Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree235Likes

Thread: Sachin Tendulkar to retire

Chanderpaul debuted before Kallis.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Should have retired ages ago. Playing on to reach 200 tests seems like a bit of a vanity project to me.
    marc71178 likes this.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    According to my arithmetic in order to retire averaging 99.95, and therefore be better than you know who, Sachin is going to need to score, assuming he's not dismissed in either Test, 13,548 runs in a maximum of four visits to the crease

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Wow. This marks the end of an era. Probably the greatest player of the last 20 years. Always the prized wicket from amongst our arch enemies and enjoyed tremendous respect in Pakistan. Seems like such a long long time ago that Tendulkar came to Pakistan to mark his debut. I feel priveleged to have seen him then. Viv still hadn't retired from cricket at that time and Imran was Pakistan's captain. The bowlers he has faced over the years. Donald, Pollock, Steyn, Wasim, Waqar, Imran, Shoaib, McGrath, Gillespie, Walsh, Ambrose, Bond, Warne, Murali, Saqlain, Ajmal, Swann. He battled all of them and (many many times) held his own. He has seen such great batsmen come and go as well. Allan Border, Javed Miandad, Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting, Inzamam, Hayden, Steve Waugh, Mark Waugh, Saeed Anwar, etc. I will never forget his 136 at Chennai against us and the 2003 world cup knock which I feel was a psychological turning point for India vs Pakistan matches (just as the Miandad last ball 6 was in 1986). Will go down in my books as perhaps the 2nd greatest cricketer to come from the sub-continent.

The 2nd last cricketer from the golden age of cricket (1970-2003 for me) to still be playing. For all the joy that you gave when you scored against others, and for the feeling of wanting to punch out your teeth when you scored against us, and for all the great memories that you gave us across such a wonderful career, Sachin Tendulkar, you sir, take a bow.
    harsh.ag likes this.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    According to my arithmetic in order to retire averaging 99.95, and therefore be better than you know who, Sachin is going to need to score, assuming he's not dismissed in either Test, 13,548 runs in a maximum of four visits to the crease
    Na... According to my calculations, applying fanboy logic, playing in around a 100 more grounds than Bradman means that Tendulkar's average apparently jumps to 175. Unfortunately applying the same formula to all modern cricketers means Kallis and Sangakkara sit atop the pile with averages of 180 and 181 respectively.
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    I was sitting in the stands at this game: 1st Test: New Zealand v India at Christchurch, Feb 2-5, 1990 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

It was Tendulkar's fifth test match and he was 16. I checked him out when he was fielding on the boundary right in front of me and couldn't help thinking he looked like a kid and out of place playing test cricket. Danny Morrison had him out first ball and I didn't think he would amount to much. I'm prepared to go on the record and say that, in hindsight, I may have been wrong.

He's a great cricketer and he will be missed.
    harsh.ag likes this.

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Will go down in my books as perhaps the 2nd greatest cricketer to come from the sub-continent.
    Behind Murali? That'd probably be where I'd put him too although it's close. Generally don't believe in the great bowlers automatically > great batsmen nonsense
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 10-10-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Well that's Jimmeh's projected wicket tally next summer halved.
    Adders, GuyFromLancs and The Sean like this.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    First you saw? Because there was another really short guy who opened the batting who did well against the likes of Lillee, Pascoe and Thomson. It's a case of the Apprentice becoming the Master though, as Sachin averaged 53 and Sunil 51.
    Loved the homage you wote just thought I'd slip that proviso in.
    If you're talking about gavaskar, do a series by series break down and see the attacks he excelled against here.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Behind Murali? That'd probably be where I'd put him too although it's close. Generally don't believe in the great bowlers automatically > great batsmen nonsense
    Do you not know Smali?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I'm 27. I don't remember cricket without him.
    ****. You've had a hard life
    Black_Warrior likes this.

Oh ****, I've just realised we'll be subjected to an Illiad-style tribute from the simpering Mike Coward now.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    It would be nice to have the #10 jersey retired along with him. Too much pressure on the guy who wears it next. Or it could perhaps provide inspiration to the next guy. Should be someone like Pujara or Kohli.

I have a feeling that Tendulkar's legacy is going to grow bigger than almost anybody else of his era. I don't know why it just feels like it today, but I just get a feeling that CW posters in 2090 will be talking about Tendulkar long after they have ceased talking about the others, with the exception, perhaps, of Warne. Or maybe this is just the high of the day.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    I have a feeling that Tendulkar's legacy is going to grow bigger than almost anybody else of his era. I don't know why it just feels like it today, but I just get a feeling that CW posters in 2090 will be talking about Tendulkar long after they have ceased talking about the others, with the exception, perhaps, of Warne. Or maybe this is just the high of the day.
    Nah - for the most part they'll still be obsessed with the question of who the latest Precam multi is
    BeeGee and Black_Warrior like this.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    It's an interesting question, regarding which cricketer from 1990 onwards will be remembered most in 50 years time.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information