• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The batting forum

rodzzz

Cricket Spectator
Cricket Australia is reportedly holding a "batting forum" to explore ways to improve Australia's batting performance. Desperate times indeed. What do you think they should discuss?

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They should put this on repeat, "Unless you are as talented as Ponting, DO NOT plant your left leg in front of your stumps early on. Unless you are as talented as Tendulkar, DO NOT flirt with away swinging deliveries early on. Imagine that you are from the same cricketing heritage as Mark Waugh, and learn to love the leg side."

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
3 major points need to be addressed:

- SS pitches need to start preparing players for test cricket rather than simply getting Tasmania and QLD into the final over and over.
- The future's league should be abolished to make way for proper second XI cricket.
- 5 day shield games to encourage batting time or a revised points system to reward batting milestones and good bowling efforts rather than simply results

I think this is being discussed but action must be taken as well

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
From the above Deano article I found this pretty interesting but I guess he would know since I believe he made a double ton once in India.

I think to get a better indication, I would like to see ticks and crosses for batsman against spin and another against pace because I believe it would be slightly different. It seems a bit bizarre that all of them are good on the back foot.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Warner has excellent defense IMO.

I actually think Clarke's defense is a bit iffy, but it doesn't need to be great because his shot making is so good and he comes in after the ball has stopped doing too much, generally.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From the above Deano article I found this pretty interesting but I guess he would know since I believe he made a double ton once in India.

I think to get a better indication, I would like to see ticks and crosses for batsman against spin and another against pace because I believe it would be slightly different. It seems a bit bizarre that all of them are good on the back foot.
Not when you grow up in Australia, though the number of times Hughes nicked off vs NZ a couple of years back playing from the back dog means he's either improved a lot in that aspect of his game or Deano was rubbing one out thinking about Madras and not watching the series.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hendrix When in form I agree but Warner even admitted during his commentary stints in our domestic comp that he has been stuck at the crease a bit so I don't mind so much that he gets a cross beside his name for the forward defensive currently.

Re: Clarke he ticks all boxes against spin quite comfortably but I tend to agree his forward defense could be considered questionable.

Against spin I would be a big cross beside Khawaja and Hughes at backfoot defence (Hughes against pace too) and Rogers would be questionable on the front foot.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not when you grow up in Australia, though the number of times Hughes nicked off vs NZ a couple of years back playing from the back dog means he's either improved a lot in that aspect of his game or Deano was rubbing one out thinking about Madras and not watching the series.
Thinking about Madras the more likely situation as Hughes hasn't improved squat in Test matches given his fragile nature. It would be interesting to see who would make people's 10 man batting units to go with the 8 man bowling one.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Thinking about Madras the more likely situation as Hughes hasn't improved squat in Test matches given his fragile nature. It would be interesting to see who would make people's 10 man batting units to go with the 8 man bowling one.
No it wouldn't but I'll give it a try anyway, ****

1. Clarke, Michael
2. Rogers, Chris
3. Smith, Steve
4. Watson, Shane
5. Bailey, George
6. Warner, David
7. Maddinson, Nic
8. Wade, Matthew
9. Voges, Adam
10. Doolan, Alex

I have decided to not include any of the batsman who I believe have mental hurdles to overcome before playing against England again. That means no to Hughes and Khawaja. The order I listed is not in any exact order and the last place in the end was between Klinger and Voges.

EDIT - Forgot Warner

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Judging by the article it means:

* For free live scores and predictions from Prof. Deano, download the free app from profdeano.com or from iTunes.

Read more: The case for the defence

Haha - but no idea, perhaps against spin he thinks its questionable but against pace it is a tick, I don't know.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What I saw of Hughes against spin last night was very promising. Looks like he has been working on playing spin. Yeah he got out to it but that was more shot selection and a little (very small) bit of bad luck.

He actually used his feet and came forward to the ball against the off spinner looking to spin the ball away from him, which is something I haven't seen him do before that point.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I definitely think that he finds it easier to face spin with one day fields. You mentioned shot selection, when the field is in and the spinner is bowling well his shot selection especially early on is frequently an issue.