Both of them top 3 cricketers from the SC. I have been accused of having a pro-bowler bias (as in like the Ian Chappell school of thought) but I feel this is mighty close and would be interested in your comments and votes

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Voted Tendulkar without hesitating because of the timing of the thread. Needs a long post to properly explain why I would have voted for him anyway. Maybe later

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
How are we meant to compare an off spinner to a middle order batsman?

- Both are arguably their own nation's greatest player.
- Both are arguably the greatest at their facet of the game (although I'd argue that neither are).
- Both leave an incredible legacy.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I believe that it's implied that Imran is first.

Tough question to answer, but will go with Sachin, dominated the world over and two of the greatest bowlers to play the game. So head to head, Sachin held the advantage and so will go with him here.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah, Murali is unarguably the greatest cricketer to come from SL, while Sachin has reasonable competition from Gavaskar

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Tendulkar's got my vote there. More people would know him the world over for his exploits as well. Yet I think Murali is such a good genuine guy, I wish he was a bigger ambassador. Obviously SRT is a good bloke too, but too cop so much flack for his action etc. (I won't deny I'm one who says about his action being dodgy) he just holds his head up high and is an absolute champion for the game, in that regard.

Red

Imran is the greatest cricketer to come from the subcontinent. There's no doubting that for me.

If I forget Murali's action, I view him as a very effective spin bowler. In the modern era he was only rivalled by Warne as a spinner and in the whole of cricket history he sits in the top echelon of spinners. Sachin is a true great as well, but I think there are plenty of middle order batsmen who have been as good as him throughout cricket history, and even in the modern era.

I would rank Tendulkar as India's third greatest cricketer of all time (after Kapil and Gavaskar). I think Murali is clearly SL's greatest cricketer of all time, but SL haven't produced many to challenge him in their shorter history. Tendulkar has an amazingly consistent record against all opponents in all conditions, whereas Murali's is a bit more patchy. It can also be argued Murali has cashed in against weaker test nations, and his record clearly shows this fact.

akilana

International 12th Man
Most great players cash in against weaker nations and McGrath, Warne, Tendulkar and Murali are no different.

Red

Most great players cash in against weaker nations and McGrath, Warne, Tendulkar and Murali are no different.
Maybe I could've been clearer. Obviously good players will cash in against weak opponents.

But Murali played a disproportionate amount of tests against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe (25 tests in total against the two weakest teams in his era). In comparison, Warne played a total of 3 tests against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. That significant.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe I could've been clearer. Obviously good players will cash in against weak opponents.

But Murali played a disproportionate amount of tests against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe (25 tests in total against the two weakest teams in his era). In comparison, Warne played a total of 3 tests against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. That significant.
England = Bangladesh and Zimbabwe when it comes to playing spin during that period. Murali's record against England is devastating!! Wonder what would have happened had he played them more :)

smash84

The Tiger King
Even if you remove the records against the Minnows Murali's record is impressive enough to put him in the top tier of bowlers