• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar to retire

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Was fortunate to see his first scg innings and his last. Also saw his 200 there.

A great player. I think maybe the greatest I've seen, I dunno. He belongs in the argument anyway. He stood out like dogs balls here as a subcontinental batsman who dealt really well with the conditions. Others have done it well since but he really was the first..
First you saw? Because there was another really short guy who opened the batting who did well against the likes of Lillee, Pascoe and Thomson. It's a case of the Apprentice becoming the Master though, as Sachin averaged 53 and Sunil 51.
Loved the homage you wote just thought I'd slip that proviso in.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well, there we go. Fitting time, he wasn't the same player. Wonder what he'll do with his life now.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jump in the comm box with Gavaskar and tell the world how great India is and how everyone else cheats?
Would love it if he came out post-retirement and just tore shreds off everyone. Dude's been so mild mannered for 20-odd years, he must have a whole bunch of anger stored up somewhere.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We saw it coming, but I'm still shocked. He's been there for 25 years, it's hard to imagine Indian cricket without him.

Spikey

i'm 20 and i cant remember the last time sachin played a good innings #nailedit

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Would love it if he came out post-retirement and just tore shreds off everyone. Dude's been so mild mannered for 20-odd years, he must have a whole bunch of anger stored up somewhere.
Not everyone is angry at the world. Sachin was great that he rarely got angry. It's a bad situation that it's noticeable how well mannered he is as opposed to others. It should be the other way around. Notice people who are angry because they are different. India had such a great duo in the little master and Dravid. Both such great gentlemen of the game - generally. Every man has his breaking point. But even then it was only momentary. Lara and Chanderpaul are similar. Vettori gets a special nod for winning that spirit of cricket award as well in my books. I digress the point is Sachin has been more than just a one dimensional cricketer.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On the 1996 semi-final:

As it beautifully snowed outside while the cozy fireplace crackled in my room on a wonderful March evening at the gymkhana lodge in Darjeeling in the year 1996, my first memory of cricketing drama unfolded at the Eden Gardens. While I can never forget the sight of Vinod Kambli crying, and the spineless Eden crowd, the world cup semi brought a moment which would bring a semblance of profound clarity for me later in life.

The Indian run chase was going smoothly ahead, and the air was abuzz with excited expectations. And then, out of nowhere, Sachin Tendulkar was out stumped off Sanath Jayasuriya. Even to a young fellow's eyes, it was obvious the massive change that happened thereafter. Not only did the Indians unfold, even the fans deflated, the cheers got lower, and the Lankan bowlers seemed twice as menacing. As a child, seeing my elders deflate because of one man's dismissal seemed peculiarly strange.

For a while, then, I struggled to understand the phenomenon of Tendulkar. It was only in 1998 after the twin Sharjah centuries did I understand: When you can have Sachin win you matches in that classy style, why would you want victory any other way?

That is the essence of India's fascination with cricket and Tendulkar. The prospect of winning not through grinding stubbornness, but in style. That is the essence of the devotion of every sports fan when it comes to the superstar, the maverick who can turn it on, who revels in glory, who smirks in the face of adversity, and whose audacity knows no bounds. Why else would Warne be loved so much? Why else would Messi and Ronaldo be fighting like two crazed roman centurions in a fierce race for the biggest honor? Why else would Lara play those incredible shots and take just six months to snatch back his record from Hayden?

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
:(

I thought he was going to have one last crack @ SA / NZ / ENG / AUS before retiring. Just won't be the same without him =(

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I saw Jono's post on a 'Have Your Say' bit on the Beeb article about his retirement.

'Sachin a poor man's Virat Kohli'

Bad form Jono.

Still 51 centuries for the Yorkie #claiminghim

Teja.

Global Moderator
We won't have people getting the ****s over the commentators spending two minutes forty seconds narrating his batting records every time with their voices full of drool again now nor will have them annoyed about him spending a minute or so bending down pretending that a perfectly standard ball sunk low every time he gets bowled nor will people get annoyed anymore about how a guy who has pretty much every aggregate record in both forms of cricket is getting too much cricket news space.

A considerable part of my childhood was spent with Ten Sports shoving reruns of 90s Tendulkar centuries into my face along with other objects of Ms. Stratus, Sable and Wilson. WWE becoming PG13 and decrease in the reruns is what I will blame for the declining trajectory of my life and the Indian rupee.

I shall now proceed to have a few while watching some great SACHIN CHEATING 158* from Robelinda. The cricket saddo has the greatest life. :wub:

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

This would be gold. Would instantly make me love him even more if that was possible :laugh:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Other Test debutants from 1989 include Mike Atherton, Mark Taylor, Waqar Younis and Ian Bishop.

It was a while ago is what I'm saying here