Cricket Player Manager
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: Sachin Tendulkar to retire

International Vice-Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    It really does boggle my mind that Tendulkar started his career when Imran and Hadlee were still playing. Those guys just feel so ancient and mythical to me, having never seen them play...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Yeah, Imran played soooo long ago for Pakistan. Indeed that is the thing about Tendy. He seems to have been around for eternity.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Not too much is made of him as the guy who took on all the greats he met head on, and tried to dominate them. But he did try, and for a kid, that's something!
    I had seen Sachin vs Macko but hadn't seen him against Hadlee. Thanks for posting them here harsh. It is incredible that Sachin started off his career such a long time back and has maintained that level of excellence.
    harsh.ag likes this.

watching these videos here in the office brings back so many memories. Also the fact that I need to return to work soon but had to watch that 2 min footage of Imran vs Tendulkar.

Arguably the top 2 cricketers of the SC.

Imran

Tendulkar's career is something that perhaps the 90s kids do not completely comprehend, or can't completely comprehend. He started out in 1988 basically in terms of playing the highest class of players in India. Then the 89 Pak tour, and the Qadir thing, and the England tour and the 92 WC (which he played, and which, again, is never spoken about much, perhaps because he gave his wicket away on several occasions trying to get quick runs down the order). By the end of 92, he was considered by the 80 greats to be firmly a member of their times. All those who were in the same position as Sachin during that time (Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar, Walsh) were all gone by the early 2000s. That is why Tendulkar seems freaky to guys like Botham, Hadlee, Imran (and Marshall too had he been alive), and to the fans who grew up watching 80s cricket. To think this guy traversed across the T20 carnivals is just an amazing thought. To think he led Mumbai Indians to glory is just mind-boggling to the 90s brigade who, till now, see it as the "weird new thing" (because they never got to be a part of it), but Sachin lived it all for them, on their behalf, echoing the greats of the 80s and 90s when he was able to successfully integrate into the post-modern game. If he hadn't been there, I am sure a lot of us (at least me) would have felt that this thing (T20 and the new rules) was just going overboard. But by adapting himself, by his calm presence through all this, Sachin helped everyone ease into it because hey, there is this guy from our generation who seems to be having no problems with how things are going! I guess I am rambling a bit now, but he is more than a bridge. He is a big-ass toll highway.
    smalishah84, Cevno and L Trumper like this.

well said

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Tendulkar's career is something that perhaps the 90s kids do not completely comprehend, or can't completely comprehend. He started out in 1988 basically in terms of playing the highest class of players in India. Then the 89 Pak tour, and the Qadir thing, and the England tour and the 92 WC (which he played, and which, again, is never spoken about much, perhaps because he gave his wicket away on several occasions trying to get quick runs down the order). By the end of 92, he was considered by the 80 greats to be firmly a member of their times.
    Tendulkar's Test debut was November 15 1989. He was not considered a part of the 80s brigade. By the end of 92, he'd played more in the 90s than the 80s. Surely, he's done enough in his career to not have to go to these lengths.
    Last edited by Ikki; 18-11-2013 at 03:20 AM.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Tendulkar's Test debut was November 15 1989. He was not considered a part of the 80s brigade. By the end of 92, he'd played more in the 90s than the 80s. Surely, he's done enough in his career to not have to go to these lengths.
    I am not saying he was a 80s man. But the 80s men like Botham, Hadlee, Imran, Kapil, Marshall, Border were still around in 92, and they considered him a firm fixture of the international circuit. That's what I meant.

Yeah **** off Ikki.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    It really does boggle my mind that Tendulkar started his career when Imran and Hadlee were still playing. Those guys just feel so ancient and mythical to me, having never seen them play...
    I'm just old enough to remember Khan. He was enough to turn any man, I tell ya!!

(not me though, obviously)
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

Sachin Tendulkar being discussed on Q&A on ABC. Cop that Lara.

International Vice-Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Come on, it was pretty obvious what he meant was that those guys looked to Tendulkar as a formidable opponent and one of the prize scalps even as a teen. That's quite remarkable

Not too much is made of him as the guy who took on all the greats he met head on, and tried to dominate them. But he did try, and for a kid, that's something!
    Actually, a lot had been made of him facing the Pakistani attack as a 16-year old..

I had commented about the Ganguly-Laxman-Shastri show yesterday and have one more info from it in this regard.

This is what Ravi Shastri said about Sachin: When Shastri was playing with Sachin, Sachin being a short man, whenever he saw any tall fast bowler bowling at him, he will tell that he wanted to dominate the bowler. It affected his ego that a tall guy could dominate a short guy. So though Sachin never sledged, he did it in a subtle way. He will hit a cracking four and hold the pose a little longer to the tall fast bowlers to indicate to them who the boss was.

I still remember the edition of The Cricketer in Pakistan which came after the 1992 world cup. It featured a double page poster of Sachin Tendulkar in the 1992 WC gear. Was touted as a genius in that edition

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    I am not saying he was a 80s man. But the 80s men like Botham, Hadlee, Imran, Kapil, Marshall, Border were still around in 92, and they considered him a firm fixture of the international circuit. That's what I meant.
    You're back-tracking on your hyperbole.

"By the end of 92, he was considered by the 80 greats to be firmly a member of their times."

When Imran and the boys get together they're not reminiscing about Tendulkar since at most they played a series against him and he wasn't anywhere near their level. The same goes for Lara, whom you could say the same thing about if we simply looked at strict dates.

Do you really think the aforementioned cricketers, who were at the very end of their own careers and who may have played 3 Tests against him then looked at him as someone 'firmly from their time'? It's absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Come on, it was pretty obvious what he meant was that those guys looked to Tendulkar as a formidable opponent and one of the prize scalps even as a teen. That's quite remarkable
    Even on that level it's false. Tendulkar's claim to fame was that he debuted so young and was actually pretty decent. It was clear that eventually he'd be a star. But he was not a formidable opponent at that time. By the end of 92, when basically all those greats retired, Tendulkar averaged 37.41 and had at most played 1 series against them. That Shastri at the time was one of their leading scorers shows how weak that batting line-up was - and he was one of several batsmen averaging more.

None of this is meant to detract from the guy; he turned into something truly special. But let's not stretch it into nonsense.
    Last edited by Ikki; 18-11-2013 at 06:19 AM.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread Information