• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar to retire

smash84

The Tiger King
that Chennai 99 was such an awesome innings..........more painful to him would be the fact that the rest of the tail just folded within 3 runs or so

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I am a huge Sachin fan but still have this question. We all know Sachin has a penchant for records though he denies to the outside world that he cares for records. So what if he gets injured in the first test? Will he still retire? Or will he play the SA series to complete 200 tests? Or will BCCI arrange another series at home cancelling the SA series if Sachin recovers soon?

I do believe he will still retire but was just thinking about this hypothetical scenario.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As I have seen, the records he seems to be passionate about are winning trophies, and scoring centuries. Hard to believe he was playing for the 200th test mark this whole time, although stranger things have been done by greater minds.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I am a huge Sachin fan but still have this question. We all know Sachin has a penchant for records though he denies to the outside world that he cares for records. So what if he gets injured in the first test? Will he still retire? Or will he play the SA series to complete 200 tests? Or will BCCI arrange another series at home cancelling the SA series if Sachin recovers soon?

I do believe he will still retire but was just thinking about this hypothetical scenario.
They'd just play him with an injury.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
? Rohit has an outstanding FC record and has deserved a call to the test squad for a while now. Idk how you define meaningful, but if you mean an improvement over the current version of Sachin, I'd say yes. Rohit's biggest bugaboo is scoreboard pressure, something he won't be facing in a test match. Now if you're saying that he won't even get half as many centuries as Sachin and won't enjoy nearly as much success, then sure. But then I'm not sure what point you're making
Whenever it comes to Rohit Sharma, I always found it interested how people think someone who is unable to handle 'scoreboard pressure' of limited overs cricket is suitable to handle all the infinitely more difficult situations of test cricket.

harsh.ag

Mukul Kesavan on Tendulkar's retirement | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Good article. I'm glad that there is some balanced reporting on cricinfo in amongst the endless stream of fanboy articles and emotive pieces. Headlines such as, "Dravid: He would have listened to his heart" were making me vomit.
Yeah, because fanboy articles are only appropriate for black and white (I mean the TV setting) legends such as George Headley, Sydney Barnes et al. Try and find one coloumn of criticism against them, and Google will accept defeat.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm glad Cricinfo did this. Probably just did it for the huts as I'm sure it'll kick of a veritable ****storm in cricinfo's Sachin fanclub. But I think this was necessary... His career can be celebrated when he actually retires... Right now the timing of his retirement can and SHOULD be questioned. In my opinion, he certainly didn't time it right and has done no favours to our team or international cricket in general

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Smali, I am saying it's just so easy to write things like that. There is a reason ex-teammates and other sporting legends do not criticize their fellow sportsmen on these lines. It is a very difficult thing to do, recognizing that you may not be the genius you once were. It does not diminish Sachin's legacy. Which name springs to mind when asked about the greatest boxer of all time? - Ali. Even though he made his horrendous comeback against Holmes, in a match where the tragedy seemed to be that he still thought he was "Ali". Which name springs to mind when asked about the greatest F1 racer of all time? - Schumacher. Despite his horrid second wind recently. It is not a balanced article. Just as Mr Kesavan wrongly assesses Sachin's last 2 years to be that of an accountant's years, his article is that of an accountant, only registering the numbers that Sachin went through the last two years, not the turmoil and self-doubt. As I said, it is so easy...

smash84

The Tiger King
Smali, I am saying it's just so easy to write things like that. There is a reason ex-teammates and other sporting legends do not criticize their fellow sportsmen on these lines. It is a very difficult thing to do, recognizing that you may not be the genius you once were. It does not diminish Sachin's legacy. Which name springs to mind when asked about the greatest boxer of all time? - Ali. Even though he made his horrendous comeback against Holmes, in a match where the tragedy seemed to be that he still thought he was "Ali". Which name springs to mind when asked about the greatest F1 racer of all time? - Schumacher. Despite his horrid second wind recently. It is not a balanced article. Just as Mr Kesavan wrongly assesses Sachin's last 2 years to be that of an accountant's years, his article is that of an accountant, only registering the numbers that Sachin went through the last two years, not the turmoil and self-doubt. As I said, it is so easy...
I agree with some of what you have to say however there is a difference between a return to the game and lingering on and on when you should already retire. If Sachin had retired by let's say 2011 and then come back for a year in 2013, it probably would not have mattered as much as fading away in the last 2 years.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its times like this I really wish Sachin just played on til he was 50 or something. And then when asked why he isn't retiring he just answered "oh I like playing cricket".

smash84

The Tiger King
FFS. I hate indian mobile networks. "Oh you made a typing error, ok ill post it immediately but you won't be able to edit until someone notices"
And who Dafuq is Dhonisgland
lol....he was an irritating poster (i think a multi of some other poster) who got banned

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unfair comparison with Ali and Schumacher. Cricket's a team sport, boxing is individual and motorsport is ****ing ****.
Anyway the article wasn't just critical of Tendulkar for his lack of output of runs, it's what the timing of his retirement has caused, which is a shortened itinerary for a series which everyone wanted to see and world cricket needed as well as him causing other batting talents not having an opportunity to settle into the side. Instead Rahane/Rohit will be thrown to the wolves in South Africa in their debut series.
And I cbf with Tendulkar's turmoil and doubt... Point is that he should put that aside when deciding when to retire. Did Lara or Dravid not go through the same turmoil Tendulkar is? They still timed it better than he has

Last edited: