• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar to retire

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LOL. You have no idea then :P
Exactly, he was batting so well during that period, can't really imagine how gun he must've been at his peak. Ditto Ponting and Lara. Shame I got into cricket too late.

OverratedSanity

Can't say we couldn't anticipate this, but this still ****ing sucks. Been playing international cricket for longer than I've been alive. I didn't witness his best years but from what I saw from 2007 to 2011 made me wish I'd been born a decade earlier. What a man.

Applying for leave during the first test aws. :p

Tendulkar of the late 90s... My goodness how good was he? I don't intend to come off as a **** but watching Tendulkar bat during that period as an Indian fan was an otherworldly experience, and I do pity those who didn't get to see it... Much like me pitying myself for not being there to watch Viv in the 70s.
To me, his feats in the 90s cemented him as an undisputed great of the game and to think hrs carried on for more than a decade after that still remaining a valuable cog in our batting order shows how remarkable his career has been.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Last of the players remaining in International cricket who debuted in the 80's ?

And last of the true 90's great left too.

(There are others who debuted in the 90's but they excelled and became great in the naughties more.)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He started playing cricket when I was five. I'm 29 now. I literally don't ever remember cricket without him. It won't be the same.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I felt robbed at Ponting's exit. Near on distraught when Lara left. I hold Tendulkar below Lara and in a different way to Ponting. This is just really ****ed up news. It seems only yesterday the Wall left. Ffs, didn't he know I'm not ready for this right now! Fine, but I'm gonna miss him.
FTR as good a time as any, it was going to come soon.

flibbertyjibber

Wonderful player but gone on a bit too long. 200 tests is a huge moment though and doubt that will be done again. Hard to think my favourite knock of his was 17 years ago and he was already a long way into his career then. Thanks for the memories.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Tendulkar's retirement has just made India a more dangerous team - truth is he did jack all for the last couple of years blocking the path for talented young batsmen like Rahane, Rohit and Juneja. Interesting times ahead - the curtain is certainly come down on the '281 generation'.

OverratedSanity

I just hope he gets atleast a hundred in his last series... Doesn't matter if it's West Indies. Doesn't matter if it's a scratchy edgy no cover drive boring one... Just want one more.

Atleast one good thing came out of his not touring SA. He'll end up with a 40+ average against every nation and in every nation. Pretty awesome stat, that is

Tendulkar's retirement has just made India a more dangerous team - truth is he did jack all for the last couple of years blocking the path for talented young batsmen like Rahane, Rohit and Juneja. Interesting times ahead - the curtain is certainly come down on the '281 generation'.
Zidane=overrated :ph34r:

Burgey

Was fortunate to see his first scg innings and his last. Also saw his 200 there.

A great player. I think maybe the greatest I've seen, I dunno. He belongs in the argument anyway. He stood out like dogs balls here as a subcontinental batsman who dealt really well with the conditions. Others have done it well since but he really was the first.

A lot of people won't realise, because of the amount of touring India does now, that we missed lots of his best years here. India toured here in 91-92 iirc then didn't come back until 99-00. First time I really saw him dominate a series was the 98(?) series in India against Australia, which was shown here on pay TV. I remember him standing tall (comparatively) and hitting the quicks off the back foot back down the ground from about waist height. They are probably the best cricket shots I think I've ever seen.

Remarkable player really. Sustained excellence over a couple of decades barring a couple of lean patches. He deserves a long and happy retirement. Well played him.