• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar to retire

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, that's a myth IMO. He wasn't great in Enland and Australia, but he was better then than he was playing both those nations at home, after the 100th ton.
You misunderstood.

if he had got his 100th ton out of the way when he was still in great nick then you would've expected him to do better in Eng, Aus, etc (he may have converted more of his 50s perhaps). But since he didn't, the pressure mounted and he went out of form and never recovered... And I feel the 2nd biggest mistake he made was to skip the WI tour after the WC.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
This was pretty obvious from a mile away. Even during the India-Australia test series, there were whispers of India slotting in a two test series before the SA tour. (Wait a sec...that would be Tendy's 200th!). He was on his last legs in the previous two home series. It was ok to keep him for the Australia series because everyone else stunk too and Sachin is entitled to a longer rope than most. After an ordinary Aus series, it was crystal clear that he was done. He didn't deserve to tour SA and I'm glad he's not.

I'm not fond of record-chasing and I find stats like # of centuries or # of match-winning centuries to be meaningless. But if there's a stat to chase, 200 tests is pretty cool. Can't see anyone ever coming close to it.

Would I have been happier if Sachin called it a day earlier? Yes. Do I think it's atrocious that he only retired now, on this manufactured farewell series? Not really. I was really worried about him and India being embarrassed in South Africa. I'm less worried about that now. Rohit Sharma or Ajinkya Rahane should acquit themselves well and even if they don't, it'll be a great learning experience for either of them.

I started to follow cricket really closely in 1999 during the World Cup. There are only three guys who remain from that tournament now: Kallis, Chanders, Mahela. Wow.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This was pretty obvious from a mile away. Even during the India-Australia test series, there were whispers of India slotting in a two test series before the SA tour. (Wait a sec...that would be Tendy's 200th!). He was on his last legs in the previous two home series. It was ok to keep him for the Australia series because everyone else stunk too and Sachin is entitled to a longer rope than most. After an ordinary Aus series, it was crystal clear that he was done. He didn't deserve to tour SA and I'm glad he's not.
Was it only me who thought that he looked quite fantastic in Australia, until he got out that is? He looked the best of the Indian bats, and looked the most comfortable, again, until he unceremoniously, and often against the run of play, got out.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Was it only me who thought that he looked quite fantastic in Australia, until he got out that is? He looked the best of the Indian bats, and looked the most comfortable, again, until he unceremoniously, and often against the run of play, got out.
I was referring to the home series. He was the second best Indian batsman in Australia...which isn't saying a whole lot but it meant that other guys needed to go first before Tendulkar was going to deserve the axe

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was brilliant in Melbourne... That innings had some sensational shots and he seriously looked like he was batting with a door.... He seemed to really enjoy that innings. Played very well in Sydney as well. H just got some good balls and got out in weird ways (chopping a wide half volley onto the stumps ffs). After that though, he seemed to go into his shell in the last two matches and was poor like everyone else bar Kohli.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with Spark, Tendulkar was their best bat until the Perth test, where Kohli took over and Sachin regressed

Burgey

Loling at those looking for Rohit Sharma to replace Tendulkar in any meaningful sense in tests.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Loling at those looking for Rohit Sharma to replace Tendulkar in any meaningful sense in tests.
? Rohit has an outstanding FC record and has deserved a call to the test squad for a while now. Idk how you define meaningful, but if you mean an improvement over the current version of Sachin, I'd say yes. Rohit's biggest bugaboo is scoreboard pressure, something he won't be facing in a test match. Now if you're saying that he won't even get half as many centuries as Sachin and won't enjoy nearly as much success, then sure. But then I'm not sure what point you're making

harsh.ag

Agreed. Rohit would be a fine replacement. But so would Rahane. I wouldn't like to be the one making the choice.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Come on. Sharma is terrible.
Which is why he averages nearly 60 in Ranji?

He has always had a mediocre record in domestic List A and should've probably been dropped from the ODI squad long ago, but he has held his own as an opener when all other Indian batsmen aside from Dhawan have failed (Vijay, Gambhir, Sehwag, Rahane). It's pretty obvious that Rohit isn't that composed and patient when chasing. He's always trying to play a shot that's not there to be played. At least as an opener, he's insulated from some of that pressure.

But it's not his fault if his opportunities are in the wrong format.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

I too feel that Rahane perhaps would be a better choice. To be honest, however ludicrous it may sound, I prefer Rohit in the team over both Dhawan and Murali Vijay.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd pick both Rohit and Rahane, and just dump Jadeja.
Yes, Jadeja should only be a horses for courses selection in tests, chosen to play in pitches that will aid playing 3 spinners..Rest of the matches should have both Rahane and Rohit..but with Kohli at 4 and them playing after Kohli..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, Jadeja should only be a horses for courses selection in tests, chosen to play in pitches that will aid playing 3 spinners..Rest of the matches should have both Rahane and Rohit..but with Kohli at 4 and them playing after Kohli..
I'd be looking to play Jadeja whenever I wanted to play two spinners, even if he ended up at 8. Has more value than Ojha, Harbhajan or Mishra IMO.

harsh.ag

I was constructing an alternate reality where Tendulkar had not departed in the 96 wc semi, and India had gone on to become champions. He would have been a much happier man for all those years..

OverratedSanity

Chennai 99 more tragic imo...

Just saw an interview of his with Arnab Goswami from about a year back where he was asked to name a few moments from his career. He named the 96 semifinal, the 2003 final, 2007 world cup, and finally the Chennai test. He seemed almost in tears just talking about it, quite depressing to watch :(