13 35.14%
  • Muttaih Muralitharan

22 59.46%
  • Would rank them equally

2 5.41%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Muttiah Muralitharan vs Sachin Tendulkar

Imran is the greatest cricketer to come from the subcontinent. There's no doubting that for me.

If I forget Murali's action, I view him as a very effective spin bowler. In the modern era he was only rivalled by Warne as a spinner and in the whole of cricket history he sits in the top echelon of spinners. Sachin is a true great as well, but I think there are plenty of middle order batsmen who have been as good as him throughout cricket history, and even in the modern era.

I would rank Tendulkar as India's third greatest cricketer of all time (after Kapil and Gavaskar). I think Murali is clearly SL's greatest cricketer of all time, but SL haven't produced many to challenge him in their shorter history. Tendulkar has an amazingly consistent record against all opponents in all conditions, whereas Murali's is a bit more patchy. It can also be argued Murali has cashed in against weaker test nations, and his record clearly shows this fact.

Most great players cash in against weaker nations and McGrath, Warne, Tendulkar and Murali are no different.

Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    Most great players cash in against weaker nations and McGrath, Warne, Tendulkar and Murali are no different.
    Maybe I could've been clearer. Obviously good players will cash in against weak opponents.

But Murali played a disproportionate amount of tests against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe (25 tests in total against the two weakest teams in his era). In comparison, Warne played a total of 3 tests against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. That significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Maybe I could've been clearer. Obviously good players will cash in against weak opponents.

But Murali played a disproportionate amount of tests against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe (25 tests in total against the two weakest teams in his era). In comparison, Warne played a total of 3 tests against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. That significant.
    England = Bangladesh and Zimbabwe when it comes to playing spin during that period. Murali's record against England is devastating!! Wonder what would have happened had he played them more

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Even if you remove the records against the Minnows Murali's record is impressive enough to put him in the top tier of bowlers
    centurymaker likes this.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

But Tendy's remarkable aspect is his consistency spread over 24 years. Is there any other great player who has played for 24 years?

harsh does have a very valid point there. England were quite minnowish in the 90s

International Debutant OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Voted Tendulkar because I find the fact that he, at some point did well against virtually every great bowler he faced during his career. Name any great 90s era bowler, odds on he scored atleast one good hundred against them. He's the most versatile player I've seen.He was capable of tearing into the attack and go on a burst of quick scoring. 155 against Warne and the hundred against SA at Bloemfentein also incidentally 155, (in which he scored 8 fours in 15 balls IIRC at one point). He could also buckle down like Gavaskar and Dravid in tough situations and see out the best bowlers. Pacy, seaming, swinging, spinning conditions, he's done well across all possible conditions. That's the reason I'd pit him slightly above Murali, the fact that he was never consistently found out by any opponent he faced ( bar Anderson ). Murali did have his problems against Australia, Lara, Sehwag, Sidhu, Azharuddin and indeed, Tendulkar himself. Then of course there's the longevity. He spans era like ko other cricketer and apart from a few bad years at the end, which happens to everyone, he played at a world class level in a manner that was exciting, beautiful and virtually flawless in terms of aesthetics for 20+ years

Personally think he's the best Indian cricketer and batsman ahead of Gavaskar and Dravid by a considerable distance. That would probably be a better topic to discuss right now... Greatest indian batsman/cricketer
    smalishah84 and kyear2 like this.
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    It is always very easy to criticize or pass some negative judgments on players, especially great players.
    harsh.ag likes this.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    It is always very easy to criticize or pass some negative judgments on players, especially great players.
    Whole point of Cricket Chat, really
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 13-10-2013 at 03:04 AM.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    My post wasn't aimed at you at all. Just saying in general.

I was kidding... It's sad that most threads seem to devolve into fabricating faults in achievements of great players, and passing off personal opinion as facts instead of balanced discussions

Minor digression: When will we next see the leading Test wicket taker bowl to the leading Test run scorer?

Will we ever?
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I'm astounded that some people consider Gavaskar superior to Tendulkar
    harsh.ag and kyear2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I'm astounded that some people consider Gavaskar superior to Tendulkar
    Me too tbh. And I rate Gavaskar quite high

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information